Finally got the OK for the PJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

klh

« on: 3 Apr 2006, 02:17 am »
I finally got the go ahead from the misses for getting a front Projector. I'm down to three... the Panasonic AE900U, the Hitachi HDP-J52 and the Sanyo Z4. There are others that I would like, but these are in my price range. My wife put a limit of $2k. I need to paint and install blackout curtains, and also put fabric on my room treatments. That should run about $400, so that means about $1,600 remains. I could probably extend the budget to $1,800 for the PJ, but the walls must be painted and fabric must be purchased (for health purposes) or my system will neither sound nor appear anywhere near its potential (nor would I live to my potential!).

Recommendations and justifications, please.

jonwb

« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2006, 02:22 am »
Wow!  Congratulations!  I'm looking forward to the day when we're ready to start dropping some money to do a home theater.  Many things in line in front of the theater.   :(

Anywho... if I were going to buy a projector today, I think the Panny is the best deal going IF they still have that $400 rebate.  Regardless, I think your list or prospects is right on track.  You can't go wrong w/ any of them.

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2006, 03:05 am »
Congrats.  You will love it.  My Panasonic ae700 is great, nice and quiet with a damn good picture.  It will be able to do HD, which is right around the corner.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Finally got the OK for the PJ!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2006, 03:23 am »
Quote from: klh
I finally got the go ahead from the misses for getting a front Projector. I'm down to three... the Panasonic AE900U, the Hitachi HDP-J52 and the Sanyo Z4. There are others that I would like, but these are in my price range. My wife put a limit of $2k. I need to paint and install blackout curtains, and also put fabric on my room treatments. That should run about $400, so that means about $1,600 remains. I could probably extend the budget to $1,800 for the PJ, but the walls must be painted and fabric must be  ...

Panny AE900.  Unfortunately, unless they extended the rebate period, it just ended on 3/31/06.

Even without that, it is a great value at its current street price of $1900 or so.

George

klh

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2006, 05:46 am »
With the $400 rebate, the Panny is tough to beat. I've read a number of places that it has a "soft" picture d/t the smooth screen technology. I've read the Z4 is much sharper and is just as easy to install. I've read even better things about the Hitachi. However, I want to wall mount the PJ and as such the lens will be about 15' from the front wall. The Hitachi has a 1.6 zoom, so I've calcuated the smallest screen I could get is 100" (16:9 diagonal). That would put me at the limit of what the Hitachi could do at 15'. If I go to a 106" screen, the limit would be at 16'. I've read over and over it is best to not have your throw at the limit of a PJ, which effectively means if I get the Hitachi I wouldn't want to go any smaller than 106". Here's the dilema... the seated distance is about 12-12.5' from the screen. For a 106" screen, that would put me at a distance of 1.56-1.63 times the screen width. A 92" screen would put me at a distance of 1.80-1.88 times the screen witdth. Which do you think is better? I've read you want to be at least 1.5 x screen so both technically meet the criterion. As for cost, the Sanyo is just shy of $1,700 and comes with an extra bulb (through the end of April). From what I've heard, the Hitachi is somewhere in the ballpark of $2k. If the rebate on the Panny isn't extended, I think I'll probably end up with the Sanyo Z4. I'm going to hold out for a little while, though. Please keep your comments coming.

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2006, 08:33 am »
krister: I don't know if this helps, but I actually bought a Sanyo Z2 last fall. I only had about 1k to drop on it at the time, and the Z4 coming out had knocked the price of the Z2 down to that range. I absolutely LOVE the thing.....movies are amazing but HD is truly glorious. Assuming the Z4 is a nice step up from the Z2, I don't think you can go wrong at all.

Also, if money is a concern, consider Screen Goo in lieu of a standard projector screen. It's a highly reflective acrylic paint that has received a LOT of high praise. I went that route and I could not be happier. My screen is 120" diagonal and everyone who has seen it has been blown away. Just food for thought :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2006, 01:44 pm »
If funds are really tight, you can go to Home Depot and get the following to paint yourself a pretty good screen:

one quart of Ultra Pure White (flat)
one quart of Silver Screen (flat)

Sand the area down real nice so there aren't any imperfections (or at least minimize them).  Apply the Ultra Pure White as a base and let it dry.  Next add the Silver screen paint.  If you are really into it, you can do a wet sanding between coats.

This can produce a very good image and you are only out about $25.

George

BobC

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2006, 04:50 pm »
I did a lot of research over at avsforum.com / Display Devices / Under $3500 when I bought my Z2....which I love (for the money).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Check it out.

klh

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2006, 05:27 pm »
Thanks guys, I've been following the forums at AVS (manufatured screens, DIY screens and PJs above and below $2,500) and Projector Central (screens and PJS. I just wanted to get peoples advice here. It looks like I'll go with the Z4. The flexibility of instillation is key. I think I'll get the PJ, project it on the wall, figure out what screen size we like, pick a DIY method and go with it.

klh

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2006, 08:58 pm »
Well, the Panny rebate has been extended until the end of April. Now I'm down to the Sanyo and the Panny. The Z4 is just shy of $1700 and sharper, but you can see SDE if seated close enough and requires an upconverting DVD or one that at least gives a progressive signal (mine is 480i). The 900U is slightly fuzzier, but only $1500 online or $1750 at Costco (including the $400 rebate) + 40 free rentals at Blockbuster. What to do? What to do?

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2006, 03:20 am »
Flip a coin, bro....you can't go wrong with either :)

The13thGryphon

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2006, 03:25 am »
If the rebate has been extended, then I think the choice is obvious. Of course, you might also take into consideration that my opinion would be slightly biased.

(A VERY happy Panisonic AE-700U owner.)

cytocycle

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2006, 03:36 pm »
Get the Panasonic if you don't plan on buying a scaler, otherwise the Z4 needs a scaler with regular content (not HD), but has the cool dust clearing holes and the 3 year warranty.