HT Bypass option

jobyts

HT Bypass option
« on: 12 Oct 2019, 06:28 am »
Hi,

Does the integrated provide an HT Bypass feature? I would like to use the speakers for both stereo and surround. if not available in any of the current Vinnie Rossi IA products, will it be an option in any of the upcoming IAs?

Thanks,

Vinnie R.

Re: HT Bypass option
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2019, 09:05 pm »
Does the integrated provide an HT Bypass feature? I would like to use the speakers for both stereo and surround. if not available in any of the current Vinnie Rossi IA products, will it be an option in any of the upcoming IAs?

Hi jobyts,

VR products do not feature a Home Theater Bypass switch.  It's not something that I want to add into the circuit path and have no plans to add it to future designs. 

What you could do (although not as convenient) is use one of the analog inputs to feed your HT processor into, and then set the volume on the VR integrated accordingly. 

Otherwise, there should be plenty of other integrated amps available that offer this feature.

Best regards,

Vinnie

jobyts

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2019, 07:38 am »
Thank you so much for your response.

To make my understanding clear, the following is what I could do.

Connect the L and R pre-out of the A/V receiver to one of the RCA inputs of the VR Integrated.
(I need to adjust the volume of the VR Integrated along with the volume  on the receiver, so that the L and R volume is not too off from the center channel or the other surround speakers. To mute the volume completely, I need to mute both the VR IA and the A/V receiver.)

For the stereo, if I'm using an external DAC, the RCA output of the external DAC can be connected to the other remaining RCA input on the VR IA. Or connect the external DAC XLR output to the VR IA XLR input.

Alternatively, for the stereo, use the VR internal DAC.

Please confirm if the volume management is the only inconvenience I have to deal with.

After reading all the reviews of the spatial audio with VR electronics, another amp/speaker choice is ruled out.

Also I'm curious why an HT bypass feature is opted out. Does it unnecessarily add circuits in the signal path, and degrade the quality of the stereo sound? Or it is just a marketing decision as not many customers asking for that option.

To me, the HT Bypass feature helps for a better WAF. Nowadays most of the large screen thin TVs come without built-in speakers.

"So anyway we need to buy external speakers for the TV. So why not do a parallel audio system as well with just a couple of extra electronics?"

Women are easier to get convinced when it comes to the purchase of TV and related accessories than the stereo. :(

Vinnie R.

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2019, 11:40 pm »

Hi jobyts,

Connect the L and R pre-out of the A/V receiver to one of the RCA inputs of the VR Integrated.
(I need to adjust the volume of the VR Integrated along with the volume  on the receiver, so that the L and R volume is not too off from the center channel or the other surround speakers. To mute the volume completely, I need to mute both the VR IA and the A/V receiver.)

I believe you will control the volume via your AV receiver (as it is the "master" volume for all channels).  You just need to set (and remember) the volume setting used on the L2i so the front L and R speakers are at the correct volume with relation to the others.

For the stereo, if I'm using an external DAC, the RCA output of the external DAC can be connected to the other remaining RCA input on the VR IA. Or connect the external DAC XLR output to the VR IA XLR input.

Alternatively, for the stereo, use the VR internal DAC.

Correct!

Please confirm if the volume management is the only inconvenience I have to deal with.

I want to believe so, but when you mix 2-channel and home theater systems, sometimes there could be hidden problems.

Also I'm curious why an HT bypass feature is opted out. Does it unnecessarily add circuits in the signal path, and degrade the quality of the stereo sound? Or it is just a marketing decision as not many customers asking for that option.

Yes, it adds another switch (or relay) in the signal path.  If it is not used correctly, one can send full volume to their speakers by mistake and blow them.  But I also just don't like the mixing of home theater and 2 channel music systems.  And very few people ask me about it.

To me, the HT Bypass feature helps for a better WAF. Nowadays most of the large screen thin TVs come without built-in speakers.

I would put all of your budget on a pair of stereo speakers (and the electronics), and watch TV and movies in 2-channel stereo.  When set up correctly, you get an awesome center image (without needing a center channel), and a much cleaner system.  And with very good stereo speakers, TV/Movies sound great in 2-channel!

Best regards,

Vinnie