question about positioning rear surrounds

Freeflyer

« on: 25 Apr 2004, 01:27 pm »
Another question on rigging up my new living room.

In my previous house I was able to have the rear surround speakers 6 feet up, level (front to back) with the listening position and firing across over my head, towards each other (which I understood to be the optimal postion for DD, as recommended by Dolby). In the new house they'll be 8 feet up and about 3-4 feet behind the listening position.

Would I be better having them firing across at each other as before, or should I point them towards the listening position and aim down towards where we sit.

They'll be on movable brackets so I can experiment, I just wondered if there was some sort of recommendation for this configuration.

Cheers,

J.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2004, 05:22 pm »
J .

experiment and see what works for you.  For mutlichannel music you might want to fire down but for HT firing across might be just fine for you. All  speakers in the room at the same height would be great but not ideal for all people.

Report back with your findings.

Larry

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2004, 06:30 pm »
You set up seems sound, but for MC music I second the recommendation of setting them lower & aiming them directly at the listening position.  That's better for music and actually will work pretty well for HT, too.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2004, 06:52 pm »
I'd go for the aimed at listening position tilted down. Try to get the tweeter aimed at, or very slightly above ear level.

The corssfiring setup is what was used for DPL setups. Every diagram I've seen (at least as far as I can recall) for DD setup shows the speaks slightly behind the viewer with the speaks aimed at the viewer. I can scan one if it's of any help. Even have one of a DD EX setup...

Freeflyer

Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2004, 11:33 pm »
Thanks for the help, I'll aim at the listening position and then experiment from there.

Cheers,

J.[/i]

jethro

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2004, 12:55 am »
My rear speakers are setup like Freeflyer's old setup : directly facing each other and firing across the listeners' heads. My right rear is located further away than my left rear. I have noticed that I get an echo from my right rear off the wall where my left rear is mounted. It is loud enough, that at one time I incorrectly believed that my amp for my rear's was bleeding the signal from the right to the left channel. This has made calibration pretty much impossible. In the future I hope to make a diffuser for my left rear's wall. I don't have the option to mount my speaker's slightly to the rear, or I would.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2004, 01:20 am »
Can you set the delays on your pre/pro??? You might have to play with this to get it correct.

Larry

jethro

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2004, 01:52 am »
Quote from: lkosova
Can you set the delays on your pre/pro??? You might have to play with this to get it correct.

Larry

I have set the delays, but it's a reflection problem. My walls are hard plaster so they reflect most of the sound from the rears. I don't have a problem with the left rear because the right wall is far enough away that the relection decreases in level before it reaches the listening position.