Tyson's NX-Treme Review

Captainhemo

Re: Tyson's NX-Treme Review
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2020, 07:34 pm »
When will you switch to current production gear?

I'd imagine when there is a reason to ....

jay

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2020, 07:39 pm »
I'd imagine when there is a reason to ....

jay
From a consumer standpoint I believe there is.  Having current equipment that someone can actually buy when they hear the system is critical IMO.  There is an abundance of equipment that is available that is VERY good. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2020, 07:41 pm »
Danny mentioned he might be picking up the Elekit Japan 300b amp, the current version of the one I brought along for my demo.

genjamon

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jan 2020, 07:42 pm »
Yeah, I don’t get it, Jason. As long as it measures great, it shouldn’t matter should it?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jan 2020, 07:56 pm »
Danny mentioned he might be picking up the Elekit Japan 300b amp, the current version of the one I brought along for my demo.
Great

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jan 2020, 08:33 pm »
Yeah, I don’t get it, Jason. As long as it measures great, it shouldn’t matter should it?
Totally off topic

RonP

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jan 2020, 09:30 pm »
Yes, but less than with box speakers.

Thanks!  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jan 2020, 09:38 pm »
When will you switch to current production gear?

If I ever find anything that sounds better I'll use it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jan 2020, 09:39 pm »

And I am building out some of the Folsom high powered chip amps.

bernardo

« Reply #29 on: 10 Jan 2020, 09:50 pm »
I have a battery powered Dodd Audio tube pre-amp to sell if someone is interested.

AKLegal

« Reply #30 on: 10 Jan 2020, 10:06 pm »
And I am building out some of the Folsom high powered chip amps.

I hope you do a build thread.  I am building a pair as well - actually I haven't started yet.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 10 Jan 2020, 11:28 pm »
If I ever find anything that sounds better I'll use it.
So you're saying that all your customers who do not use what you do (which isn't available) will not get the same result?

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 10 Jan 2020, 11:47 pm »
So you're saying that all your customers who do not use what you do (which isn't available) will not get the same result?

Results will vary for every customer. They all use different gear. I'm not system building for them. I am providing them with speakers.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #33 on: 11 Jan 2020, 12:22 am »
That is true for every piece of equipment sold.  And for every room that it goes in. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jan 2020, 12:26 am »
That is true for every piece of equipment sold.  And for every room that it goes in.

You are not kidding. The room can make a bigger difference than the gear.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #35 on: 11 Jan 2020, 12:38 am »
Any quality gear will benefit from these speakers. I own Dodd as well, however moved on. Lots of quality gear out there. Anybody want Dodd preamps ?

charles

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 11 Jan 2020, 12:41 am »
You're missing my point though.  He's using gear that you can't buy new...not even an option.  Just strange for a manufacturer to do that. Whatevs

genjamon

« Reply #37 on: 11 Jan 2020, 01:28 am »
Tyson, did the Dodd preamp feed both the First Watt and 300b amps? I assume yes for the First Watt, but does the Elekit have its own volume control?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #38 on: 11 Jan 2020, 01:38 am »
Tyson, did the Dodd preamp feed both the First Watt and 300b amps? I assume yes for the First Watt, but does the Elekit have its own volume control?
The Dodd fed them both.  I actually did surgery on the Elekit a while back and bypassed the volume pot and the selector switch and replaced all the wiring with dead annealed OCC copper wiring.  And replaced the binding posts with low mass high purity copper WBT posts, and replaced the RCA jacks with low mass high purity copper Furutech connectors.  And replaced all coupling caps with copper Miflex caps.  It sounded really good before all those changes, but now it's world class.  As Danny can attest :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 11 Jan 2020, 03:01 am »
You're missing my point though.  He's using gear that you can't buy new...not even an option.  Just strange for a manufacturer to do that. Whatevs

Jason,

What I use in my own system has to be the best it possibly can be to allow me to hear the full capabilities of the products that I develop.

Since Gary passed away I have done one show. And for quite a while I really didn't feel like exhibiting without him right after his passing. I did LSAF last year. You were there. That's the only one I did. And there was no way I wasn't going to use Gary's gear for that show in his home town. It was an emotional remembrance of him. He was still there with us. And that meant something to the people there in Dallas. One good friend teared up over it and had to leave the room. Many people showed their appreciation that I brought that gear with me. I wouldn't have had it any other way.