S P A T I A L unveils new open-baffle Trilogy T1 speaker

Spatial Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • Spatial Audio Lab
Press Release - February 23 2013

SPATIAL announces the release of the Trilogy T1 open-baffle loudspeaker. This is Clayton Shaw's first all-new design since 2009.

The T1 is an ultra-dynamic, 3-way design with outstanding sonics and rich tone color. Non-parallel walled, inert triangular cabinet design.

• True 3-way design
• 12 inch open-baffle midrange driver
• coaxial compression driver
• 10 inch high-output woofer
• Plug and play - no DSP required
• 47 x 16 x 16 inches, 67 pounds

Hear the new Trilogy T1 at the 2013 Newport Audio Show in May.

Order factory direct for only $1495 /pr. in Black, Charcoal, Brown or Wheat grille color and natural Baltic Birch cabinet.

www.spatialcomputer.com
      1+435.640.1294

roscoeiii

Re: S P A T I A L unveils new open-baffle Trilogy T1 speaker
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:39 pm »
Great looking speaker.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:58 pm »
Great looking speaker.

+1 and reasonably priced and efficient

Afterimage

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2013, 07:21 pm »
Indeed it is a great looking speaker.  Affordable too.  I wonder if that low price is going to scare anyone off?  I mean, can it really sound fantastic for that price?

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2013, 07:27 pm »
Indeed it is a great looking speaker.  Affordable too.  I wonder if that low price is going to scare anyone off?  I mean, can it really sound fantastic for that price?

I have a pair of $1,300 speakers that would be happy to answer that question in the affirmative.

Looking forward to learning more and hearing these. Check the right boxes - OB, coaxial drivers, good bass extension, look nice. Wonder when we'll see measurements and/or get reviews? Might have to make a trip in May in the word is positive. 

neekomax

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:19 pm »

• 12 inch open-baffle midrange driver
• coaxial compression driver
• 10 inch high-output woofer
• Plug and play - no DSP required

A little confused by these specs... 10" woofer and 12" midrange? I imagine the 12" driver is the coaxial one? And what does "Plug and play - no DSP required" mean, are these partially active?

totoro

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2013, 10:30 pm »
It would be interesting to know if DSP is available for this, as with the Emerald Physics speakers. Are the drivers all Eminence?

Spatial Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • Spatial Audio Lab
« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:23 am »
A little confused by these specs... 10" woofer and 12" midrange? I imagine the 12" driver is the coaxial one? And what does "Plug and play - no DSP required" mean, are these partially active?

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments about the Trilogy.

Neekomax - The 10" woofer is ideal for this enclosure and has very high efficiency. A 12 inch diameter woofer with the same characteristics would make the overall speaker's size much larger.

The reason the midrange unit has a 12 inch diameter is for 2 reasons:
1) It serves as the waveguide for the compression tweeter, the diameter corresponding the wavelength at the crossover point.
2) The size and parameters of the midrange unit are useful in a open-baffle format.

Clayton Shaw
Spatial Computer

Spatial Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • Spatial Audio Lab
« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:30 am »
neekomax

Plug and Play and no DSP refers to the fact that all Emerald Physics designs required an external DSP unit to provide active crossover and equalization functions. The Trilogy does not require any external help, so as to hook up and use like a normal speaker.

Here is the Trilogy shown in Wheat fabric:

Clayton

AKLegal

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2013, 02:05 am »
How far must this speaker be placed from walls?

Spatial Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • Spatial Audio Lab
« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2013, 03:03 am »
How far must this speaker be placed from walls?

Distance from the wall should be around 1ft or greater from the rear point of the triangle.

Clayton

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2013, 04:01 am »
that is one beautiful speakers, not to mention affordable.

now, we need to see more on the inside  :green:

cheers
henry

doctorcilantro

« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2013, 08:56 pm »
I agree, very interesting.

Can we get some more pics of driver placement and crossover specs?

thanks!

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2013, 09:37 pm »

What amps are in the picture?

