PSB B25

chgolatin2

PSB B25
« on: 25 Jan 2010, 07:30 am »
I made a purchase for the above name speaker not too long ago, new for just $299.  I was a bit skeptical about a low price bookshelf speaker but after taking it home, let it burn in for 40 hours of all types of music.  This little speaker is one good speaker and a good value at its price point.  I really dont know who or which speaker can really compete.  Overall, nice product!

chgolatin2

Re: PSB B25
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2010, 12:49 am »
Nobody uses PSB's???? :scratch: :o :?

oldmp3

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2010, 12:55 am »
+1.

I had the B25s and a C40 center for about 6 months and was very happy with them.  At their price point, a fantastic value.  The whole Image line was/is excellent.  The T45/55/65 (previous versions of the Image series) are a great upgrade and pretty cheap now.

Enjoy.

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2010, 01:00 am »
I've heard only one model from PSB ( do not remember the model) floorstanders for $999. It was during one of the CES shows in Vegas. Back then they were considered an excellent value.

But you are right. It isn't easy to come up with many  speakers (new) in that price range. ( excluding DIY that is)

Mariusz

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2010, 01:56 am »
I don't use them, but I have heard them.

Up here in Canada (where PSB is designed and built) we have a lot of decent mid priced speakers, I believe it is due to the National Research Council's testing rooms that Canadian companies are allowed to use.

I use Energy speakers in my main floor HT, but I did consider PSB, Paradigm, Mirage, Athena - all CDN firms.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2010, 02:01 am »
Nobody uses PSB's???? :scratch: :o :?

Several years ago I used a pair of small PSB bookshelves, model forgotten, about 12" Tall, 10" Wide, and another 10" or so depth.  The speakers were intended for presents, but I ended up using them for a long while.  Since then I've heard a number of PSB's, and I've always liked them.  The tonality (personality) of their speakers somehow strike a harmonious chord in my brain.  I just like the sound they put out very much, warm, dimensional.  The Canadian government provides the right research for all these Canadian speaker builders/designers, and must be doing something right.  As a result, all these Canadian speaker makers put out very, very reasonably-priced boxes.  One cannot beat them in terms of price and performance.  Perhaps, perhaps, the Chinese may one day give the Canadians some heat.  But, right now, PSBs are just good cheaper speakers.  Other Canadians brands are pretty good too.

baldrick

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2010, 07:35 pm »
I've owned various PSBs for 20 years now.  I've never NOT had a pair of PSBs in the house in service.The love affair started back in the eighties with the excellent 30R speaker that sounded like it was five times the size of it's minimonitor enclosure.  Coupled with PSB's giant passive subwoofer that doubled as a television stand that pair of PSBs performed at levels of sound quality that would have cost thousands more from another manufacturer.

Since then there have been several PSB sets rotate through my listening room(s).

And even though my main system uses Martin Logan ESLs I still have a pair of PSB Alphas in my secondary system.

I think that PSBs represent some of the best values around.

chgolatin2

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:34 pm »
I'm still amazed as to how well these bookshelf sound, the bass is superb and detail is just amazing!  Yes, they are pretty much a bargain.  Also made in Canada and not somewhere in China like some other "HIGH END AUDIO EQUIPMENT!!!" 

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:55 pm »
Umm, not to put a damper on the Canadian love affair since I'm a Canuck... but the Lenbrook folks confirmed at CES that PSB speakers are now manufacturered in China. 

mshan

« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2010, 04:15 pm »
Is NAD electronics the optimal synergistic match for PSB house sound?

And can anyone characterize how the Paradigm house sound differs from PSB?

baldrick

« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2010, 04:32 pm »
It is the financial and logistical synergistic match for Lenbrook, since they own both brands.
However, PSB has always sounded great on NAD amplifiers and it just plain makes sense to optimize the electronics for their own brand of speakers and their characteristic loads, no?

chgolatin2

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2010, 07:37 am »
Wow, seems like "MOST" things in this world is made by a freaking communist country that "WE" support!  Whatever happen to buying AMERICAN and SUPPORTING OUR OWN ECONOMY?  Something is wrong in this country, sad!

