Smoked Turkey Legs for Thanksgiving

bearman2

Smoked Turkey Legs for Thanksgiving
« on: 20 Nov 2012, 10:48 pm »
I am looking for some good recipes for smoked turkey legs for Thanksgiving. Just received a new smoker and want to try some wings and legs.

JCarney

Re: Smoked Turkey Legs for Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2012, 11:23 pm »
I would recommend a simple brine. 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar, 1 gallon of water. Heat the water and dissolve the sugar and salt. Add some ice to cool it down, add turkey legs, cover and refrigerate over night. Gets the seasoning into the meat. You can also play with adding flavors to the brine.Throw a few whole peppercorns, a cut in half head of garlic, and a couple of bay leaves in there for a more savory finish. The brine will keep the legs from drying out as much during smoking for a juicy hunk of Thanksgiving heaven. Smoking should take only a couple of hours, four at the most.

Hope this helps,
JCarney

djbnh

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2012, 11:43 pm »
We're getting a whole smoked turkey from a barbecue place in NH that uses an Oyler for 12 hours, should be great. I'd also be interested in any home recipes that might work in a Weber kettle. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2012, 03:15 am »
All through my childhood, all I'd eat for Thanksgiving were the turkey legs. In fact I was the only one who even liked them so both legs were all mine. :hyper:

But that was then. Today I've done a 180 and all I like is breast meat and now I only get a breast meat roast w/o the legs & wings. And because I'm both single & w/o family, that's all mine too.  :lol:

Happy thanksgiving to you & yours (and a Happy Thanksgiving for me if Dallas beats Washington) :green:

Cheers,
Robin

Ern Dog

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2012, 03:15 am »
This year I'm trying an over-night brine for the turkey, then rub it down with butter and herbs for a good roast.  I've tried brining chicken and liked the results.  The meat is moister and more flavorful, so it should be good for a turkey as well. 

Good luck with smoking.  I hope I get a smoker for Christmas :)

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2012, 04:09 am »
Is it legal to smoke a turkey leg?  :dunno:  :smoke:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2012, 10:29 am »
I always brine the turkey before the big day.  No way I could get away with smoking the bird- there'd be a mutiny! :lol:  My sister especially would burn the house down if I didn't make stuffing. :thumb: