Introduction

WannaBeHiFi

Introduction
« on: 17 Aug 2022, 08:30 pm »
Hey Y'all

I've been lurking around for a while, finally decided to join.  I found AC from the GR website.  I found GR looking for reviews of speakers I was interested in.  Danny shredded them, so I started watching all the videos.  I didn't even know DIY audio was a thing.  Along the way I ordered a set of X-LS Encores and a flatpack.  I'm attracted to the value per $.

The cabinets are complete.  Nothing fancy, Duratex, rattle can white, rattle can clear.  This is a proof of concept build.

The guts came in the other day.  Both crossovers are complete, all that remains is wiring and final assembly.

I'm starting with the basic level kit.  I can't justify a $200 upgrade of something unknown.  I'm curious to see if I can reproduce the things that Danny discusses in his videos.  Danny often says the upgrades take the speaker to a whole nuther level.  I don't even know what the base level sounds like.  I'd like to recreate the soundstage Danny speaks of, but I have to walk out the steps.

When I started in audio years ago we had it easy phono, tape, tuner.  Now I'm trying to sort out DAC's, chip amps, tube amps, hybrids, good grief!

For now, power is provided from mid 80's Yamaha M45 amp, C65 Control amp.
Originally, I was into the vintage vibe so these are driving a set of refurbished Bose 501's. 
Sorce is a Dayton Audio blutooth receiver fed to the Tuner RCA connection.  I play high bit rate MP3 or ACC files from phone or PC.

I expect the X-LS even is base form, to be a considerable upgrade.  I'm sure there are gains to be found in source material but all the digital variables are confusing.

I'm excited to finish them out and fire them up.

From there who knows?  I've got compression codex, streaming services, receivers, DAC's and all this other stuff to sort out.

Then there's the OB stuff, and servo subs, and.......

The journey begins.....

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2022, 08:50 pm »
You are correct, the X-LS will be a considerable upgrade.  Speakers are by far the largest influence on the sound you get.  Try to get them a few feet away from the front wall and any side walls and you will really hear what they can do. 

Kaiju2189

Re: Introduction
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2022, 09:11 pm »
Enjoy the journey. DIY is a ton of fun and great value. Plus you know how to mod gear since you built it and can decide how far you want to take different components.

I have upgraded a couple of speakers in the past and the difference in sound was  very noticeable. Granted the parts quality was not as good as even a base level Encore.

I am in the middle of building a pair of Encores as well. Also starting with bass parts and tube connectors. It’s for a second system. I’m sure it will only take a month or so and I will feel the need to tweak them out.