S P A T I A L unveils new open-baffle Trilogy T1 speaker

neekomax

Re: S P A T I A L unveils new open-baffle Trilogy T1 speaker
« Reply #40 on: 11 Apr 2013, 11:40 pm »
The T2's are supposed to start shipping sometime later this month.

They're shipping before the T1s? Weren't they just fairly recently announced?

TomS

« Reply #41 on: 11 Apr 2013, 11:49 pm »
Same cabinet, just different coax and xo's, so it shouldn't matter.

Sense63

« Reply #42 on: 17 Apr 2013, 09:11 pm »
My T2's should be shipping either by the end of this week or early next week.....can't wait!   :D

TomS

« Reply #43 on: 17 Apr 2013, 10:53 pm »
My T2's should be shipping either by the end of this week or early next week.....can't wait!   :D
What preamp/amp do you plan to use?

Rclark

« Reply #44 on: 17 Apr 2013, 11:49 pm »

If I were a customer, I'd rather have this, painted. Maybe a removable grill on the front.

AKLegal

« Reply #45 on: 18 Apr 2013, 12:27 am »
If I were a customer, I'd rather have this, painted. Maybe a removable grill on the front.

+1

medium jim

« Reply #46 on: 18 Apr 2013, 03:59 am »
Clayton:

Sweet and rather tempting.  I might be seeing you at Newport...what amp(s) do you plan to mate with them?  I would imagine a nice SET set-up.  It is so refreshing to have what appears to be a great speaker at a modest price.  I love the concept of no fuss plug and play. 

Great success to you!

Jim

Sense63

« Reply #47 on: 18 Apr 2013, 05:42 pm »
What preamp/amp do you plan to use?

I currently have an AMR AM-777 hybrid integrated I'll be using.

Afterimage

« Reply #48 on: 30 May 2013, 09:02 am »
Any user/owner feedback yet on these speakers?

neekomax

« Reply #49 on: 30 May 2013, 12:36 pm »
+1

I, too, prefer seeing the drivers. I have a speaker fetish, I guess :). Although this isn't a deal breaker for me.

thundercow

« Reply #50 on: 5 Jun 2013, 04:53 am »
I have had my Trilogy T2s for about 2 or 3 weeks now, and I wanted to share my experience with them.

I got interested in these through an ad on Audiogon, and I have originally ordered the T1s and then upgraded before delivery time to T2s. Clayton Shaw is great to deal with, as everyone knows. I had originally been looking at entry-level electrostatics or Tiels or B&Ws, but these really appealed to me. I read the Wikipedia entry on open baffle technology and that sort of put the hook in me because it makes a lot of sense.

They were delivered freight in telescoping double-walled boxes with heavy-duty foam caps on either end. I saved the caps for moving later and ditched the boxes. The Ts come with simple spikes. The base and cap are laminated wood, the units are very heavy, stiff and solid.

I am running these through Marantz separates, an AV8801 preamp and matching power amp, forget the model. For source material, I am using a Marantz blueray player for video and the built-in audio streaming in the AV8801. But I got these for music, so that is mostly what I use them for. The room I have them in is carpeted, cathedral ceiling game room on 2d floor, about 22' by 22', but it's also open to the downstairs one side which probably has some negative effect. I bought the T2s for a house I am building now that will have a room that is 28 by 35 that is more enclosed, and I think in the bigger room they would really sing. But as we'll see, they are versatile enough for medium-sized rooms as well.

So, running the speakers through my first tests I played Donovan's Sunshine Superman, lots of Doors, Radiohead's "Knives Out", and some vintage soul like Nina Simone and Otis Redding, also some Elliott Smith, and some vintage country: Jim Reeves (which is surprisingly well-recorded for its era).

So, first let me say, I am not a super-technical audiophile guy, this is my first really serious system, so I don't have a lot of reference here, but what I can say is that I was absolutely astonished. When I first got the T2s, I played songs for hours. There is a very strong imaging that these speakers present, and very precise detail. I auditioned plenty of speakers in sort of a high-end retail environment (Magnolia, which has mid-level B&W and Martin Logan) and the T2s outclass that bunch.

I should say that I opted to mate the T2s with a subwoofer, which might not be necessary for everyone. The low-end on the T2s is impressive, but I wanted deeper bass for some material. I chose the SVS SB13 Ultra, which is a compact 13.5 inch woofer with 1000w, and I set the crosses at 40hz, but I am sort of playing with 60hz as well.

I am happy to answer any specific questions, I am pretty enthusiastic about these and think they are a great value