Macbook Pro Repair

ebag4

Macbook Pro Repair
« on: 22 Aug 2015, 12:39 am »
I am hoping someone has an idea what might be going on with my sons MacBook Pro, I have searched the internet but have not been able to get it to work.

The laptop in question is a mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro.  The problem started with the dreaded question mark folder.  Assuming the issue was the hard drive I replaced it with a SSD.  Powered up the unit and hit command r  to initiate a web restoral of the OS.  When it came up I formatted the SSD to MacOS Extended (Journaled).  I then told it to load the OS, Lion in this case.  All appeared to be going well however the installation hangs at 50% complete.  I have tried this a few times including reformatting the drive always with the same result.  I have considered that the HDD cable might be bad, I have read that it is not unusual for that cable to be problematic with the MacBook Pro, but the hard drive is being seen and formatted so I don't think that is the problem.

Has anyone else run into this issue?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Ed

GentleBender

Re: Macbook Pro Repair
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2015, 11:57 am »
Have you tried creating a recovery drive on a USB drive? That is what I always use.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2015, 02:28 pm »
Okay.  Although I can't be 100% sure from my keyboard across the Internet, I'm going to assume everything is assembled as it should be without physical damage (visible or otherwise) inside the case. 

[begin officially published by Apple - and recommended - hardware troubleshooting answer]

If you think you may have a hardware issue, you can check it out first with the built in utility on your mac:

Using Apple Hardware Test (instructions copied direct from Apple):

1) Disconnect all external devices except the keyboard, mouse, display, and speakers. If you have an Ethernet cable or external DVD drive, disconnect it.

2) Restart the Mac, hold down D while the Mac restarts.

3) After the Mac restarts, you should see the Apple Hardware Test chooser screen.  If you do not, Apple Hardware Test may not be available on your Mac. You may be able to start Apple Hardware Test from the Internet.
Reconnect your Mac to the Ethernet network, then restart your Mac and hold down Option-D.

4) When the Apple Hardware Test chooser screen appears, select the language you want to use, then press the Return key or click the right arrow button.

5) After approximately 45 seconds, the Apple Hardware Test main screen will appear. Follow the onscreen instructions.

If Apple Hardware Test detects a problem, it displays an error. Make a note of the error.  Then check here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203747 to look up the error code to point you in a direction of what may be wrong, and a possible solution.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, taking the machine to an Apple store (or authorized service center) would allow the techs to use additional diagnostic tools to look deeper than the AHT can go to get to the issue.

[end official answer]

Without being able to actually look at it and see what is going on, that question mark generally means for whatever reason, the machine can't find an OS to boot from. 

Considering the mac can boot into recovery mode suggests at least that likely the internals are working.  Seeing that the new SSD (known good drive) crashes during OS install suggests that you might be on the right path, assuming nothing else has changed and the problem isn't further upstream.  A simple way to troubleshoot that cable is to put the SSD into an external drive enclosure (or use an adapter cable made for just this purpose - best $30 I've spent on computer tools in a long time) and then try your OS install to the new "external" drive.  If that works, then you know you've got something going on either with the cable or the port on the board the cable is connected to.  If you can do a web restore, you can do that to a big enough USB drive, if you have one handy instead of your SSD if you don't have an enclosure or adapters to get that going.

There are a few more long shot possibilities, but I wouldn't want to get you into more trouble throwing out little more than guesses from across my keyboard that could do more harm than good without being able to own the repair from end to end.

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2015, 02:40 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Jonathon, thanks for the excellent tips and thoughts.  I put the old drive in a USB case and VIOLA, the laptop boots.  That appears to be pointing to the hardrive cable.  I suppose it could be something else and I am open to suggestions.  Very odd to me that it is the cable, as I mentioned it sees the new drive and was able to format it.

I will do a bit more searching based on this new information.

Thanks again, you guys rock.

Best,
Ed

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2015, 02:50 am »
Here are a couple of sources for the cable:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2012-Hard-Drive-Cable/IF163-041-1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HDD-Hard-Drive-Cable-821-1480-A-for-Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-A1278-2012-/221775523957?hash=item33a2d9f075

This is an interesting option...:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/

Since you have the SSD my inclination would be to put a more recent version of the OS on it. Clone (Carbon Copy Cloner) the hard drive onto the SSD, boot from the SSD, and then upgrade the SSD to Yosemite. (While you are at it, make a copy of the installer for later use.) Put the SSD into the machine and see if that boots.

With USB 3 and an SSD, an external boot drive is quite usable, if it came to that. (Not so easily portable tho...)

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2015, 09:31 pm »
To put a cap on this topic, the hard drive cable turned out to be the culprit.

Thanks again guys for playing along, I seem to always get good advice here.

Best,
Ed