Customization questions

audio1246

Customization questions
« on: 4 Feb 2013, 12:07 am »
Would it be possible to customize SC-STs or HT2-TLs so that the RAAL tweeter is positioned in the center instead of the way they are by default?  Would it impact the way they sound?

Also, has anyone customized the front baffle to not have a beveled edge? Kinda like matching the back?

Austin08

Re: Customization questions
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2013, 12:47 am »
Jim is a custom builder. He will build anything you want.  :thumb:

audio1246

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2013, 12:49 am »
Jim is a custom builder. He will build anything you want.  :thumb:

That's awesome. However would re-positioning the tweeter impact sound quality?

Austin08

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2013, 01:27 am »
I think there will be an impact but very small unless you are compare the different between ss10/12 to the rest of Salk line.

guf

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2013, 01:28 am »
There is a reason for the off set tweeters. I know i've read that somewhere here in the circle. I'm pretty sure it will impact the sound negatively.

chargedmr2

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2013, 02:31 am »
I believe the baffles are also designed for function.  Probably best to leave the function to Jim and make changes to the form only, so to speak.  As others said, he is a custom builder.  Ask and he will deliver.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:00 am »
There  are reasons to offset the tweeter laterally, although it's really not a big deal.  Moving the tweeter to the center would require a slight mod to the crossover, and it's difficult to believe that anyone would have a strong aesthetic preference one way or the other.  As for roundover on the baffle--that's just best practice.  It minimizes diffraction effects caused when a wave (sound, water, or light) hits a sharp edge.   You can ask Jim to square off the edges, but I will hurt him if he consents.  OK--he'll hurt me.  But don't do it. 

OgOgilby

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:04 am »
Would it be possible to customize SC-STs or HT2-TLs so that the RAAL tweeter is positioned in the center instead of the way they are by default?  Would it impact the way they sound?

Also, has anyone customized the front baffle to not have a beveled edge? Kinda like matching the back?

Here you go: http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=160#more-160

audio1246

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:35 am »
There  are reasons to offset the tweeter laterally, although it's really not a big deal.  Moving the tweeter to the center would require a slight mod to the crossover, and it's difficult to believe that anyone would have a strong aesthetic preference one way or the other.  As for roundover on the baffle--that's just best practice.  It minimizes diffraction effects caused when a wave (sound, water, or light) hits a sharp edge.   You can ask Jim to square off the edges, but I will hurt him if he consents.  OK--he'll hurt me.  But don't do it.

Alright wont ask for the tweeter re-positioning. Also wont think about squaring off the edges :). It's just that I like things with clean lines and sharp edges.

audio1246

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:36 am »

OgOgilby

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2013, 11:26 am »
You're welcome. Once your hear the speakers you won't have a problem with the lines. Besides, Jim's speakers always look better in person than they do on the web.