BDA-3 Review - Outstanding Worklife Rewards!!!

DarqueKnight

Re: BDA-3 Review - Outstanding Worklife Rewards!!!
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2016, 11:34 pm »
Nice photos!  :thumb:

Thanks.

1. For me, I prefere to tweak externally, and spend my valuable time enjoying music. Not obsessing about internals that contribute very little audible "noise" in my system.

I recognize and appreciate the fact that everyone is free to pursue this hobby as casually or as obsessively as they wish. While I might appear "obsessive" to some, my tweaking activities actually take of very little of my time. Most of my audio time is spent in listening enjoyment.

2. At the going price that dCS charges for their gear, I too would expect their transforners to be well designed for zero vibration! Bryston's DACs are still the best esoteric values for performance in the market.

I agree wholeheartedly about Bryston's value and high performance/price ratio. That is why I am the proud owner of five pieces of Bryston gear over three audio systems (two channel, office, home theater). I am leaning toward acquiring a sixth and seventh piece, a BP-26/MPS-2 preamplifier/power supply for my office system.

How about organizing an audio transformer meet?

I'm not sure such an event would be beneficial. I say this because the audible effect(s) of a particular performance enhancement is highly system (and listener) dependent. The benefit(s) achieved by one person, with their system, in their listening room, may not perceived in another system and room. The kind of music you listen to and how well that music is recorded plays a big role also. I don't doubt that werd improved the performance of his BDP and BDA by loosening the PCB screws. However, I didn't perceive a difference or improvement when I tried this in two of my stereo systems. Some years ago, I did hear an improvement by removing the screws from the top cover of my Cary Audio CD 306 Pro Version SACD player. I also heard (and measured at the SACD player's output) an improvement after extensively treating the SACD player's transport and chassis with Dynamat.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/153600/further-vibration-abatement-for-the-cary-audio-cd-306-pro-version-sacd-player
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2016, 01:02 am by DarqueKnight »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2016, 12:02 am »
You should listen to a BP17 and compare to the 26. It is a vastly under rated preamp, with some updated circuitry on par with SP3. A really fine linestage paired with a Bryston power amp and sources. If you already have a decent power distributor, the external PS on the 26 may be moot, imho.

Cheers

Mag

« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2016, 01:05 am »
I recognize and appreciate the fact that everyone is free to pursue this hobby as casually or as obsessively as they wish. While I might appear "obsessive" to some, my tweaking activities actually take of very little of my time. Most of my audio time is spent in listening enjoyment.

My tweak is a Yamaha mixer which has low enough distortion that it doesn't mask Bryston gear. Having used an equalizer in the past I knew that that was masking the sound and I was better off without it.

Anyway I was looking for some kind of interface switching not really knowing what I needed. The music salesman when he understood what the heck I was talking about recommended the mixer.

After two weeks of listening I had my adjusted settings. I discovered there's a fine line in tweaking the treble, mids and bass frequencies in achieving musicality to my ears. Different adjustments can sound nice but they can slightly miss musicality that makes listening enjoyable.

So I went back to thank the salesman for the best investment in my stereo that I didn't know I needed.  :smoke:

DarqueKnight

« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:38 pm »
You should listen to a BP17 and compare to the 26. It is a vastly under rated preamp, with some updated circuitry on par with SP3. A really fine linestage paired with a Bryston power amp and sources. If you already have a decent power distributor, the external PS on the 26 may be moot, imho.

Cheers

The BP17 would not work because I need a pre with at least one set of balanced inputs.

DarqueKnight

« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2016, 04:04 am »
While I had my Dynamat and tools out, I decided to treat the transformer of the BDP-1 in my home theater system. The components in this system are of moderate resolution, but the improvements in holography, image weight, clarity, detail, tactile sensation, and bass impact and detail were immediately evident.

This will have to hold me until Bryston makes a potted transformer upgrade kit available for the BDP-2 and BDP-1. 8)

Figure 20. BDP-1 Dynamat transformer pad.

Figure 21. BDP-1 Dynamat treated transformer re-installed.

Figure 22. Center bolt turned down until it is just barely touching the top plate.

Home theater system. The big, red SVS PB12 Ultra/2 subwoofer to the right was switched off during listening trials. :wink:

Associated Equipment Used For BDP-1 Transformer Modification Evaluation

Sony TA-E9000ES digital 5.1 preamp/processor
Adcom GFA-5500 power amplifier
PS Audio P10 AC regenerator
Dedicated 20 amp AC circuit
Signal Cable MagicPower cord for BDP-1
PS Audio Statement SC power cords for preamp and power amp
PS Audio AC 5 power cord for P10 AC regenerator
Monster Cable Z100i RCA interconnects for preamp and power amp
Monster Cable Z2 Reference speaker cable
Hosa BNR-106 BNC-RCA digital coaxial cable
Polk Audio SDA-SRS loudspeakers (heavily modified)

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2016, 11:37 am »
Just want to give DK a personal thanks for his generosity in improving my already sublime digital system. His input here, and photos,  caused me do some simpler tweaking on the externals of my player, and there were some improvements that I wasn't expecting.

It's a learning curve, folks. Ride it and enjoy it.

werd

« Reply #26 on: 5 May 2016, 03:31 am »
I am glad you are having success with the transformer. The PCB boards would have showed up if you had not applied the Dynamat. The chassis is the biggest obstacle in audio IMO. Taking the transformer nut addresses that. You can release everything too including the XLR or RCA screws to the chassis. Also try letting the outlet hang out to hear  then put it back in and screw it down but only lightly. Unless you do not mind the outlet hanging but that may not be advisable if you have kids. Electricity is vibration

I notice you are using granite. I did the granite thing and I can assure you Bryston loves Sitting on aluminum. I have been saying that for awhile,  now I notice Bryston is using aluminum as the chassis on their new cube amps.   :thumb: