Bill Evans - "You Must Believe in Spring" - WOW!

funkmonkey

Re: Bill Evans - "You Must Believe in Spring" - WOW!
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2010, 05:11 am »
I've been just getting into Bill Evans.  I have always liked him but for some reason I never picked up any of his discs...

I grabbed this one about a month or two ago

Love it.

will order "You Must Believe in Spring" based on this thread...

This is the album I first heard that I will also pick up:

But where to go from there?  Any suggestions?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Sonny

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2010, 05:53 am »
Oh, just go crazy and buy the complete riverside recordings of Bill Evans' like I did and you won't be disappointed.  I have a ton, so it seems, of his stuff, and well, it's down right amazing...and if you like piano players...look for Mulgrew Miller...very little of his own stuff, but just saw him with Ron Carter, and Mulgrew was a stand out!

funkmonkey

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2010, 06:52 am »
Ha! Got it, just buy it all... thanks guys :wink:

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2010, 01:34 pm »
And after you get all of Bill Evans' stuff you can explore the music of other jazz pianists such as (in no particular order).....

1. Hampton Hawes
2. Oscar Peterson
3. Keith Jarrett
4. Bud Powell
5. Art Tatum
6. McCoy Tyner
7. Herbie Hancock
8. Ahmad Jamal
9. Wynton Kelly
10. Michel Pertucciani
11. Lennie Tristano
12. Mary Lou Williams
13. Kenny Drew
14. Vince Guaraldi
15. Phineas Newborn, Jr.

--Jerome

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2010, 02:58 pm »
What a great album that is. Sometimes when you're in the mood for some Bill Evans, nothing else could quite do it. A couple of his early Riverside albums with Scott LaFaro (bass) and Paul Motian (drms) are legendary. I'm thinking of Waltz for Debby and Sunday at the Village Vanguard from 1961. These were both recorded at the same gig at the Vanguard. It's hard to describe, with words, the beauty of this playing.
neo

funkmonkey

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2010, 04:38 pm »
And after you get all of Bill Evans' stuff you can explore the music of other jazz pianists such as (in no particular order).....

1. Hampton Hawes
2. Oscar Peterson
3. Keith Jarrett
4. Bud Powell
5. Art Tatum
6. McCoy Tyner
7. Herbie Hancock
8. Ahmad Jamal
9. Wynton Kelly
10. Michel Pertucciani
11. Lennie Tristano
12. Mary Lou Williams
13. Kenny Drew
14. Vince Guaraldi
15. Phineas Newborn, Jr.

--Jerome

:D  great list Jerome, 2, 3, 6, 7 & 14 have all found permanent homes in my collection already.

Surprised not to see Thelonious Monk, or Dave Brubeck in that list (long time favorites of mine, along with Oscar Peterson) perhaps they are too iconic to be suggested?  :wink:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jun 2010, 04:45 pm »
Since we're talking pianists....I'd add Marc Copeland to the list.

-Roy

funkmonkey

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2010, 04:47 pm »
What a great album that is. Sometimes when you're in the mood for some Bill Evans, nothing else could quite do it. A couple of his early Riverside albums with Scott LaFaro (bass) and Paul Motian (drms) are legendary. I'm thinking of Waltz for Debby and Sunday at the Village Vanguard from 1961. These were both recorded at the same gig at the Vanguard. It's hard to describe, with words, the beauty of this playing.
neo

These two are included in the "Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961," unless I am mistaken.  And I agree... Beautiful.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #29 on: 19 Jun 2010, 05:22 pm »
Surprised not to see Thelonious Monk, or Dave Brubeck in that list (long time favorites of mine, along with Oscar Peterson) perhaps they are too iconic to be suggested?  :wink:

There is no particular significance to them not appearing on that list.  It was merely 15 names that I pulled from the top of my head.  IMO Monk did most of his best work in a quartet setting with Charlie Rouse.  When I dropped the names above I was thinking mostly of jazz trios (though Hampton Hawes had a working trio and did some sessions as leader in a quartet).  Art Tatum was an exception too, though I can't say that I particularly enjoy his playing style.  I love Monk, however, and he is well represented in my music library both on vinyl and CD.  Check out the Mosaic 4 LP boxed set of Thelonious Monk at the It Club on 180g vinyl if you don't already have it.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2010, 01:51 am by jsaliga »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #30 on: 20 Jun 2010, 03:01 am »
A few picks that I enjoy....have a listen... :thumb:

Kenny Drew.... ...duo

Oscar Peterson..... ...solo

Horace Silver.... ...group

McCoy Tyner......group

Brad Mehldau......trio