Recommended Audio/Video that MUST be Heard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Recommended Audio/Video that MUST be Heard
« Reply #80 on: 7 Mar 2009, 12:25 am »
My question isnt showing up on the screen on the last page. Here it is again, what amp r u using the quads with atm James?

Hi werd,

I was using the 2B SST for a while and am now using the 4B SST Sq.

james

werd

« Reply #81 on: 7 Mar 2009, 12:40 am »
My question isnt showing up on the screen on the last page. Here it is again, what amp r u using the quads with atm James?

Hi werd,

I was using the 2B SST for a while and am now using the 4B SST Sq.

james

Thats awesome and i am really keen on hearin what u think.

werd

« Reply #82 on: 26 Mar 2009, 02:26 am »
Hello everyone,

I finally found this cd i have been looking for, lost in my car cd changer. i know i posted this earlier but its worth posting again.

Dan Hicks, Beating the Heat

This is one of my favorite recordings. The audio is top notch, and the lyrics are as good. Check out the link to see all the names that are on it. http://www.danhicks.net/beatintheheat.htm

Great for the car and making you feel great

4WR

« Reply #83 on: 26 Mar 2009, 01:03 pm »
Porcupine Tree - "Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here"

This is a concert DVD with a DTS 5.1 surround track and has some of the most articulate bass I've heard in any format.
 The .1 LFE channel will give all but the most robust subwoofers a run for their lives.
Well worth a spin.

Take Care
4WR

95Dyna

« Reply #84 on: 27 Mar 2009, 06:02 pm »
"Rusted brandy in a diamond glass
Everthing is made from dreams
Time is made of honey slow and sweet
Only fools know what it means......"

From Tom Waits 1987 hit "Temptation".  You must hear Diana Krall and Elvis Costello's arrangement of this song on her CD "The Girl In The Next Room".  The CD from 2004 is a colaberation between Krall and her husband Costello.  This particular track is a jazzy, smokey, sultry, bassy arrangement that will blow your socks off if you're wearing any at the time.  With Bryston's famous bass control prowess this piece should sound exquisite as should the rest of the CD.  If you like this you will like her "Live in Paris" as well.  I could go on.

Mag

« Reply #85 on: 27 Mar 2009, 07:10 pm »
There here!!

My sacd version of Fillmore East, Allman Brothers & Zombies greatest hits.
I will be transferring them to cd-r and playing them in my BCD-1 for the ultimate in high resolution multi-channel stereo sound source.

I'll have to wait till after work though and have my nap. I like to be wide awake when I critically listen to music.

Mag

« Reply #86 on: 29 Mar 2009, 02:53 am »
Follow up on Fillmore East - Allman Bros.:

I had a chance to compare the two formats. In sacd the sound is more laid back, if you like that sorta thing. Overall the presentation is very good in multi-channel speaker mode. Mind you I don't have expensive IC connecting  my Sony NS9100ES sacd player to Yamaha RX-V1700 used as a pre-amp.

Played on the BCD-1 in Yamaha RX-V1700 multi-channel stereo with 7 channel enhancer on, and expensive IC. The BCD-1 smokes the sacd in terms of transparency and tonal richness of the instruments. The presentation is very forward compared to sacd, but IMO much more 'live' realistic.

As for the album, I like the extended jams and great lead guitar playing. (Mountain Jam is not on this version, but is on the Eat a Peach sacd) IMO however, the Beginnings album the band's sound is much tighter and refined. Whipping Post especially has layered sound instruments and is a masterpiece in its presentation. The other songs Dreams, Black Hearted Woman, Not my Cross to Bear, makes this my preferred album of my Allman Bros. collection.

95Dyna

« Reply #87 on: 30 Mar 2009, 07:29 pm »
Hi Mag,

I'm a lifelong Allman Brothers Band fan having seen them live when Duane Allman and Berry Oakley were still alive (Feb. 1971 just one month prior to the famous Fillmore concerts).  I've also seen them 7 times in the last 12 years with Warren Haynes, Derrick Trucks (Butch's nephew) and Otiel Burbridge playing the Dicky Betts, Duane and Berry roles respectively.  They put on an unbelieveable show and if you don't have two of their more recent releases "Hittin' the Note" and "Where it All Begins" give them a try, you won't be disappointed.  I'm curious what recording you have of the Filmore East concerts that doesn't include Mountain Jam (AKA Variations on a Theme By Donavan Leitch).  Both the original LP and the re issue few years back do.  My first acquisition was the vinyl LP in 1970 entitled "Idlewild South" which came out subsequent to your favorite "Beginnings".  I have since acquired the CD that includes both.

