Bryston Design: What we Do and Do Not like

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: Bryston Design: What we Do and Do Not like
« Reply #40 on: 6 Jun 2020, 10:16 am »
Hi Liz

I think given todays technology all those features would be done through software and an IPad rather than physically being placed on the preamp.

james
Play with one of these and digital won't even be an option anymore.

GrooveControl

« Reply #41 on: 6 Jun 2020, 04:33 pm »
Play with one of these and digital won't even be an option anymore.

I would agree that Paramtric EQ is definitely the way to go. Not sure why they aren't more popular. I especially like the shelf features on this unit. 

While I'm not suggesting my 24bit miniDSP 2x4HD sounds as good as this unit would, at 10% of the cost it is a useful tool to evaluate how a parametric eq might help someone's system. In addition to the features offered in the analog API device the DSP provides 10 bands and Q adjustment.  Among other things.

brucek

« Reply #42 on: 7 Jun 2020, 07:32 pm »
I would agree that Paramtric EQ is definitely the way to go. Not sure why they aren't more popular. I especially like the shelf features on this unit. 

I think parametric EQ is useful below about 100 Hz to address room resonance.

At low frequencies the wavelengths compared to room size are large enough that they're considered minimum phase (first reflections from walls, etc. arrive at listening positions with a phase shift less than a cycle). For example, 60Hz has a wavelength of about 19 feet, so parametric EQ will be effective in reducing unwanted peaks that couldn't really be handled with room treatment since they would be physically too large.

Higher frequencies are better handled by room treatment. It's not that a parametric EQ couldn't do the same job at higher frequencies, it's just that the wavelengths are so short that if you moved your head even a small amount the effect would be nullified or worse sound terrible.

brucek

Mike-48

« Reply #43 on: 7 Jun 2020, 09:26 pm »
What I want from Bryston in a box exactly like the BP-26 is a set of tone controls.serious tone controls. with many features.
Defeatable of course.. th standard three bass mids treble. then a loudness KNOB with variable detent setting, say six or seven levels.
A set of Q settings for those three tone controls and a set of knobs to move each of the three tone control centers...
Now THERE is a tone control IT would also have two sets of tape loops and output. maybe two inputs. So you could really play with it.

I sure do agree with Elizabeth on this. I think the whole business of "tone controls destroy purity" has become a canard that sometimes is used by manufacturers to avoid the work involved in doing it right. Whether they are done in the digital domain (probably in the DAC) or in the analog domain, there is no disputing the usefulness of tone controls, UNLESS you are interested in "audiophile" recordings only. But for anyone who listens to a large variety of material, they are a godsend. Likewise, a loudness control with detented levels would be wonderful for those who sometimes listen at very low volume. This is, actually, a reason I've never had a Bryston preamp, despite having Bryston amps for years.

mav52

« Reply #44 on: 7 Jun 2020, 10:45 pm »
add a basic remote. For free.

Let the customer have access to the filters on the BDA-3

GeAllan70

« Reply #45 on: 7 Jun 2020, 11:06 pm »
the new face plates with something like the Goatsmetertm

GrooveControl

« Reply #46 on: 7 Jun 2020, 11:07 pm »
I think the whole business of "tone controls destroy purity" has become a canard that sometimes is used by manufacturers to avoid the work involved in doing it right.

I think it also helps retailers move more product. I'm stunned at how people change their amps and other electronics to change the sound of their systems. Speakers yes, but pre and power amps?  I have three EQs, and not in the closet, they are hooked up in each of my systems and used all the time. Another sad  state of affairs is the disappearance of the tape loop, and main-in pre-out jacks on some of today's offerings. Did I mention I love the B60 for this reason, okay, maybe just once or twice.

McIntosh isn't afraid to include tone controls. 5 bands is better than just bass and treble, and definitely better than no EQ at all. I like their choice of frequencies: 30, 125, 500, 2k and 10k.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #47 on: 7 Jun 2020, 11:12 pm »
I think it also helps retailers move more product. I'm stunned at how people change their amps and other electronics to change the sound of their systems. Speakers yes, but pre and power amps?  I have three EQs, and not in the closet, they are hooked up in each of my systems and used all the time. Another sad  state of affairs is the disappearance of the tape loop, and main-in pre-out jacks on some of today's offerings. Did I mention I love the B60 for this reason, okay, maybe just once or twice.

McIntosh isn't afraid to include tone controls. 5 bands is better than just bass and treble, and definitely better than no EQ at all. I like their choice of frequencies: 30, 125, 500, 2k and 10k.

