Life without a kitchen sink sucks.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Life without a kitchen sink sucks.
« on: 4 Apr 2013, 06:08 pm »
I discovered a difference nuance to the expression, everything but the kitchen sink.  It's not just an expression about over-packing:  it also means the kitchen sink is a necessity in a house that should not be removed.

I discovered this as I had to do without a kitchen sink (and the whole kitchen) for 2 weeks while the kitchen was getting a facelift.  You can figure out a way to cook with portable gadgets and grill, but it's a pain in the ass to wash dishes without a sink.  It's still too cold to use the garden hose on the deck which meant the scraps had to be emptied first and carried to a sink to be washed.   We don't use disposable utensils because it's not a green thing to do.  It's my wife's stand that I more or less go along with.  I drew the line at paper towel though.  She relented under the condition that we use  recycled paper, but I digress.   The bottom line is that we ate out a lot. :duh: 

We went to fancy places a couple of times but mostly ate at your run of the mill neighborhood places.  Guess what?  Silver Diner, Ruby Tuesday, Cheesecake Factory, Noodles and Company, Chipotle and Glory Days (local chain sports bar) all taste about the same.  It doesn't matter what kind of cuisine.  They all taste about the same.  Neighborhood Chinese and Thai are a little more "original" but even they end up being same old, same old.  And you can't eat Subway more than twice a week.   :nono:  The best food I had was at a Wholefood seafood bar where I had seared yellow fin tuna with arugula salad and parsley potato.  Man, I missed home cooking and our kitchen!

The kitchen is now finished and I am looking forward to a good home cooked meal tonight.

decal

Re: Life without a kitchen sink sucks.
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2013, 06:53 pm »
Agreed, the sink is one fixture most folks take for granted.

galyons

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2013, 07:16 pm »
I feel for you!  I suffered through a few weeks without a proper kitchen during our remodel.  I have camping stuff... stove, plastics sink, etc.  So, not a major hardship.  The payoff  was well worth it.  Six burner cook top, light, more open,warming oven, light... a huge improvement.

Yes all factory restaurant  food is pretty much the same. Processed, pre-portioned products far removed from real food.

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2013, 09:55 pm by galyons »

Bizarroterl

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2013, 07:40 pm »
Our kitchen consists of a fridge, microwave, and a toaster oven on a 5' folding table.  Been that way since early January.  We eat out a lot and use a lot of paper plates/cups, and plasticware.

Drywall is likely going in next week.  Once it is in my job starts.  I'm doing all the finish; paint, flooring (install), trim (install), cabinets (build & install), etc.

The kitchen gets done first.  Someday (really soon per my wife) we'll have a kitchen again.   :?

jneutron

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2013, 08:42 pm »
Sheesh.  We were without for 6 months while they built the addition.  Had a 2 cubic foot fridge, a microwave, and a coffee maker, stacked and put up against the 2 inch thick pink foam I put in the doorway against the plywood.  Twas winter after all.

All went well, but when they were done I was unable to lift the microwave.  Turned out they put a 3.5 inch nail into the back of the micro.

We certainly did our share of visiting local watering holes and eats..

jb

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2013, 08:45 pm »
I went through the kitchen remodel about 7 years back.  It connects to the laundry room.  I had the cabinets refaced but ripped up all the old floor and did the tile myself, which included tile on the side of and in front of a fireplace.  I had to it in stages.  I did the pantry separately so once that was done, the laundry room was next so that I could move the washer and dryer back and put a new laundry tub in (so I also could have a sink when I got to the kitchen).  The roughest part was the end when I had done everything and they came in and did the refacing and for a few days I had no kitchen at all.  That's why in the new house being built I got what I want in the kitchen as I don't want to have to be doing that again.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2013, 09:03 pm »
My kitchen is going in as I type, the kicks are level and screwed down and the installers are setting boxes. I'm making the doors and finished ends in my spare time.

I cultivate friendships with people who have things so I was able to borrow a 31' Fleetwood Tioga for 3 months while the remodel happened. Those RV's look bigger on the outside than they are on the inside so how people choose to live in those things when they retire is beyond me. Since I lived on site the Tioga became a combination storage locker, construction office and dorm room. When I moved out last week I was amazed how much stuff it could hold.

A crock pot and microwave has been keeping me well fed although I seem to be going through more beer.

Wayne

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2013, 10:03 pm »
We redid our kitchen in the Fall.  I was the GC on that one too, and engineered the subs so that we ended up only without a sink for 2 days during the 6 week process.

At one point we had a piece of counter 1 foot bigger than that sink for 2 days, but we could still pour stuff out, and wash stuff!

The end of the project is very rewarding, you will love what you end up with.