Vonage?

rodge827

Vonage?
« on: 23 Feb 2013, 04:06 am »
Well we got rid of the cable guy today and went with a Satellite set up.  :D

Next is the overpriced phone.

So are there any current or former Vonage users out there?

Opinions?

Alternatives?

Not trying to start any flames, just looking for experiences good or bad.  8)

Chris

Phil A

Re: Vonage?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2013, 04:25 am »
After I move next year, I'm probably going to try Ooma.  I've known people who have had Vonage and I've never heard horrible things but also never heard them enthusiastic about it.

andy_c

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2013, 04:49 am »
Well we got rid of the cable guy today and went with a Satellite set up.  :D

Next is the overpriced phone.

So are there any current or former Vonage users out there?

Hi Chris,

I have not used Vonage, but I've been a VoIP user for many years.  My most recent provider was Viatalk, but I would definitely not recommend them.

What I have now - and I really like it - is free, at least through 2013.  What I did was get an Obi100 adapter for $38 from Amazon, and this works together with Google Voice.  You sign up for a Google Voice number and follow the instructions for setting up the Obi100, which is specifically designed for use with Google voice.  Sound quality is better with the Obi than with Viatalk, and there's less latency, so I'm not constantly "talking at cross-purposes" with the person at the other end like I was with Viatalk.  Check out the Amazon reviews of the device.  You can set your Google Voice number to also ring your cell, so you'll have one number for everything.

On the negative side, there is no 911 service, but I have a cell phone service that provides that.  And caller ID doesn't seem to work, but you can block callers pretty easily.

For reviews of other VoIP providers, check out the VoIP forums at dslreports.com.

Philistine

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:06 am »
I had Vonage for 5 years - great quality and service.  The downside is that they gradually ramp up the charges year after year, I eventually moved to Ooma.  I now get letters every few weeks from Vonage enticing me back with special offers, which they refused to do when I was a customer.  Bottom line is that VOIP is a commodity, get a Ooma device and skip Vonage,

rodge827

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2013, 01:12 pm »
Gents,

Thanks for the responses and the information.
I will look into all of the suggestions and see if they will fit my needs.
My main need is to have a home phone with my existing number.
I have had this number since 1990, even though most of my business and personal calls come to my cell, some clients will still use my home/office number.

Chris

cliffy

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2013, 04:17 pm »
Check out Magic Jack Plus as well. I just switched my business lines over. I was paying $50/mo, incl taxes, for small business (1 phone + 1 fax number).   I had Vonage for at least 3 years.

I was able to port over my existing numbers and the annual cost is approx one months cost of Vonage.  It has been 2 months now and so far so good!

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:47 pm »
Check out Magic Jack Plus as well. I just switched my business lines over. I was paying $50/mo, incl taxes, for small business (1 phone + 1 fax number).   I had Vonage for at least 3 years.

I was able to port over my existing numbers and the annual cost is approx one months cost of Vonage.  It has been 2 months now and so far so good!

Have they resolved encryption issues with Magic Jack?  Have not followed it in a bit.  I'm still 10-11 months from being in position to move and get something for a home phone.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:23 pm »
I had Vonage for 5 years - great quality and service.  The downside is that they gradually ramp up the charges year after year, I eventually moved to Ooma.  I now get letters every few weeks from Vonage enticing me back with special offers, which they refused to do when I was a customer.  Bottom line is that VOIP is a commodity, get a Ooma device and skip Vonage,

I have Ooma and am thinking of going back to Vonage.  If you want features such as having a file sent to your email and having voice to text conversion, Ooma is about as expensive as Vonage.  Ooma also seems to have worse quality.  Ooma's device you use to access voicemail doesn't have true "buttons" and I've deleted many files accidentally. Since then, I've put their device away and don't use it. 

tomytoons

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:25 pm »
Had Vonage for 5 years here too, it was very good no problems.
Ramp up charges, yup. That cheap rate they advertise is for 3 months only.

Went with Time Warner on a special deal for one year.
The year was not up, they decide to charge a rental fee for the Phone Modem setup/ equipment. BS! Besides the political calls on that line drove me crazy, I was on No call list, more BS!

C YA, got rid of the house phone all together.

Sick of Time Warner (a lot of people are) and the sneaky greedy ways to jack the bill. Had the Phone equipment for 8 months and they decide to put a rental fee on it?

Now, 2  iPhone's 4S with data line contracts.
I have not got any crap calls, yet.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:55 pm »
  If you want features such as having a file sent to your email and having voice to text conversion,

Question, I don't text so I don't care about the second one.  What kind of file are you referring to be sent to e-mail?  I have e-mail which I can get on the iPhone and I'm just looking for something to be able to have 2 lines (yes I know I have to buy at least one expensive so-so Ooma phone) so I can fax once in a while and have the ability to make a long distance call once in a while.  Thanks

geowak

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:35 pm »
Don't know much about Vonage BUT I bought a Magic Jack and a regular home phone in the USA and created a state side phone number before I left for a year to Iraq. While there in Iraq, I knew I would have an internet connection for the phone and Magic Jack for Voip phone calls back home. Worked like a charm and I was only paying for the internet connection (I would have it, anyway) and a local phone bill charge.

Saved alot of money on phone cards and the Voip technology/service was better that I expected. So I would say yes to Voip and others will chime in who have used Vonage.

jermmd

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:53 pm »
Hi Chris,

I have not used Vonage, but I've been a VoIP user for many years.  My most recent provider was Viatalk, but I would definitely not recommend them.