I sure do agree with Elizabeth on this. I think the whole business of "tone controls destroy purity" has become a canard that sometimes is used by manufacturers to avoid the work involved in doing it right. Whether they are done in the digital domain (probably in the DAC) or in the analog domain, there is no disputing the usefulness of tone controls, UNLESS you are interested in "audiophile" recordings only. But for anyone who listens to a large variety of material, they are a godsend. Likewise, a loudness control with detented levels would be wonderful for those who sometimes listen at very low volume. This is, actually, a reason I've never had a Bryston preamp, despite having Bryston amps for years.
I have the Schiit Loki EQ. I notice no loss of fidelity, increase in noise, et al. No speaker is perfect, no room is perfect. It definitely helps with many recordings.

drummermitchell

« Reply #48 on: 7 Jun 2020, 11:35 pm »
And then we EQ every track/song
Especially most earlier recordings
I’d rather Enjoy the music just like my AM/FM in my vans.
Can’t imagine messing with every track,no time to really relax and enjoy the moment.........
California Dreamin on a winters day
Would I EQi...........NOT.....spoiles my Good Vibrations on my deck.
Interferes with my party for one as I have a mood on my deck and don’t need to fiddle around and mess it up
 :D :D

GrooveControl

« Reply #49 on: 8 Jun 2020, 02:02 am »
And then we EQ every track/song... 

That’s one way to use an EQ, but seems like a heck of a lot of work. 

I only change my eq under three conditions. 

1 - The speakers have been changed. I have more than I need and sometimes rotate them. 
2 - The speaker or primary listening position has changed.
3 - i think I can further improve the overall performance, regardless of what’s playing at the moment. 

I often go several months without touching the EQ.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #50 on: 8 Jun 2020, 11:31 am »
Hi Folks,

Yes be very careful with EQ's as they can affect the on and off axis performance of your speakers.

james

Mike-48

« Reply #51 on: 8 Jun 2020, 09:38 pm »
People are missing the point. Good EQ has an OFF switch. It is a feature, not a mandatory adjustment.

Some recordings simply are horrible or unrealistic without EQ. Being able to tame screechy treble or bring up missing bass is a very nice feature.

If you listen only to modern audiophile recordings, or you have optimized your system to sound good with Living Presence discs, and that's mostly what you listen to, this does not apply to you.

If you never play the music softly late at night, you are not among those who would benefit from adjustable loudness compensation.

For heaven's sakes, volume controls degrade the sound. Do we play everything at full volume to get the purest sound? No -- we live in the real world and accept that it's full of trade-offs. And manufacturers put some effort into making the best volume controls possible, as they should do with EQ.

zoom25

« Reply #52 on: 8 Jun 2020, 09:44 pm »
I'd only EQ across the frequency spectrum for headphones (Sonarworks, Audeze Reveal). For speakers, EQ use would be limited for only the bass frequencies. Everything else via positioning and acoustic treatment. I like to keep all EQ and enhancements turned off and out of the chain.

mclsound

« Reply #53 on: 9 Jun 2020, 02:19 pm »
Meters..not a bad idea..
However. .
Make it a personal option.
Customizable gear would be a future thought..
Audiophiles are well. .picky
So if your a true Bryston fan..why not let them customize their gear..
Meters
Handles
EQ
Etc.

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #54 on: 9 Jun 2020, 02:41 pm »
Having worked on both sides of the fence (government and private industry), I know what it might take in the way of additional tooling, parts, design / production capabilities, documentation,  and customer support to offer a myriad of alternate  additions to a piece of electronic equipment.  Bryston is a relatively small manufacturing company - - and they specialize in both professional and Audiophile sound reproduction. 

Personally, I'm truly grateful Bryston offers Audiophiles what is truly essential for listing to quality music - -  and with superlative customer support to back up what they sell.  I sorta' hope they don't try and get more from the goose that lays the golden egg.

Just the thoughts of an ancient geezer.

GeAllan70

« Reply #55 on: 10 Jun 2020, 07:36 pm »
no BDP-Pi 19" with handles....   :duh:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #56 on: 11 Jun 2020, 07:05 pm »

...i find that Bryston‘s preamps and integrated should have more digital options especially usb input. makes it more versatile. let‘s take the BP17 Cubed preamp - a highend preamplifier with all the today‘s bells and whistles. All?? no, sadly not. a dac card is available with coax but usb still stays outside. why?
hopefully the BP18 can help here...

al.