Gin!

kenreau

Re: Gin! -> Big Bottoms
« Reply #40 on: 5 Jun 2015, 05:18 pm »
Tossing out a local favorite Gin that recently became available.  Big Bottom is a local Oregon distillery that started with great Bourbons a few years ago and now has expanded in to Gin.  Fwiw, Big Bottom refers to a local protected wilderness area in the National Forest.

Per web info.
Big Bottom Oregon Gin is the first of our in-house distilled products to be released. It contains 16 botanicals that offer a complex bouquet of floral qualities complementing the juniper. A slightly sweet gin with non-traditional gin characters, it boasts a rich, full mouth feel with a creamy body that finishes with a hint of spice. Big Bottom Oregon Gin received a Gold Medal at the 2015 American Craft Spirits Association (ACSA) Awards

http://www.bigbottomdistilling.com/oregon-gin.php

Kenreau

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #41 on: 5 Jun 2015, 06:20 pm »
Tossing out a local favorite Gin that recently became available.  Big Bottom is a local Oregon distillery that started with great Bourbons a few years ago and now has expanded in to Gin.  Fwiw, Big Bottom refers to a local protected wilderness area in the National Forest.

Per web info.
Big Bottom Oregon Gin is the first of our in-house distilled products to be released. It contains 16 botanicals that offer a complex bouquet of floral qualities complementing the juniper. A slightly sweet gin with non-traditional gin characters, it boasts a rich, full mouth feel with a creamy body that finishes with a hint of spice. Big Bottom Oregon Gin received a Gold Medal at the 2015 American Craft Spirits Association (ACSA) Awards

Kenreau

Sounds delicious. Would really like to try the Navy Strength Gin when it becomes available.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: Gin!
« Reply #42 on: 22 Jun 2015, 05:54 pm »
My wife and I are drinking Islay Dry Gin at the moment (paired with Naturally Lite Fever Tree Tonic). Our consensus is that it's a bit "meh." So far we prefer Hendrick's and Tanqueray No. 10 as being more flavorful and complex. 

R_burke

« Reply #43 on: 22 Jun 2015, 07:04 pm »

Per web info.

Kenreau

Have you tried Aviation, it's another small batch gin made in Oregon  http://aviationgin.com/

Markd51

« Reply #44 on: 14 Jul 2015, 12:50 am »
Sapphire has usually been my go-to best Gin, and many years ago, getting a Gin in Chicago at Sams wines called Bradburns, was very good, and also very inexpensive, then it was gone, forever. (sob)

I'm usually a 4-1 ratio for my tastes, on the rocks. And I always make my martinis a little "dirty", with just a drop or two of Olive Juice, or brine from Pickled Onions (Gibson)

There sure is a difference between drinking 80 proof, and 94 proof, I usually have to be careful, otherwise quickly wind up in "La La Land"!  LOL

It's often hard finding good cheap Gins, Gins like Seagrams taste like Lighter Fluid to me. And not much a lover of heavily "doped" Gins either, some are like somebody tossed a Christmas Tree in the Vat.

Lately, I've been buying a very cheap Gin but IMO quite drinkable called Coulsons, and buy it at our local Walgreens Liquor Dept.  Gordons isn't bad, fairly neutral, but I think Coulsons is even better, and only paying either $11 or $12 for a 1.75L Bottle.  try it if you can find it, you might like it?

Then there's the personal choice of "condiments".  Me, I like Olives stuffed with Blue Cheese, or Roquefort, and stuff them myself, not the somewhat nasty ones already made.   Another is Anchovy Stuffed Olives, like from Goya, or others.

And another fav, was brined Mushrooms.  Used to buy them at the Chicago Farmer's Market years ago, they were called 'Shrooms Kitchen" in Wisconsin, but I think now go under another name.  I think you can still find them under the moniker I mention above.

Here they are, just edited my post, really tops in my book!
  http://rivervalleykitchens.com/

They have them spicy, and then what they call "Hotters", with Habanero.  Really good, and was going to order some a few months ago, but sadly, the shipping was more money than the Mushrooms.

I might try my hand at making some here homemade.  Basically just White Vinegar, Salt, Water, Peppers,  maybe a few Peppercorns, either Jalapeno, or a little Habanero if one can take the heat.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jul 2015, 03:45 am »
I like Hendricks with Fever Tree Tonic and a spritz of lemon or lime.  If I can't get Fever Tree, then I prefer Seagram's Tonic water.

ACHiPo

« Reply #46 on: 14 Jul 2015, 04:48 am »
New Amsterdam is my fave for G&Ts, Boodles for martinis, and Bombay in a pinch.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #47 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:01 pm »
I'm working through a bottle of Beefeater 24. It's drinkable but a big disappointment considering the price. Hendricks remain the most complex and interesting gin I've tried so far.

