Tubes in HT?

Artcurus

Tubes in HT?
« on: 15 May 2004, 04:05 am »
Have any of you  guys tried tubes in HT?

If you have, likes? Dislikes?

vrs

• http://mikrotec.com
Tubes in HT?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2004, 04:35 am »
I only have a tube pre amp in my home Theater system ( Audcom120 pre amp modified by Boulder) connected to a EFE 5 channel passive decoder and 3 and 2 channel amplifiers.

This is also a music and HT system . I like itthis way.Audcom pre amp got more than enough gain to drive the the 2 amplifiers and a subwoofer.
The amplifiers are solid state by AVA- Omega Star.
I do not like dolby and other signal processing as this set up my prefered way.

I prefered solid state amps ,as this system is turned on and off several times in a day as TV is connected. Usually it is used for 7-8 hours average in a day.
I thought replacing tubes frequently for the power amp may be expesive., and hence  I preferred solid state amplifier.
Pre amp tubes last longer and the prefered tone can be dialed in by tube rolling.Tube rolling may be cheaper than cable changes.
regards

wshuff

Tubes in HT?
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2004, 06:16 am »
Are you talking amps or pre-amps too?  Because I know that Jim Fosgate offers an all analog, tube version of his DP2 decoder.  I think it is pretty expensive though.

Alright, I'll admit I only replied because I saw that vrs is from Paintsville and I just wanted to say hello to somebody else from the mountains.  Hey vrs, if you're ever over in Harlan, send me a PM and we'll get together.

Artcurus

Tubes in HT?
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2004, 07:43 am »
^^Power amps. current sys uses two RCA full range movie theater 100 watt tube  amps as the main amps, a Sherwood S1000II as the center channel amp.

This is also a music/HT system.

RussKon

Tubes in HT?
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2004, 02:37 pm »
i haven't tried this amplifier but i hear it is really very good if you want tube amplification for your home theater.....

http://butleraudio.com/main.html

5 channels of tube amplification - 150 watts per channel - all in one box!!!

:)