Umm, not to put a damper on the Canadian love affair since I'm a Canuck... but the Lenbrook folks confirmed at CES that PSB speakers are now manufacturered in China.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2010, 11:06 am »
I'm still amazed as to how well these bookshelf sound, the bass is superb and detail is just amazing!  Yes, they are pretty much a bargain.  Also made in Canada and not somewhere in China like some other "HIGH END AUDIO EQUIPMENT!!!"

Are they really made in Canada, and not China, these days?  :scratch:

baldrick

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2010, 12:08 pm »
Although all of the research, development and testing is done in Canada, most of the manufacturing is done in China with Chinese sourced components.

Want a killer speaker under $1000?  Sorry, you'll be sending some of that money to China.

chgolatin2:  Without trying to turn this thread into a political hot potato, if you object to Chinese-made goods then put your money where it counts.

chgolatin2

« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2010, 05:23 pm »
I dont object on the above reference threat however, its just amazes me how the "American way of life and Support" has diminished.  Nothing wrong with getting good deals or products if they are made GOOD and are excellent for their value.  However, and in case your not fully aware.  I am an AMERICAN SOLDIER so yes I put my sacrifice where it counts, lastly, I am also a Veteran of the Iraq/Afghanistan war.  Due to my service to my country I am currently considered "disable" so with that said I am not knocking down China or any product being made overseas  :nono: :scratch: :roll:

chgolatin2

« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2010, 02:23 pm »
Skiing Ninja to the rescue, getting my crossover replaced and modded the the guru himself  :thumb:  I was amaze as to how cheaply the Xover appeared to be made in my PSB speakers so I contacted the guru for advise and now well, going to upgrade!  PSB is a good brand of speaker however  and like any other major company they have to skip on something in order to save money meanwhile making a hefty profit  :roll:

baldrick

« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2010, 02:45 pm »
How much profit do you think it's possible to earn on a $300 speaker?

Maybe $50 if you are very very savvy with production, shipping and marketing.
You have to think that the retailer would make 30% margin tops on a $300 speaker so $90 goes to the retailer, $210 to the distributor.  If the distributor is PSB themselves (Lenbrook) then they'd make 30% margin on the wholesale price (tops).  So $63 in profit, maximum.  You'd have to sell tens of thousands of units to sustain a business at these margins.  I'm being very generous.  It's probably more likely that the margin to the distributor (manufacturer) is sub 20%.
The crossover in that speaker has to be necessarily cheap - maybe under a dollar including assembly costs.

Granted, the B25 is at the bottom end of their range and they make more expensive products that will generate higher profit margins so it is good business sense to keep the equipment running on lesser models to keep the factory moving.  In this case it's a good idea to make a break-even model knowing that the higher end units will generate the profit.   Car companies have done this for decades.

I once met a retailer that would take PSB speakers apart and install proper crossovers with "audiophile approved" components.  Then he'd jack the price up $250 on a $1000 speaker.  There was a noticeable improvement, and people willingly paid for the sound upgrade.

You'll probably notice the same.

So let's ask Wilson Audio how much they make on their speakers that retail at $60K +??

chgolatin2

« Reply #17 on: 25 Feb 2010, 06:24 am »
Well, actually I paid $299 on b stock items from a local retailer but these speaker retail for almost $500 a pair give or take a few.  Hmmm, yeah lets ask Wilson that a good question to ask Wilson and so many higher end audio manufacturers :scratch: :drool: :wink:

jackfish

« Reply #18 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:25 pm »
Want a killer speaker under $1000?  Sorry, you'll be sending some of that money to China.
You forgot about the Magnepan MMG, made in Minnesota.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #19 on: 6 Apr 2010, 06:06 pm »
These speakers are excellent value for money, and regarding the design i love the new woofer cones who are metalized. I mainly listen to  LP and Acoustic Sounds vinyls and im happy with them.