What I have now - and I really like it - is free, at least through 2013.  What I did was get an Obi100 adapter for $38 from Amazon, and this works together with Google Voice.  You sign up for a Google Voice number and follow the instructions for setting up the Obi100, which is specifically designed for use with Google voice.  Sound quality is better with the Obi than with Viatalk, and there's less latency, so I'm not constantly "talking at cross-purposes" with the person at the other end like I was with Viatalk.  Check out the Amazon reviews of the device.  You can set your Google Voice number to also ring your cell, so you'll have one number for everything.

On the negative side, there is no 911 service, but I have a cell phone service that provides that.  And caller ID doesn't seem to work, but you can block callers pretty easily.

For reviews of other VoIP providers, check out the VoIP forums at dslreports.com.

I use OBI also and haven't paid a phone bill in the past year. I had vonage for years before that and the only issue was the $30/month. They were both easy to set up, clear and reliable. People think Google is going to start charging for Voice but they haven't yet and free is good.

You also get two lines with OBI. I have a cell phone but no plan. I use Obi/Voice to make calls and text from my cell phone as long as I have Wifi access (work, home, school, coffee shops, McD's, etc.). What can I say, I'm cheap.

Joe M.

andy_c

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:44 pm »
I use OBI also and haven't paid a phone bill in the past year. I had vonage for years before that and the only issue was the $30/month. They were both easy to set up, clear and reliable. People think Google is going to start charging for Voice but they haven't yet and free is good.

It seems the downside of the Obi for the OP is that GV only allows porting from a mobile number, and the OP wants to keep his existing home number.  I've heard of people first porting their home number to a cell phone, then from the cell to GV, but that sounds like a real PITA, especially if you don't want to lose your existing cell number.

You also get two lines with OBI. I have a cell phone but no plan. I use Obi/Voice to make calls and text from my cell phone as long as I have Wifi access (work, home, school, coffee shops, McD's, etc.). What can I say, I'm cheap.

Didn't know about that feature!  I am using the cheapo PagePlus cellular service - 10 bucks for 100 minutes that last for 4 months.  When you replenish with another 10 bucks after 4 months, any leftover minutes roll over.  Data is crazy expensive though, so I just shut off data and texting from their web site and only use wi-fi for data.  Main use of the phone is for any possible automotive emergency to call AAA, and for 911 service, so I need it to work where there's no wi-fi available.

jermmd

« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:00 am »
It seems the downside of the Obi for the OP is that GV only allows porting from a mobile number, and the OP wants to keep his existing home number.  I've heard of people first porting their home number to a cell phone, then from the cell to GV, but that sounds like a real PITA, especially if you don't want to lose your existing cell number.

Didn't know about that feature!  I am using the cheapo PagePlus cellular service - 10 bucks for 100 minutes that last for 4 months.  When you replenish with another 10 bucks after 4 months, any leftover minutes roll over.  Data is crazy expensive though, so I just shut off data and texting from their web site and only use wi-fi for data.  Main use of the phone is for any possible automotive emergency to call AAA, and for 911 service, so I need it to work where there's no wi-fi available.

I ported my home phone to the cheapest cell phone I could find and then to OBi. It was a pain and I think the phone cost $60.

I'm already paying for 4 cell phones between my wife and kids so I can use their phones if I need access where there's no WIFI and we have those phones at home for 911. We also have an auto dial on the home phone listed under 911 in the phone's phonebook that calls the local police directly. And the home phone is linked to the cell phone via bluetooth so we have a ton of options for 911 that hopefully we'll never need. My family knows how to call for help from my house but a stranger probably wouldn't figure it out without being told. Hopefully they have enough sense to use a cell phone if they need 911.

Also, you don't need a cell phone plan or contract for 911 service. A working mobile phone not linked to any service plan can still dial 911 for help.  That's actually the primary reason I carry my cell phone. Driving on back country roads at all times and in all weather can be dangerous and I need 911 access.

Joe M.

andy_c

« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2013, 02:15 am »
Wow, sounds like you've really got it covered Joe, and at minimal cost too.

I didn't know those tidbits about 911 with cell phones, as I am pretty new to the whole cell phone thing.  I had originally thought of abandoning a land line completely, until I found out I could do the whole thing cheaper with the Obi.  So now I just go with that and the bare bones cell service.

Philistine

« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2013, 11:44 am »
If anyone is interested in Ooma there's a deal going on today in TechWoot for a Telo:

http://tech.woot.com

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm »
If anyone is interested in Ooma there's a deal going on today in TechWoot for a Telo:

http://tech.woot.com

Saw that.  Costco also has the units and their price is a bit higher (for new units) - $129.99

Crimson

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2013, 12:27 pm »
I've had four lines with Vonage for about 5 years as well, and recently had two of them ported over to Comcast as part of a promotional package. So far, I'd rate them about the same in terms of quality and features. Once the Comcast promotion expires, and if they refuse to match Vonage's cheaper rates, I'll switch them back.

As far as Vonage price increases, I've only had one in the years I've used them (a dollar per line increase about two years ago).

finsup

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm »
Gents,

Thanks for the responses and the information.
I will look into all of the suggestions and see if they will fit my needs.
My main need is to have a home phone with my existing number.
I have had this number since 1990, even though most of my business and personal calls come to my cell, some clients will still use my home/office number.

Chris

I have been using Vonage for 5 years.  Great feature set of options that comes with their service, most of them free.  The only issue I have had is when my ISP has a problem. 

They recently offered a $9.99/mo permanent rate for Unlimited Calls to US, Canada, and PR.