New Accuton bookshelf

RAW

New Accuton bookshelf
« on: 9 Jun 2005, 06:27 pm »
A little forth coming but the design and complete belongs to John.
Hope he does not mind showing them off.
A lot went into these design Ask John.
But a lot of work to get them to this point.
Once they arrived from the CNC shop these were loaded and I mean loaded with some spots up to 1/2" thick of glue !!As well the panels did not all line up correctly so can you say belt sander with 40g.To remove material. :cry:

Calling them a TRANS LAM :D
These will house a new Accuton T60434b and tweeter  :!:

Once they are sit up straight not like the photos on the bench these will be sweet.

Just had to pass it on.

Enjoy Al

JoshK

New Accuton bookshelf
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2005, 07:42 pm »
Unique geometry.  What are the side swoops for, it doesn't look like they are part of the volume, are they just for defraction benefits?

RAW

New Accuton bookshelf
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2005, 07:44 pm »
Yes that is it.
 :mrgreen:

Al

kaimana

New Accuton bookshelf
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2005, 10:11 pm »
Cool design.  What is the availability and cost going to be?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
New Accuton bookshelf
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2005, 10:33 pm »
Hello!

The pics don't really tell the story. This will not be offered for sale. This cabinet was just a way to test translam cabinet construction and to play with the new c90 driver from Accuton. The interiors can be any shape - this one is a slowly tapered spiral. There is a shelf for tweeter testing just above the C90 - likely I'll play with the new LCY ribbon first since dispersion is decent (from reports I have seen) and the efficiency matches the C90 - about 93db. The whole package will sit on some TAD 1601C bass cabinets I have around. Should be fun to experiment with.

The fellow with the NC machine is keen to offer custom cabinet parts - we'll call them 'imaginets' since you can pretty much make any profile you can imagine. We've made a few experiments so far and if we get to where it is rock solid (and easy to construct once parts are cut)  then one of the group of local audio companies may offer the cabinet parts service for DIY types with crazy ideas.

Thanks!

John

Rocket

Raven tweeters
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2005, 10:14 am »
Hi Al,

Have you thought about using the raven 1 tweeter?  It sounds excellent matched with accuton drivers.

Regards

Rod

John Chapman

• Facilitator
New Accuton bookshelf
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2005, 01:19 pm »
Hello!

Thanks for the suggestion! I have used the Aurum Cantus G2 before with good results and I guess it is somewhat similar in design to the Raven. In this case I have to keep mindful of vertical dispersion since the existing TAD bass module is rather tall and the tweet will end up well above  ear height. I'll report here how the LCY works out - it has a smallish square ribbon that should be better in vertical dispersion than the thin/tall ribbons like the Raven and Aurum Cantus. Might also want to try one of the accuton tweets but mostly have been using ribbons foir a bit now.....

Thanks!

John

Bingenito

New Accuton bookshelf
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2005, 10:35 pm »
Very nice cabinets!

I heard an LCY (LCY 130) paired up with an Accuton 7" midbass (C95-T6) at HE2005. I thought the combination was very nice and one of my favorites from the show.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
New Accuton bookshelf
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2005, 10:56 pm »
Hello!

Thanks for the report on them - It is the 130's I have on the way. Hope have them at least roughly installed in the next week or so.

Thanks!

John