Tube docking station for ipod???

chgolatin2

Tube docking station for ipod???
« on: 16 Oct 2009, 03:39 pm »
Looking for a good sounding docking station for an ipod, yeah I know that ipod is not the best musical prodcut out there but for on the go type of listening I feel its ok.  Looking for a portable type docking station, since I LOVE tubes I did some research but I would prefer to hear from the tube audio gurus as to my homework.  So far I've looked into the following list, any recommendations or advise would be greatly appreciated, dont know if some of you have had any of the following but I would like to hear some input

Logic3 Valve 80 40watts $399

Dice ITPA-220 20 Watt $168 Ebay

Roth Audio Music Cocoon $499 Amazon

Itube Valve dock, price varies but looks cheaply made.  Highest price $599 for the carbon edition.

srb

Re: Tube docking station for ipod???
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2009, 04:11 pm »
Looking for a portable type docking station....

To me, a "portable" docking station would be an all-in-one unit that has built-in speakers and could be picked up in one hand and moved.

Since all the ones you listed have or use separate speakers (I don't think there's an all-in-one with tubes anyway), we can scratch the word portable?

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2009, 06:25 pm »
I've seen tube idocks at electronic chain stores. If memory serves, it was BestBuy specifically.
That's not a recommendation, just that I've seen them there.

Bob

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2009, 07:13 pm »
If I was spending as much as 4 bills on a high quality dock, the Wadia 170 would be on my list.  No tubes though, and line or S/PDIF output only.  Nice piece.

Sonny

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2009, 08:12 pm »
doesn't Shanling have the MC30?
It has a dock, but via mini-out...is also a tuner, cd player and 3wpc integrated.
T

srb

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2009, 08:36 pm »
If I was spending as much as 4 bills on a high quality dock, the Wadia 170 would be on my list.  No tubes though, and line or S/PDIF output only.  Nice piece.

The Wadia is a nice dock, and definitely the way to go for a system that has an external DAC and amplifier, but all of the "docks" chgolatin2 is talking about all have integrated DACs and amplifiers.  Only need to add speakers.  I think that is what he meant by "portable".

doesn't Shanling have the MC30?
It has a dock, but via mini-out...is also a tuner, cd player and 3wpc integrated.

An interesting all-around unit, but it seems like the iPod dock connector part is an afterthought, as it only charges the iPod.  I wouldn't buy a unit that used the headphone out instead of a true line out through the dock connector.

Everyone, including myself, is throwing their ideas in (which isn't a bad thing), but no one posting yet actually has one of these gizmos.  Maybe someone who has one will check in by the time the OP gets back to the thread.

Good Luck.

Steve

skite30

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2009, 05:36 am »
You might want to check out audioengine speakers. I believe they are powered speakers with a dock on the back for an ipod. I've read good things about them but have not heard them myself.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2009, 06:08 am »
The Audioengine speakers have a USB port for charging an iPod, but you would  still need a separate iPod dock to be able to feed them a line level signal instead of using the iPod's headphone output.

Steve

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2009, 07:13 am »
Itube Valve dock, price varies but looks cheaply made.  Highest price $599 for the carbon edition.

I have the original ("two piece") version, which actually I prefer to the "one piece" because I can use the amp separately as well. I'm not sure why you would think it cheaply made, as to me it seems solid and well made. It is quite shiny, though ;)

chgolatin2

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:52 pm »
Any other advice?  So, far I've also looked into the Wadia 170i and a squeezebox.

thanks!

chgolatin2

« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:54 pm »
MC30 looks good but only has 3wpc :( glow amps looks good as well but its in the upper $700 price range, MC30 is almost a $1000

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2009, 05:07 pm »
From what I've found the Wadia 170i is the only device authorized by Apple to extract the digital signal from most all of the newer iPods.  Of course it lacks a DAC, but that's where the tubes really come in anyway, right?  At $400 and the need to add a DAC the Wadia doesn't really fit into this circle.  And I agree with above posters that using the iPod's DAC isn't high fidelity, so this whole thread is in the wrong circle.  BTW several modders offer upgrades to the Wadia, with the overall cost can exceed $2k.

The MSB iLink reportedly provides even better sound, but cost roughly $2k and requires modification of the 5th generation iPod Classic (and only this model) to extract the digital goodness.

Unless you're really into an iPod it seems limiting/expensive compared to just using a good CD player or just using your PC for audio.  The attraction I see in this route is the possible quality from the solid state drive of an iTouch with battery power and other options coupled with the simplicity of the iPod.  But some day the iPod battery will need to be replaced and it only holds so much (64 GB would hold less than 100 albums in WAV).  And you have to go loseless or again it ain't high fidelity.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 10:46 pm by JLM »

chgolatin2

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2009, 02:17 am »
I much prefer a tube docking station for my ipod listening needs, solid state is a good choice but again I need a good dac and my budget doesnt allow me to shell out 2k for that I just disregard the ipod and get me something much better sounding... :)