Cary Audio DMS-700 with BEATS - OMG

artofaudio

Cary Audio DMS-700 with BEATS - OMG
« on: 26 Aug 2022, 04:15 pm »
I was looking for a streamer/DAC/Pre solution for the BEATS.  I visited the Cary Audio headquarters and ended up purchasing a Cary DMS 700.  It is out of this world!  Anyway, I will have some goodies for sale. (Pontus II, Lumin U1 Mini with Audio Sensibilty DC cord upgrade, Farad Super3 with purple fuse, JS -2 with purple or stock fuse, upgraded DC cords). The multi box sound great but the DMS-700 is in another league and it should be for 7k! 

I knew I could get more out of the BEATS but I was not expecting this much.  It is a formidable combination with Jim’s speakers.  I considered the new Lumin T3 but I’m very satisfied with this combo.

philliam

Re: Cary Audio DMS-700 with BEATS - OMG
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2022, 05:59 pm »
Could you provide a bit more detail about the sound quality improvements?

I was looking into the Pontus II, so I’m curious if you felt it didn’t pair well with your Salks.

artofaudio

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2022, 10:14 pm »
@ philliam,

The Pontus II is a great sounding and very well built.  It sounds very natural and never harsh and I highly recommend it with Salks or any speaker. Alvin Chee and his staff always respond to my emails.  Their customer service is top notch. I put mine up for sale yesterday and it was sold in a few minutes. 

It seems like Salks just get better and better as you upgrade components.

philliam

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2022, 02:27 pm »
Glad to hear that the Pontus worked well with your Salks. I have been surprised at how quickly it sells on the used market at nearly full price, but I guess that speaks to its quality and performance. I’ll keep it on my short list, as I don’t have $7k to spend at the moment.

I appreciate the response and helpful feedback. Enjoy the DMS 700!

pehare

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2022, 06:58 pm »
Agreed enjoy!  I picked up a traded-in mint condition black DMS-600 a few months ago direct from Cary (so cheap I couldn't believe it) and couldn't be happier.  Running it direct into a pair of Atma-sphere class D monos powering Tannoy Stirling GR's.....sublime       Happy listening!

artofaudio

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2022, 11:35 pm »
@philliam - When I added the existing components up I figured I was close enough to move up. 
U1Mini $2100
JS-2 LPS $1000
Pontus II $1700
USB, cabling, etc.  $1000

I’ve no regrets at all, it was a great setup but I like the AKM chipset implementation on the DMS-700. 

artofaudio

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2022, 11:40 pm »
@pehare - So no pre-amp?  Are you controlling volume via Cary app or remote control?  I will try this via my pre-amp out.

pehare

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2022, 11:29 am »
no preamp using the Cary app on my android phone streaming basic monthly qobuz subscription.  Also using wi-fi ie not hard wired.