An iTunes Back-up?

srb

Re: An iTunes Back-up?
« Reply #40 on: 26 Sep 2015, 05:20 pm »
If you have "Keep iTunes folder organised" and "Copy file to iTunes Media Library" checked, then if you move the (whole) library and open iTunes with Option key, and select the new library location, iTunes updates the paths.

You're correct and when I tried that previously without success, I had neglected to check those two checkboxes.

Did you move the media to a new location, or just the library file.  Did that path become rewritten under the Info tab for the songs?

The filepaths will be rewritten to the current library file location, so it makes sense for the library files to also be stored in the media folder location rather than on the main drive.  As previously mentioned, this will also prevent iTunes from automatically changing the media folder location (for newly added files) if the external drive is unavailable for any reason (powered down, accidentally disconnected, etc.) when iTunes is started.

Steve

srb

« Reply #41 on: 26 Sep 2015, 05:45 pm »
I have also found on my system when switching between different libraries (holding down Option key on Mac or Shift key on Windows when starting iTunes) that some of the iTunes preferences are reset to default.

In particular (among some other less important ones) I found that Import Settings were defaulted back to AAC and all paired Remotes were forgotten and had to be re-paired.

I'm on a Windows system, so if anyone is playing around with libraries on the Mac I'd be interested to know if the same reverting to defaults is experienced.

Steve

Housteau

« Reply #42 on: 26 Sep 2015, 06:23 pm »
So, this is the way it will work?
1.  Have my iTunes media and all other iTunes  folders running off of my external HD.
2.  Keep a current copy of that external HD on to another HD.
3.  In the event the primary HD fails, restart iTunes holding down the Option key and point to the back-up HD library file and iTunes will start as normal.

JohnR

« Reply #43 on: 4 Oct 2015, 11:33 am »
So, this is the way it will work?
1.  Have my iTunes media and all other iTunes  folders running off of my external HD.
2.  Keep a current copy of that external HD on to another HD.
3.  In the event the primary HD fails, restart iTunes holding down the Option key and point to the back-up HD library file and iTunes will start as normal.

My preference and practice was (* see note below) always to use the "keep organized" options as mentioned above. That way your music library is always "whole" and you can move it around and/or make backups at will. If you have those options selected, your items 2 and 3 should work, as far as I'm aware.

(*) Caveat: I converted to FLAC a while ago and maintain a copy of my itunes library for reference now. I don't use it on a daily basis.

Housteau

« Reply #44 on: 7 Oct 2015, 05:19 pm »
Thank you for also affirming this plan.  Besides an iTunes HD back-up on another HD, I also do a back-up to another HD set for FAT 32 so my Bryson file player can have access to the same music.

Housteau

« Reply #45 on: 14 Nov 2015, 02:51 pm »
I wanted to give an update to this thread since I was able to give all of this a try.  The steps I followed was:

1)  I had all of  iTunes running off of an external HD, the library and everything.
2)  I made a copy of that HD to another external HD using Synkron, so I could do incremental back-ups
3)  I changed where my newly ripped music would be stored at under iTunes Preference, pointing to the appropriate folder on that new HD
4)  I dismounted the original HD, brought up iTunes while holding down the Options key and chose the library on the HD with the iTunes copy.

Before iTunes came up it showed that new library paths were being rewritten.  This took a very short period of time, then iTunes came up just fine on my other HD holding the iTunes copy.  So it looks like I am good to go and now I have a better understanding of how all of this works.  I am not sure if step #3 is necessary and I may give it a try skipping that step to see what happens.

Housteau

« Reply #46 on: 15 Nov 2015, 03:53 pm »
Step #3 is not necessary to bring up and use the backup library, but needs to be done when that back-up becomes primary.