ACHiPo

« Reply #48 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:27 pm »
Did anyone ever try Tanquerey Malacca gin?  It made fantastic martinis.  Unfortunately is no longer available.  :(

Markd51

« Reply #49 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:28 pm »
I've often wondered about Gins, and with my experiences of likes with different Gins, Boodles. Tanq, Beefeater, Bombay, etc.

Not sure what it is, whether Gins considerably change in flavor as years pass, or was it personal tastes?

Used to like Boodles, then seemed after awhile, the flavor changed, and then didn't much like it.  Same with Tanqueray, Sapphire, and Beefeater too.   Seems they come and go?

I can perhaps understand minor batch to batch differences, but swore total recipe changes with them at times.

sts9fan

« Reply #50 on: 14 Jul 2015, 03:54 pm »
I love gin and when its summer I LOVE a Negroni!

Markd51

« Reply #51 on: 23 Jul 2015, 05:27 pm »
Just a quick question about all Gins, as some of you may be much more knowledgeable than I.

I was always under a past belief and understanding that any Gin labeled such as "London Dry Gin" then indeed is distilled and imported from London UK.  And not any other country such as USA.

Is this correct?

This Coulson's Gin I mentioned previously does clearly state such on the Bottles, "London Dry Gin", and in smaller print at the bottom of the front label it only says "Bottled By Barton Brands", in KY.  No mention of origin of distillery.
Thanks, Mark

ctviggen

« Reply #52 on: 24 Jul 2015, 12:24 am »
I've tried a ton of gins, in gin and tonics (with light tonics, but not diet, which has a bad taste).  I do think Hendricks is one of the best.  Some of the gins are too over the top. 

persisting1

« Reply #53 on: 23 Sep 2015, 06:57 pm »
I love gin and when its summer I LOVE a Negroni!

A cold Negroni on a hot day can make all your problems melt away.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #54 on: 23 Sep 2015, 07:20 pm »
First time I noticed a gin review site. Might be old news to others.

http://www.ginreviews.com/

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #55 on: 23 Sep 2015, 07:33 pm »
We've been enjoying 'The Botanist' from the Isle of Islay ("eye-la"):
http://www.bruichladdich.com/the-botanist-islay-dry-gin

It's great mixed with some locally made tonics:
https://phillipsbeer.com/4-new-tonics

Yum!

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #56 on: 23 Sep 2015, 08:16 pm »
Right now, I'm enjoying a Tanqueray Negroni prepared by a neighbor ...  and it's not even 5pm! Next up ... Hot Tuna Burgers on the tt. I mean the record by the band Hot Tuna ... I'm not actually going to put tuna burgers on the turtable, which of course would be silly.

My, this is good!

Tanqueray Negroni
Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces gin -- Tanqueray
3/4 ounce Campari
3/4 ounce vermouth -- Italian vermouth
cocktail glass
Negroni Instructions:
Shake well with cracked ice, then strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a twist of orange peel

R_burke

« Reply #57 on: 23 Sep 2015, 09:06 pm »
I like Hendricks with Fever Tree Tonic and a spritz of lemon or lime.  If I can't get Fever Tree, then I prefer Seagram's Tonic water.

Works for me, especially the Fever Tree Tonic and in my case a spritz of lime - I like Hendricks, but there are some others I like better

twitch54

« Reply #58 on: 23 Sep 2015, 09:26 pm »
Longtime Gin drinker here myself…………

for "G & Q" (quinine / tonic) you can't beat Tanqueray IMO and for the $$ Gordons is a respectable substitute

as for a Martini, there are two basic styles of Gin, London Dry and Plymouth (the first, dates back to 1793 I believe). My go-to's are Bombay Sapphire   and Plymouth gin with Boodles being my 'economy' favorite. I drink them extra dry so here's my recipe……

start with a martini glass packed in crushed ice, pour in some dry vermouth over it, set aside. Next filled your ice filled shaker to the desired level with gin, set aside. Engage in conversation with those around you and zest a lemon (yeah I'm a lemon guy not olive). After a minute or two dump the contents of the martini glass down the drain ! take your zested lemon and ring it around edge of glass and deposit into same. Shake chilled gin, strain / pour in glass and sip away !

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #59 on: 23 Sep 2015, 09:30 pm »
We've been enjoying 'The Botanist' from the Isle of Islay ("eye-la"):
http://www.bruichladdich.com/the-botanist-islay-dry-gin

It's great mixed with some locally made tonics:
https://phillipsbeer.com/4-new-tonics

Yum!

It didn't really appeal to me and was wife had an allergic reaction every time she took a sip. But I guess that's why the market has so many different gins.

I had a $45 bottle of Hayman's on the back seat when a guy forced me to brake hard. Needless to say ended up wishing the distiller had used a thicker glass on its bottle. :evil: