Question regarding Klipsch KG5.5 Tractrix Horn "mods"

psychles

Hello all and good day!

I've been dedicated to my KG5.5s and have installed all the appropriate Bob Crites upgrades (platinum diaphragms and his beautiful crossover upgrade) and they sound very good, at this point.   

However, I noticed that the individual who owned these speakers before me modified the Tractrix horn body in such a way as to open up the area where the actual tweeter dome is exposed at the very point of the horn.  Although it appears they did make this modification carefully and there is no danger to the component, I am concerned about how this may impact the design of the horn and its performance. 

The speakers do sound good (PARTICULARLY since installing the new crossovers), but some recordings do sound a bit harsh in the higher registers and I don't know if it is just the fact that I noticed the modification (and my mind is playing tricks on me), if the change actually DID adversely impact the performance or if it is just the recording.

IF anyone has any experience with these horns, or has come across an issue like this, i would greatly appreciate any advice you have time to provide.  One final note, the standard opening looks as though it was 5-6mm wide - circling around the middle of the horn and the little cone in the middle.  The modification took this to an opening ranging from about 8 to as much as 10mm.

Thanks in advance.
-Mike

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Question regarding Klipsch KG5.5 Tractrix Horn "mods"
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2018, 12:27 am »
I am concerned about how this may impact the design of the horn and its performance.
Certainly it has some effect, it is a critical area.
Any photo?  Do you get rid the duck voice?
This is a Klipsch with mass stuffed.

psychles

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2018, 06:55 pm »
Thanks for your reply, FullRangeMan... I contacted Bob Crites and asked his opinion about the horns and he explained the rationale for the design and recommended that I find replacement pieces.   I've done some searching but just received my 2nd replacement Tractrix horn.  I installed the titanium diaphragms and replaced both horns and now I will sleep better at night. 

I haven't listened to enough music to be able to discern any real difference, but I "feel" better knowing that I'm not using unnecessarily modified bits.  :)

Cheers!
-Mike

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2018, 09:28 pm »
These horns you installed are made w/what material?