Eat a Peach,

Bill

Moon Doggy

« Reply #88 on: 31 Mar 2009, 08:43 am »
Mark Knopfler  "Sailing to Philadelphia" (2000)

Reference level sound quality on this CD. Play it to show off your system :)

James

95Dyna

« Reply #89 on: 31 Mar 2009, 06:26 pm »

James

Hi Moondoggy,

I've been a Knopfler fan since way back in the "Sultans of Swing" days.  His sound is exquisite.  By the way, that picture under your name looks familiar.  Is that from the Clearaudio link on the Musical Surroundings website.  I think Musical Surroundings is Clearaudio's US distributor.

Bill

Moon Doggy

« Reply #90 on: 1 Apr 2009, 12:38 am »
By the way, that picture under your name looks familiar.  Is that from the Clearaudio link on the Musical Surroundings website.  I think Musical Surroundings is Clearaudio's US distributor.

Bill
Shhh! Don't tell them I stole their pic. :wink: The picture sums up the qualities of a fine TT very well. I guess you can tell I'm a fan of Clearaudio.

95Dyna

« Reply #91 on: 1 Apr 2009, 06:31 pm »
By the way, that picture under your name looks familiar.  Is that from the Clearaudio link on the Musical Surroundings website.  I think Musical Surroundings is Clearaudio's US distributor.

Bill
Shhh! Don't tell them I stole their pic. :wink: The picture sums up the qualities of a fine TT very well. I guess you can tell I'm a fan of Clearaudio.

Hi James,

I have a question for you regarding Clearaudio and sent you a PM to avoid taking the thread off track so check your messages.

Thanks,

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #92 on: 1 Apr 2009, 06:54 pm »

Bill

Hi James,

I have a question for you regarding Clearaudio and sent you a PM to avoid taking the thread off track so check your messages.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Did not get it.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #93 on: 1 Apr 2009, 07:23 pm »

Bill
Shhh! Don't tell them I stole their pic. :wink: The picture sums up the qualities of a fine TT very well. I guess you can tell I'm a fan of Clearaud

Hi James,

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Did not get it.

james

Sorry James.  I was adressing James AKA Moon Doggy.

Bill

95Dyna

« Reply #94 on: 1 Apr 2009, 07:25 pm »

Bill

Hi James,

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Did not get it.

james

Sorry James.  I was addressing James AKA Moon Doggy.

Bill

Jet Jockey1

« Reply #95 on: 3 Apr 2009, 07:37 pm »

James

Hey all, if you like Mark, check out "Ragpickers Dream", fantastic content and the SQ is stunning.

Jet Jockey1

« Reply #96 on: 3 Apr 2009, 07:52 pm »
Here is a list of some of my fav concerts on BD, HD DVD and of course plain old DVD.

1) The Police: Certifiable....simply amazing AQ and PQ and a great show to boot.
2) Eagles: Farewell 1 from Melbourne on HD DVD...same as above.
3) Stevie Wonder "live at last" on BD, great show, AQ and PQ are fantastic.
4) Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds on BD...wow!
5) Legends of Jazz on BD. stunning PQ&AQ
6) Chicago & Earth, Wind and Fire on BD.
7) Huey Lewis & the News on DVD, "Live at 25" Don't laugh! PQ is ok but the audio track is superb, wicked bass lines and kick drum.
8) Eric Clapton "One more car, one more rider" on DVD,DTS track is superb, awesome show.
9) UB 40 "Homegrown" on DVD, AQ is superb and the bass lines will knock your socks off!
10) Boz Scaggs on DVD "Greatest hits live"...DTS track kills on this one, PQ is superb as well.

Enjoy!

predrag

« Reply #97 on: 4 Apr 2009, 09:15 pm »
We Brystoneers are proud of bass performance of our rigs, right?
Here is one of my favourite recordings with three bass players:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2756/superbass2.jpg[/img]][/url]
Ray Brown, John Clayton and Christian McBride: SuperBass 2 (TELARC Jazz)
It is live performance with all the attributes of a materpiece musically and technically.
This drives bass drivers wild!  :bomb:
My recommandation!

werd

« Reply #98 on: 6 Apr 2009, 05:16 am »

Yes thats Madonna, this recording can be taken seriousily. Its a great example of stellar SQ. What it delivers is Madonna's ability to produce material outside of mainstream hiphop but yet keep the dance beat moving. Its  very folk sounding material encased around electronic based beats,  it also has the 007 theme on it....  8). The cd is nearly always under 10 bucks everywhere i see it and is worth picking up.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2009, 12:50 am by werd »

Moon Doggy

« Reply #99 on: 6 Apr 2009, 10:44 am »

Yes thats Madonna, this recording can be taken seriousily. Its a great example of stellar SQ. What it delivers is Madonna's ability to produce material outside of mainstream hiphop but yet keep the dance beat moving. Its  very folk sounding material encased around electronic based beats,  it also has the 007 theme on it....  8). The cd is nearly always under 10 bucks everywhere i see it and is worth picking up.

The uncensored version costs $30  :icon_surprised: