More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

karnana

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #280 on: 20 Mar 2018, 09:59 am »
any new finds that sound better so similar to sabaj DA3?
I couldn't find one yet. Instead I bought ifi isilencer3.0 for my sabaj da3 galaxy Note 4 combo. Great difference,  much more detail (%20 or more detail if I have to give a number) that I thought I couldn't have with da3. Absolutely give it a try.

Chein

« Reply #281 on: 20 Mar 2018, 09:23 pm »
I've gotten the idefender+ipower couple lately to power the DA3. If I had to describe the changes I would say the sound gets clearer, more natural and dynamic. The stereophony becomes larger, gets way deeper, the instruments don't overlay each other anymore in the depth. The sound from the DA3 was already really good by itself. The couple just improves it further. At the price point of the DA3 I dunno if it's worth it though, it doubles its price. Still I'm glad I invested in it knowing I will use it every time I get a new usb DAC (if it doesn't die on me :lol:).

karnana

« Reply #282 on: 21 Mar 2018, 07:17 am »
I've gotten the idefender+ipower couple lately to power the DA3. If I had to describe the changes I would say the sound gets clearer, more natural and dynamic. The stereophony becomes larger, gets way deeper, the instruments don't overlay each other anymore in the depth. The sound from the DA3 was already really good by itself. The couple just improves it further. At the price point of the DA3 I dunno if it's worth it though, it doubles its price. Still I'm glad I invested in it knowing I will use it every time I get a new usb DAC (if it doesn't die on me :lol:).
:o Exactly my thoughts but with isilencer3.0. I need to figure out to make idefender work portable before I buy one (maybe isilencer the powerbank?  :))

JohnR

« Reply #283 on: 22 Mar 2018, 03:31 pm »
This is a very interesting device indeed! With a flagship mobile ES9038Q2M DAC, battery, etc... But is it a major upgrade or even a different league comparing to SMSL IQ or Sabaj Da3 ? Technically on paper for sure it is but how different is it in real life in that particular device?

hard to know but it's able to run just as amp as well, which could be useful at times (e.g. on a plane).

What's the amp chip used in Topping NX4 DSD? Is it the same OPA1642+LMH6643 combo found in the original NX4 or a different set?
Using SABRE9602 amp will make 9038Q2M sound very close if not identical to 9018Q2C. Using TI's stuff like OPA1622 will make it sound different I guess, maybe even better.
EDIT: Ok, it's OPA2140-based, no additional info though.

It has a line out which (I assume) bypasses the headphone amp.

Like I need another DAC/amp, but still....

PS. Here's the manufacturer's page: http://tpdz.net/en/products/nx4dsd/index.htm

PPS. Also available now via amazon

randytsuch

« Reply #284 on: 22 Mar 2018, 06:06 pm »
There's a pretty long thread on 9038q2m boards at diyaudio
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/314935-es9038q2m-board.html

Sounds like with some mods, can get good sound out of them.

I already have too many projects or I'd probably pick one up.

o0o

« Reply #285 on: 3 Apr 2018, 11:19 pm »
hard to know but it's able to run just as amp as well, which could be useful at times (e.g. on a plane).

It has a line out which (I assume) bypasses the headphone amp.

Like I need another DAC/amp, but still....

PS. Here's the manufacturer's page: http://tpdz.net/en/products/nx4dsd/index.htm

PPS. Also available now via amazon

I've read some reviews and people tend to like NX4DSD more than Idea/Da2 or Da3. According to them it's just a bit more refined, more detailed and open and less "harsh". Seems like 9038 is indeed a worthy upgrade to 9018.

Even though I like my Sabaj Da2 + Etymotic Research ER4P set very much, it's a perfect match indeed, I'm wondering how much further NX4DSD + ER4XR can improve my on the go listening experience..?  8)

Yes, NX4DSD can be run as an amp only and it has line in and out in a single plug  :scratch:. Not sure if the lineout is not affected by the volume pot though.

Btw Topping has updated their website and all of their links has changed. NX4DSD is here now.

And we've got a new not so portable but very interesting Topping D50 DAC - a non-balanced brother of Topping DX7s Check it out!  :thumb:

karnana

« Reply #286 on: 7 Apr 2018, 03:09 pm »
isilencer your sabaj da2 or da3 for great difference. Recently I also added idefender to my da3 for the go with a small 18650 panasonic 3400mah power bank. Works without a problem.

