What A Long Strange Trip

Toys4Boys

What A Long Strange Trip
« on: 29 Oct 2023, 02:34 pm »
I've been selling audio for over 40 years fueled by my first and most enduring love, music. Have been collecting records for over 50 years and played with a lot of gear for almost as long. Recently I was bitten by the DIY bug, in the process of building an Eros 2 phono pre, waiting for an ANK DAC1.1, getting ready to pull the trigger on a TU-8900. I've been intrigued by SET amps for a few decades but never played with any, the closest that I think I came was a pair of Jadis JA80s, glorious on some music a bit lacking on others and the price  :duh:

I have also been researching speakers to go with an SET and the XStatics seem to check off almost all the boxes, wish that I had the space and budget for the NX-Otica!

One box that they don't quite check off is the FlatPak aesthetics. Once upon a time I was married and had a house where I set up a nice wood shop, so now not much space to do woodwork. A poster had a link to veneersupplies.com and while I could probably do something like that for the baffle I'm wondering if there is a clever way to deal with the corner/edges?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: What A Long Strange Trip
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2023, 05:19 pm »
The TU-8900, especially with 2A3, seems to be a special amplifier.

A SET with typically highish output impedance really wants to see a loudspeaker with a fairly flkat impedance. What does teh impedance of the xstatic look like/

dave

Toys4Boys

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2023, 05:35 pm »
Here is a link https://gr-research.com/product/x-statik-kit/ to the product page, scroll down and there are graphs of freq. response and impedance.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2023, 05:52 pm »
One box that they don't quite check off is the FlatPak aesthetics. Once upon a time I was married and had a house where I set up a nice wood shop, so now not much space to do woodwork. A poster had a link to veneersupplies.com and while I could probably do something like that for the baffle I'm wondering if there is a clever way to deal with the corner/edges?

You will want to put 3/8" or larger roundovers on at least the vertical the edges of the baffles. The rest of the edges can be roundovers or chamfers whichever you prefer. I don't know if other types of profiles would compromise the integrity of the joints or not.

Toys4Boys

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2023, 05:57 pm »
Wouldn't the top edge become a problem if I use roundovers?

Toys4Boys

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2023, 06:08 pm »
I probably should have been more specific, I assume that you wouldn't be able to successfully fold against the grain to cover the top edge?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2023, 07:39 pm »
I probably should have been more specific, I assume that you wouldn't be able to successfully fold against the grain to cover the top edge?

Correct. If you are going to veneer the baffle, only use roundovers on the vertical edges.

Toys4Boys

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2023, 07:59 pm »
Okay, that would certainly eliminate the majority of edge work. I'm starting to think I will screw the front baffle to leave myself options.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2023, 06:30 pm »
Here is a link

Thanx.

With a SET the bottom half of the midrange is going to be affected by the impedance interaction. How it deals with the bump at teh bottom is a bit more complicated.

X-Stic is also an OB/box hybrid. Hard to get right.

f you are going to veneer the baffle, only use roundovers on the vertical edges.

Why? We have veneered many boxes with chamfers or none.

dave

Toys4Boys

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2023, 07:29 pm »
With a SET the bottom half of the midrange is going to be affected by the impedance interaction. How it deals with the bump at teh bottom is a bit more complicated.

Isn't the bump at the bottom somewhat innocuous as it is where the bass rolls off? In the mid range isn't that a result of the xover and somewhat common in multi-way speakers?

X-Stic is also an OB/box hybrid. Hard to get right.

Aren't all designs  :wink: I am intrigued by 300B amplifiers and would like to put together a somewhat affordable system around 1. From what I can find there are few options that fit the bill, biggest problem is I need a narrow front baffle.

Why? We have veneered many boxes with chamfers or none.

He was replying to my wondering if there were any tricks to simplify the edges. Living in a condo makes it difficult to do some things.

Mark