Rocket_Ronny

Spatial Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • Spatial Audio Lab
« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2013, 01:07 am »
It would be interesting to know if DSP is available for this, as with the Emerald Physics speakers. Are the drivers all Eminence?

Totoro,

You can upgrade to the Spatial software-based equalization package at any time to do room correction, assuming you are running Mac computer as your front end.

You can also order the Trilogy T1 in bi-amp format (no internal crossover) and use Spatial for both room correction and active crossover functions. The Spatial Dimension package runs $995. Review in December issue of the Absolute Sound magazine. Also see our website for details: www.spatialcomputer.com

We don't offer a hardware DSP product, but you could certainly use DEQX, Trinnov etc.

Clayton Shaw
Spatial Computer

harley52

« Reply #15 on: 5 Mar 2013, 12:58 am »
I should know the answer to this question but I have frgotten. Do they have a radiation pattern something like an omni or partial omni speaker. AKA, large sweetspot or head-in-a-vice spot. Thank you.

Spatial Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • Spatial Audio Lab
« Reply #16 on: 5 Mar 2013, 02:08 am »
I should know the answer to this question but I have frgotten. Do they have a radiation pattern something like an omni or partial omni speaker. AKA, large sweetspot or head-in-a-vice spot. Thank you.

Harley52

The Trilogy is not omni in any sense, except in the Bass region where wavelengths are longer. It has a narrower and more consistent pattern than typical audiophile speakers. It is important to maintain the same dispersion angle across the spectrum from the midrange and up in order to create a situation where the frequency response shape reflecting off the room boundaries is similar to the response coming directly from the speaker. Meaning, that your brain does not want to sum different responses between the direct field and reflected field. Narrower dispersion reduces room interaction and allows more nearly a "near-field" listening experience. Fortunately, Duke has been promoting the importance of this for many years.

Most home audiophile speakers have a dispersion pattern that is too wide and not at all consistent with frequency. A good example of a correctly designed speaker from this viewpoint would be the TAD Reference 1. The Trilogy meets this criteria as well. Exposed dome and ribbon speakers are usually very room dependent for this reason. Andrew Jones and I both come from the pro industry, where controlled directivity as a technical feature is valued at near the top of the list when developing the design platform. A major reason why an omni speaker, like the MBL can sound so good, is while the room is excited (bad), the consistency of radiated energy per cubic centimeter is very high (good). But then they are highly dependent on good room acoustics.

Therefore, a coaxial design such as we are using is a very good design solution, allowing a point source from 100Hz up along with good pattern control. Obviously, the driver design and system execution will ultimately determine the success of the design, but this is the best known platform, in my view. In the Trilogy, the coaxial unit is also open baffle, affording a very natural reproduction that breathes and has very low coloration.

Regarding the sweet-spot question. The short answer is that a small but optimum point for stereo imaging is just the nature of stereo. The best image focus will usually have the smallest listening spot. Very similar to a photo lens, where a cheap, auto-focus camera is more forgiving than a precision manual adjust lens, but delivers a lower quality result.

Clayton Shaw
Spatial
www.spatialcomputer.com

Spatial Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • Spatial Audio Lab
« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2013, 11:40 pm »
I agree, very interesting.

Can we get some more pics of driver placement and crossover specs?

thanks!

Here is another pic of the Trilogy T1 along with driver layout. I don't plan to release information about the crossover network.

Clayton Shaw | President
Spatial Computer LLC
www.spatialcomputer.com

TomS

« Reply #18 on: 8 Mar 2013, 12:30 am »
Clayton,

Will these be at Axpona Chicago?

Tom

Spatial Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • Spatial Audio Lab
« Reply #19 on: 8 Mar 2013, 12:36 am »
Clayton,

Will these be at Axpona Chicago?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, we don't have enough time to make the Chicago show. Debut will be Newport at the end of May.

Clayton Shaw | President
Spatial Computer LLC
www.spatialcomputer.com