JohnR

« Reply #287 on: 17 Apr 2018, 10:29 am »
It seems no-one's got the NX4 (DSD) yet, anyway I just ordered one so will report back. I'm assuming (hoping) that being battery powered it will work from my iPhone/iPad. Plus with the line in it can be used in planes etc. We'll see.

:thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #288 on: 23 Apr 2018, 09:16 am »

Investing in the cleanest power supply you can manage outweighs the value of the dac. This Lipo4(?)/LT3045 battery option showed up recently. I don't see the iPower competing with it, especially for the cost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-Battery-Regulated-Power-Supply-5V/273135946356?hash=item3f982bca74:g:vFIAAOSweq5av1nP

If you have the skills and want to really take your dac to a new level, replace the iPower with not one, but *two* LT3045 low noise regulators in series. I have a 6v board that feeds a 5v board. I can't overstate the impact. Floored me.

wushuliu

« Reply #289 on: 23 Apr 2018, 09:17 am »
It seems no-one's got the NX4 (DSD) yet, anyway I just ordered one so will report back. I'm assuming (hoping) that being battery powered it will work from my iPhone/iPad. Plus with the line in it can be used in planes etc. We'll see.

:thumb:

Awesome!

restrav

« Reply #290 on: 23 Apr 2018, 06:43 pm »
Investing in the cleanest power supply you can manage outweighs the value of the dac. This Lipo4(?)/LT3045 battery option showed up recently. I don't see the iPower competing with it, especially for the cost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-Battery-Regulated-Power-Supply-5V/273135946356?hash=item3f982bca74:g:vFIAAOSweq5av1nP

If you have the skills and want to really take your dac to a new level, replace the iPower with not one, but *two* LT3045 low noise regulators in series. I have a 6v board that feeds a 5v board. I can't overstate the impact. Floored me.

It looks like it is only the 5 volt and nothing else

JohnR

« Reply #291 on: 23 Apr 2018, 06:58 pm »
Awesome!

Looks like they put it on the slowest boat they could find  :lol: Anyway I'll update when it arrives.

charmerci

« Reply #292 on: 23 Apr 2018, 10:36 pm »
Looks like they put it on the slowest boat they could find  :lol: Anyway I'll update when it arrives.

Things shipped from China can take quite a while! Sometimes over a month - but they do get here in the States... though you're in OZ, right?

karnana

« Reply #293 on: 24 Apr 2018, 07:37 am »

how about using isilencer after ipower to feed the dac? Also will usb 5v board that feed 5v board work for usb dacs?
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2018, 02:12 pm by karnana »

Alaundo

« Reply #294 on: 24 Apr 2018, 10:09 am »
In difficult choice between Sabaj Da2 / Sabaj Da3. But anyway I'm not going to use balanced headphones or headphones with impedance higher than 100-150 (now using 32-70). Question: Is there any other reason to buy Sabaj Da3 instead of Sabaj Da2? Is there any big difference in sound, other then balanced output, and ability to power higher impedance headphones?

karnana

« Reply #295 on: 24 Apr 2018, 02:11 pm »
In difficult choice between Sabaj Da2 / Sabaj Da3. But anyway I'm not going to use balanced headphones or headphones with impedance higher than 100-150 (now using 32-70). Question: Is there any other reason to buy Sabaj Da3 instead of Sabaj Da2? Is there any big difference in sound, other then balanced output, and ability to power higher impedance headphones?

Lower noise level.

wushuliu

« Reply #296 on: 24 Apr 2018, 09:22 pm »
how about using isilencer after ipower to feed the dac?

iFi recommends trying out different positions for the isilencer/defender. You can try before or after iPower if you like and see how it sounds.

Also will usb 5v board that feed 5v board work for usb dacs?

? Not sure what you are referring to.

karnana

« Reply #297 on: 24 Apr 2018, 09:30 pm »
? Not sure what you are referring to.

I'm thinking of doing a usb to usb dongle with two 5V 1A LT3045 for sabaj and for my other other usb only dacs.

wushuliu

« Reply #298 on: 24 Apr 2018, 09:41 pm »
I'm thinking of doing a usb to usb with two 5V 1A LT3045 dongle for sabaj and for my other other usb only dacs.

You mean powered externally from like an idefender? What is the power source? You need at least 5.5v source to the LT to get 5v out to a dac.

wushuliu

« Reply #299 on: 24 Apr 2018, 09:59 pm »
For instance here is what I use now:

Adjustable Bench PS 7v-->LT3045A 6v-->LT3045B 5v-->Barrel Connector-->USB connector-->iDefender.