Best Direct-View TV for under $600

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« on: 17 Jun 2004, 11:12 pm »
My friends Sony 27" is dying. She wants a 32-36" TV to replace it. I have looked at Best Buy and Circuit City from time to time, and rarely do I see a large direct view TV at this price point.

It does not have to necessarily be a flat-screen tube, although I feel that there should be one available in this price range by now...can anyone point me in the right direction?

vpolineni

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2004, 11:18 pm »
if she can slightly increase her budget, walmart sells a killer 32" hdtv with a built in tuner made by sanyo... there's a very long thread about it at avsforum.  it costs 747 dollars.

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2004, 02:14 am »
Look at Toshiba sets. Costco & Sam's Club usually carry Toshiba's of the better quality for less $ than the lower quality line Toshiba's at regular stores.

Look around and you might be able to find a 32" Cinema Series Toshiba for that price (Cinema Series sets are their top line models).

The Sony's are very good as well for direct view sets. But you're not going to get a decent quality Sony of that size for under $600 (their 24" is $450! :o ).

And the Toshiba's should still be made in the US (at least the mid line models that Costco & Sam's carry). Whish is much better than the made in Mexico sets that populate the majority of the direct view market nowadays...

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2004, 06:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

Found a Toshiba 36" round tube with component video in for $499 at Best Buy, and that is perfect for her wants.

I will refer another friend to the Sanyo...

jqp

• Volunteer

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2004, 10:56 pm »
UPDATE - my friend has been trying to get the TV delivered. They missed the first date, missed a second date( gave her a $100 discount) , then finally delivered a TV 3 days late, that must have been a demo model.  It had tape on the side and a component video rca jack was ripped off, and it looked a little dusty too. We went to the BB last night - I wanted to see if they delivered that store's demo model (they hadn't) - she talked to customer service. They actually paid her 200 cash last night at the store - 100 for the first discount, and another 100. SO assuming she really gets the new TV tomorrow, she will have paid $299 for a 36" Toshiba!