What is the better driver?

Kw6

What is the better driver?
« on: 3 Nov 2022, 05:38 am »
Hi everyone!

Between the 300b and El34 which tube drives the 845/805 tubes better?

Thanks!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: What is the better driver?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2022, 01:37 pm »
I prefer 6SN7-6SL7 + 6AU5GT in Triode as used by Kara Chafee.
The 300B/EL34 are power tubes that will demand more power from the Power Transformer than a usual small tube.

300B is a expensive tube, who started using 300B and 2A3
as drivers were the Chinese builders for marketing purposes because these both tubes are famous in China among audiofools.

Dont walk, run from a 845 or 805 amp unless its dirty cheap and you have a stock of American made NOS 805, forget 845.

There is no reason to buy expensive 211/845/805 Chinese commercial tubes or unobtainium USA NOS when you can get hi quality Russian Military tubes as GM70 at under $20usd/each>
http://www.gstube.com/catalog/?key=gm70&submit=Find

https://jacmusic.com/nos/GM70/
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2022, 03:36 am by FullRangeMan »

Kw6

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2022, 03:02 pm »
Thanks again for your sage advice! So do you think a SEP El34 like Simply Italy has the same magic as those Line Magnetic 805/845 integrateds?☺️

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2022, 03:57 pm »
Not the same, different very different.
805 is a great sound tube with músclês.
Any link?

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2022, 06:02 pm »
Hi everyone!

Between the 300b and El34 which tube drives the 845/805 tubes better?

Thanks!

SET purists would say 300B. But it really depends on the amp in question. Needless to say, not all SET amplifiers are designed to use a DHT as a  driver tube. My LM 218ia is a good example. This is an 845 based SET. Recommended drivers go from 6V6 thru KT88 and all tubes in between including the EL34 mentioned. I've had this amp for over 10 years and my favorite driver tubes are either the Genalex Gold Lion KT88 ( new reissue) or the Psvane KT88T MKII. This after trying just about all the driver tube possibilities mentioned.

Kw6

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2022, 04:10 am »
Ok thanks Mick for sharing your experience with Line Magnetic! I thought big Triode amps being so hot would destroy internals prematurely vs say El34 push pull! ☺️

Kw6

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2022, 04:13 am »
Not the same, different very different.
805 is a great sound tube with músclês.
Any link?

I don't know how to upload link but it's the review from Christiaan Punter from HiFi Advice. He liked the Line Magnetic 845 Premium the most then 805ia and then 845ia. Would you agree 805 is a warmer smoother tube than 845 in general?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2022, 04:56 am »
Yes NOS 805 have a addictive more harmonically rich sound than 845, what works well even with inexpensive old-fashioned EI OPTs.
Just found this:
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/mr-liang845.html

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2022, 05:27 pm »
Ok thanks Mick for sharing your experience with Line Magnetic! I thought big Triode amps being so hot would destroy internals prematurely vs say El34 push pull! ☺️

You're welcome. Just make sure the amp is set up in a well ventilated open space. I even use a small, quiet cooling fan in the summer months. This sits behind the amp. Same rules apply for my P-P tube amps. I'd probably be more concerned about the longevity of internals if I were running a pure class A solid state amp.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2022, 12:59 am »
There is significant, but your question makes little sense. My question would be; how well designed. How well executed. I have heard very good of each. And bad of each. Best & worst had 300b.

Noteworthy that anyone doing an 845 or 211 is probably better at both design and execution due to the lethal voltages

dave

Kw6

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2022, 05:02 pm »
Fullrangeman,

I haven't heard the line magnet yet but I keep going back to my Cayin cs-55a El34 in Triode mode. I recently audition the 300b Cayin.I still prefer the El-34. So if I like El34 will I get further sonic gains by going to a Reisong A12 which is SET 6 watts vs my psuedo Triode mode at 18 watts?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2022, 08:57 pm »
I could stay with the current 18W amp.

mick wolfe

« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2022, 10:27 pm »
I don't know how to upload link but it's the review from Christiaan Punter from HiFi Advice. He liked the Line Magnetic 845 Premium the most then 805ia and then 845ia. Would you agree 805 is a warmer smoother tube than 845 in general?

First off and unless I missed it, what speaker are you trying to drive?  Next the usual suspects...How big is your room? How loud do you listen? What type of music do you listen to? Your budget?

Kw6

« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov 2022, 04:06 am »
There is significant, but your question makes little sense. My question would be; how well designed. How well executed. I have heard very good of each. And bad of each. Best & worst had 300b.

Noteworthy that anyone doing an 845 or 211 is probably better at both design and execution due to the lethal voltages

dave

That makes sense Dave!

Kw6

« Reply #14 on: 8 Nov 2022, 04:14 am »
You're welcome. Just make sure the amp is set up in a well ventilated open space. I even use a small, quiet cooling fan in the summer months. This sits behind the amp. Same rules apply for my P-P tube amps. I'd probably be more concerned about the longevity of internals if I were running a pure class A solid state amp.

I have to audition amp. Just today went to dealer to listen to the Luxman MQ-88uC just to see how far apart sound from my amp. The Harbeth Shl5+ was used with Luxman cd player, preamp then the MQ-88UC. sounded ok nothing spectacular. Last time we went from cd player direct into tube amp but speaker was the Harbeth P3ESR original version. More of the tonal richness I heard from Luxman came from the speaker too. But the Jadis orchestra black didn't sound as good as the Luxman with P3ESR. But today definitely no magic.

Kw6

« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2022, 06:25 pm »
First off and unless I missed it, what speaker are you trying to drive?  Next the usual suspects...How big is your room? How loud do you listen? What type of music do you listen to? Your budget?

Klipsch Forte IVs, 12x30x9 living space. Currently my favorite is the Cayin cs-55a El34 in Triode mode 18watts. Want to try a SET 845 like Fullrangeman. Or Simply Italy SEP. What I don't like about the 845 is the heat and longevity of amp. But Fullrangeman has ow Ed LM for 10 years so that makes me happy and at ease.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2022, 09:35 pm »
I run a 6c33,  Mick Wolfe own a LM 845.

mick wolfe

« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2022, 04:22 pm »
Klipsch Forte IVs, 12x30x9 living space. Currently my favorite is the Cayin cs-55a El34 in Triode mode 18watts. Want to try a SET 845 like Fullrangeman. Or Simply Italy SEP. What I don't like about the 845 is the heat and longevity of amp. But Fullrangeman has ow Ed LM for 10 years so that makes me happy and at ease.

OK, now the picture is a little more clear. If the Cayin in triode is getting it done at 18 watts, I wouldn't consider anything with less power. (like the Simply Italy SEP you've mentioned) In my experience, an 845 based SET putting out roughly 22 watts will sound "subjectively" as strong as the Cayin in full ultralinear. Maybe even a bit stronger. But as a plus, you will get a strong dose of SET magic. In a perfect world, I would still keep the Cayin even if you decide to buy an 845 based amp or similar. Rotate the amps to minimize wear and tear. The Cayin for more casual everyday listening, the 845 ( or similar ) for your more serious listening sessions.

Kw6

« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov 2022, 05:07 pm »
Ok thanks Mick! I will post again when I have had a chance to listen to the LM 845ia! ☺️

Kw6

« Reply #19 on: 12 Nov 2022, 05:11 pm »
I run a 6c33,  Mick Wolfe own a LM 845.

Yes I always had a fascination with the 6c33c! I heard only the BAT audio never a SET 6c33c. Someone once told me the Lamm SET using those tubes were the best amps in the world. He played in an orchestra.