Making A Fine Cup

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Making A Fine Cup
« Reply #20 on: 11 Mar 2016, 04:05 pm »
I find it has a more robust, deeper kind of flavor. Also not as bitter in comparison to store bought, packaged kinds of coffee available in the US. Have never tried fresh ground, so not comparing to that, just the packaged stuff: Maxwell House, Starbucks, etc., other off the shelf types.
Wow I surprised you liked it, as here the coffee sell to the local consumers are know to be the rest from the best exports coffies and some brands still mix corn or black haricot beans w/the coffee during roasting.

So I am more resigned, thanks for inform.
The best brand here is this Tradicional flavor(roasting traditional-medium temp):

Avoid the Extra Forte(extra Strong) its hi temp roasting:

randytsuch

« Reply #21 on: 11 Mar 2016, 04:13 pm »
I find it has a more robust, deeper kind of flavor. Also not as bitter in comparison to store bought, packaged kinds of coffee available in the US. Have never tried fresh ground, so not comparing to that, just the packaged stuff: Maxwell House, Starbucks, etc., other off the shelf types.

Not trying to sound like a snob, but that stuff is nasty, preground  Maxwell House, Starbucks etc.
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, buy a hand grinder and you can at least grind your own beans.
I have a hand grinder for when I travel, so I can take some beans with me and make decent coffee.

Doublej

« Reply #22 on: 11 Mar 2016, 04:38 pm »
Two words: Cold Brew. Spend $3 once for a cup at Peet's Coffee so you know how good it can be. They served it iced.

One of the challenges with replicating their brew at home is figuring out how to make ice that is soooo clear.

persisting1

« Reply #23 on: 14 Mar 2016, 08:53 pm »
My daily driver is a large Bee House Ceramic Single Cup for my pour over. I use a #4 Melitta filter and couldn't bee happier (sorry, had to do it)  :icon_lol:

It's really hard to to mess up a cup of coffee when using the Bee House. It doesn't take all that long to make.  A timer to allow the water to cool the the desired temperature. A pre set setting for my desired grind.  A kitchen scale to weigh the beans and water. Are there easier ways to make coffee? There is, but I really enjoy the ritual.

Pretty tasty bean water.

Bee House

randytsuch

« Reply #24 on: 14 Mar 2016, 09:29 pm »
My daily driver is a large Bee House Ceramic Single Cup for my pour over. I use a #4 Melitta filter and couldn't bee happier (sorry, had to do it)  :icon_lol:

It's really hard to to mess up a cup of coffee when using the Bee House. It doesn't take all that long to make.  A timer to allow the water to cool the the desired temperature. A pre set setting for my desired grind.  A kitchen scale to weigh the beans and water. Are there easier ways to make coffee? There is, but I really enjoy the ritual.

Pretty tasty bean water.

So you really weigh while adding water?  And I thought I was anal  :lol:

persisting1

« Reply #25 on: 14 Mar 2016, 09:42 pm »
So you really weigh while adding water?  And I thought I was anal  :lol:

Ha. I guess I am  :D

I just got a new electric kettle. Has measurements on the kettle itself. I now just fill it up to where I know is the correct weight.

Folsom

« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2016, 09:53 pm »
I do a pour over as well. I want to get the Bee ceramic thing though, mine doesn't sit on cups that well.

I use the unbleached filters but I pour boiling hot water through them first.

I DO NOT have my turntable in the kitchen...

rockadanny

« Reply #27 on: 14 Mar 2016, 10:00 pm »
buy a hand grinder and you can at least grind your own beans.

I think I will try that once we land somewhere more permanent (transitional quarters at the moment).

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #28 on: 14 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm »
So is the key with the pour over method having the right amount of coffee beans with the right amount of water? I'm guessing that's why I see a lit of people weighing their coffee.

I tried a Chemex pot over the weekend and was making just enough for one cup at a time and thought it tasted just ok. Not nearly as flavorful and full bodied as the aeropress. Or maybe I just prefer the aeropress...

2bigears

« Reply #29 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:27 am »
 :D   haha,,,, a TT on the kitchen counter ,,,,   that's funny.  :D :D  just might make the cup-o-joe taste better !!!! you know ,,
                   the ambience ,,,,, :D

persisting1

« Reply #30 on: 15 Mar 2016, 07:18 pm »
So is the key with the pour over method having the right amount of coffee beans with the right amount of water? I'm guessing that's why I see a lit of people weighing their coffee.

I tried a Chemex pot over the weekend and was making just enough for one cup at a time and thought it tasted just ok. Not nearly as flavorful and full bodied as the aeropress. Or maybe I just prefer the aeropress...

Water to bean ratio is important. I like to experiment. Some coffees i like stronger, so i'll add more grounds.

Here are some directions.
https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/drip

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #31 on: 15 Mar 2016, 09:14 pm »
Water to bean ratio is important. I like to experiment. Some coffees i like stronger, so i'll add more grounds.

Here are some directions.
https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/drip

Thanks. I was also told today that how fast/slow you pour the water has an effect as well.

randytsuch

« Reply #32 on: 15 Mar 2016, 11:42 pm »
Thanks. I was also told today that how fast/slow you pour the water has an effect as well.

From the blue bottle instructions
Step 7
Starting at the bed’s center, gently pour twice the amount of water that you have coffee into your grounds – for example, 50 grams of water if you have 25 grams of coffee. Work your way outward gently, and avoid pouring down the sides of the filter. You’ll notice that adding this amount of water causes the coffee to expand, or “bloom.” Allow it to do so for between 30 and 45 seconds. A solid bloom will ensure even water dispersion – and a delicious cup later on.

I've seen many similar instructions elsewhere, don't "drown" the coffee at the beginning, pour enough water to get the grounds wet and then let it bloom.

BTW, 50 grams of water is also is 50 ml, so its not that hard to figure out, you don't have to weigh the water.  I might have to try being more exact with the water, and see if I can tell the difference.

Randy

Folsom

« Reply #33 on: 16 Mar 2016, 12:24 am »
I think all the weighing and stuff is for nerds. It's not hard to eyeball. Plus you can adjust to taste.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #34 on: 16 Mar 2016, 12:37 am »
I think all the weighing and stuff is for nerds. It's not hard to eyeball. Plus you can adjust to taste.

Yeah, I'm really not wanting to measure or weigh so I just eyeballed it to make a full cup worth and came away wondering what the appeal is to pour over. It tasted pretty much like a cleaner or clearer version of drip whereas the aeropress I use is more similar to espresso which whenever I do go to a coffee shop I always order an espresso rather than their regular coffee.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #35 on: 16 Mar 2016, 12:41 am »
From the blue bottle instructions
Step 7
Starting at the bed’s center, gently pour twice the amount of water that you have coffee into your grounds – for example, 50 grams of water if you have 25 grams of coffee. Work your way outward gently, and avoid pouring down the sides of the filter. You’ll notice that adding this amount of water causes the coffee to expand, or “bloom.” Allow it to do so for between 30 and 45 seconds. A solid bloom will ensure even water dispersion – and a delicious cup later on.

I've seen many similar instructions elsewhere, don't "drown" the coffee at the beginning, pour enough water to get the grounds wet and then let it bloom.

BTW, 50 grams of water is also is 50 ml, so its not that hard to figure out, you don't have to weigh the water.  I might have to try being more exact with the water, and see if I can tell the difference.

Randy

I'll give it another try in the morning and see if it comes out any better for my taste. Looking back, I probably was drowning the coffee a bit too much.

srb

« Reply #36 on: 16 Mar 2016, 12:44 am »
..... whenever I do go to a coffee shop I always order an espresso rather than their regular coffee.

Drip, pour-over, French press, Aeropress are all subtle variations of the same theme.  But there's a markedly different flavor profile with pressure extracted espresso - which is why an Americano tastes different (better to my taste) than a coffee when both are prepared to the same strength with the same coffee beans.

Steve

persisting1

« Reply #37 on: 16 Mar 2016, 09:55 pm »

Nerds can have fun too  8)