BRYSTON BCD-3 UPDATE?

Mariusz Uszynski

BRYSTON BCD-3 UPDATE?
« on: 25 Sep 2022, 03:55 pm »
Hi All, question about update.My Bryston BCD-3 cd player is connected to the internet.If there is in fact new update/firmware, how do I find out about it?, will cd player display indicate, there is new update.If not, is there a point to have it connected to the internet at all?
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2022, 05:00 pm by Mariusz Uszynski »

R. Daneel

Re: BRYSTON BCD-3 UPDATE?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2022, 01:20 pm »
Hi All, question about update.My Bryston BCD-3 cd player is connected to the internet.If there is in fact new update/firmware, how do I find out about it?, will cd player display indicate, there is new update.If not, is there a point to have it connected to the internet at all?

Hi Mariusz!

With a machine like BCD-3, I would not recommend updating the firmware unless there is a technical issue and the firmware update can resolve it. Otherwise do not do it.

Were you able to resolve the ‘Tray Error’?

Cheers - Antun

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2022, 01:37 pm »
Hi Mariusz!

With a machine like BCD-3, I would not recommend updating the firmware unless there is a technical issue and the firmware update can resolve it. Otherwise do not do it.

Cheers - Antun

Hi Antun, actually it started working after three days.I honestly don't know, what happened?I disconnected the unit from the internet.Thank you very much for replay.

R. Daneel

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2022, 10:59 am »
Hi Mariusz!

Cheers - Antun

Hi Antun, actually it started working after three days.I honestly don't know, what happened?I disconnected the unit from the internet.Thank you very much for replay.

That's odd! Who knows what the actual problem was - some weird electrical interaction, a bug? Strange. I would not have expected it from an expensive machine like the BCD-3.

In any case, unless the machine's operation is absolutely dependent on internet connection like it is with a typical streamer, I don't see why you would want to have it connected to a LAN.

If nothing else, I wouldn't have it connected because telephone lines are usually more sensitive to lighting strikes.

Cheers - Antun

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2022, 01:10 pm »
That's odd! Who knows what the actual problem was - some weird electrical interaction, a bug? Strange. I would not have expected it from an expensive machine like the BCD-3.

In any case, unless the machine's operation is absolutely dependent on internet connection like it is with a typical streamer, I don't see why you would want to have it connected to a LAN.

If nothing else, I wouldn't have it connected because telephone lines are usually more sensitive to lighting strikes.

Cheers - Antun

Hi Antun, lesson learnt, my "Baby" is disconnected.To be honest, I thought it should be connected for updates, just like smart TV.That was the only reason...silly me.

R. Daneel

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2022, 04:27 pm »

Cheers - Antun

Hi Antun, lesson learnt, my "Baby" is disconnected.To be honest, I thought it should be connected for updates, just like smart TV.That was the only reason...silly me.

Hi Mariusz!

😉 Sure, I can understand the ‘want’ to make use of all the connectors in the back! However, you need to realise that the firmware in a typical CD player, including the BCD-3, is very rudimentary indeed. For example, the display is VFD and shows the track number and elapsed time. Of course, you really don’t need much more than that on a CD player. So, the firmware that operates it as well as the logic circuit needn’t be advanced and an 8-bit circuit will do it nicely. On the other hand, if it had a colour display with graphics or album art cover, then it’d be a lot more demanding on the hardware and then a 32-bit CPU might be necessary. In such a case, the firmware could be updated to allow for different colour scheme, a deeper menu-style system with more options, more colourful album art etc. Your CD player has none of that so updates are unlikely and providing everything has already been done in the factory, there is no need to update anything. Ever!

Doing updates on systems like these can be risky. If the process isn’t done correctly or for example, you have a power outage while you’re doing it, you will have destroyed the chip containing the firmware and it would require factory repair. Even this is risky because in many cases, the chip cannot be removed from the board containing it and so the entire board must be replaced which is a costly procedure. This would be the worst case scenario but I think you get the idea.

Glad to hear your BCD-3is now working, enjoy!

Cheers - Antun

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2022, 06:08 pm »
Hi Mariusz!

😉 Sure, I can understand the ‘want’ to make use of all the connectors in the back! However, you need to realise that the firmware in a typical CD player, including the BCD-3, is very rudimentary indeed. For example, the display is VFD and shows the track number and elapsed time. Of course, you really don’t need much more than that on a CD player. So, the firmware that operates it as well as the logic circuit needn’t be advanced and an 8-bit circuit will do it nicely. On the other hand, if it had a colour display with graphics or album art cover, then it’d be a lot more demanding on the hardware and then a 32-bit CPU might be necessary. In such a case, the firmware could be updated to allow for different colour scheme, a deeper menu-style system with more options, more colourful album art etc. Your CD player has none of that so updates are unlikely and providing everything has already been done in the factory, there is no need to update anything. Ever!

Doing updates on systems like these can be risky. If the process isn’t done correctly or for example, you have a power outage while you’re doing it, you will have destroyed the chip containing the firmware and it would require factory repair. Even this is risky because in many cases, the chip cannot be removed from the board containing it and so the entire board must be replaced which is a costly procedure. This would be the worst case scenario but I think you get the idea.

Glad to hear your BCD-3is now working, enjoy!

Cheers - Antun

Thank you very much for owesome explanation.To be honest, I have never paid much attention to "anatomy of the audio/video gear".Whenever, I'm on the market for something, I read about the equipment I like, then I purchase it.That's why, I've never consider myself an audiophile...I'm more of a music lover or heavy metal maniac, lol.Again, thank you very much, your explanation was very helpful. :thumb: :wink: :icon_twisted:

R. Daneel

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2022, 01:07 pm »
Hi Mariusz!

No, you are an audiophile! You wouldn't be spending all that money if you weren't an audiophile! :green:

I hope your CD player doesn't give you any more trouble.

Cheers - Antun

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2022, 02:58 pm »
Hi Mariusz!

No, you are an audiophile! You wouldn't be spending all that money if you weren't an audiophile! :green:

Cheers - Antun

Thanks for all the kind words. :thumb: :D

R. Daneel

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2022, 05:24 pm »
Hi Mariusz!

Cheers - Antun

Thanks for all the kind words. :thumb: :D

Hi Mariusz!

Just one question for you, since you mentioned metal – Dream Theater or Nightwish?  :green:

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2022, 06:10 pm »
Hi Mariusz!

Just one question for you, since you mentioned metal – Dream Theater or Nightwish?  :green:

I have only 2 cds by Dream Theater, "Images And Words" (1992) and "Awake" (1994) and none of Nightwish.

R. Daneel

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2022, 01:33 pm »
Hi Mariusz!

I have only 2 cds by Dream Theater, "Images And Words" (1992) and "Awake" (1994) and none of Nightwish.

Hi Mariusz!

Oh, “Images and words” is a superb album, even if you’re a casual rock listener.

I also recommend the “Scenes from a memory / Metropolis pt.2” and “Six degrees of inner turbulence”. Both excellent but man, there is something about the latter, especially the disc 2. Even though the topic is rather dark, it’s told in such a cheerful and melodic way that I really wonder where they got the inspiration. I’ve heard from some people who aren’t even rock fans that that is their favourite rock album.

I don’t own “Awake”. I own some of their newer albums but sadly, I haven’t had time to listen to them yet.

Cheers - Antun