Hello from Georgia

SoundMind

Hello from Georgia
« on: 8 Aug 2022, 11:33 am »
Hi everyone, my name is Gil. I’m 65 years old and I’ve always been interested in Hi-Fi. After high school, I went to trade school to study electronics and later computers. My second job was at World Hi-fi where I did everything from selling stereos and setting up turntables to setting the SWR on CB radios in the parking lot. The first stereo I bought before the job at World Hi-Fi was a Nakamichi 620 amp, 630 pre-amp, and 600 cassette deck in a rack, a Revox B77 Reel to Reel, and Bose 601 speakers. After working a few months at World Hi-Fi I bought the JBL L212 speakers, a Dual CS-721 turntable, and a Crown IC-150 amp and pre-amp.

Soon after, I got married and started a job as a UPS driver. And even though I’ve built a Bottlehead Foreplay pre-amp and a Nelson Pass Camp Amp, the stereo took a back seat as we raised a family. I retired from UPS 10 years ago, kids are out of the house, and I’m ready to buy. I’ve been reading a lot but there always seems to be something better right around the corner. I’ve come here to learn a little more before I take the plunge.

Blackmore

Re: Hello from Georgia
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2022, 02:40 pm »
Hi Gil, welcome to AudioCircle

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2022, 03:02 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Gil   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2022, 03:12 pm »
Welcome to AC!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2022, 07:31 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2022, 08:43 pm »
Hi Gil and welcome.
I am also in GA.
Since you're looking for different ideas on what to consider for your rig, perhaps you might wish to hear mine: OB high-sensitivity speakers driven by low-watt amp.
It's good to hear different types of rigs to help you better decide what you like.
Let me know if you're interested.
Regards,
Dan

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2022, 12:08 pm »
Welcome Gil.

Here's another viewpoint:  Active monitors (2-ways with one amp per driver).  They're what the studio professionals use that make your recordings.  They're small, dynamic, and highly accurate.  Check out Sound-on-Sound for reviews and Buchardt for the A500 that has every feature you could want (just add one or more sources). 

Please don't ignore the importance of a decent room (avoid small, squarish, and uninsulated). 

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2022, 03:47 pm »
It's good to welcome a fellow Georgian, Gil

Charlie in Savannah here, where you located?   

SoundMind

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2022, 11:32 pm »

Hi Gil and welcome.
I am also in GA.
Since you're looking for different ideas on what to consider for your rig, perhaps you might wish to hear mine: OB high-sensitivity speakers driven by low-watt amp.
It's good to hear different types of rigs to help you better decide what you like.
Let me know if you're interested.
Regards,
Dan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan, you have a very impressive system and I would definitely like to hear it. I hope you're close enough where we could make this happen.
I've read and watched reviews of the Pure Audio Project, Spatial Audio, GR Research, and a few other retail and DIY OB speakers. The only
home horn speakers I've listened to have been the Klipsch Klipschorn and the Altec Model 19, both were powered by solid-state amps.

My wife retires in a year so we'll be selling and buying a house that meets our wants a little better than this one. Right now we live up I-75,
halfway between Atlanta and Chattanooga.

Sincerely,
Gil

SoundMind

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2022, 12:41 am »
Welcome, Gil.

Here's another viewpoint:  Active monitors (2-ways with one amp per driver).  They're what the studio professionals use that make your recordings.  They're small, dynamic, and highly accurate.  Check out Sound-on-Sound for reviews and Buchardt for the A500 that has every feature you could want (just add one or more sources). 

Please don't ignore the importance of a decent room (avoid small, squarish, and uninsulated).

JLM, active monitors were definitely off my radar. Many years ago I was delivering to a house, as I was walking up to the door I could hear
a guitar playing. The front door was open but the screen door was shut. As the guy opened the screen door I realized what I was hearing was
his small monitor speakers. I was 100% fooled, it sounded as real as any guitar I've heard.

The A500's do have everything, amp, DAC, DSP room correction, a very good warranty and they give you a 45-day return policy for only $100.
I've read and watched several reviews of the A500 by Darko Audio, Zero Fidelity, A British Audiophile, and Jay's iyagi, along with a few written
reviews. Everyone loves them and the very few negatives would be easy to live with. I know my wife would go for the smaller size speakers
with fewer components and cables. I'm hoping the new house includes an audio room. 

I agree 100% with you on the room. More speakers have been ruined with bad rooms than with amps, pre-amps, and sources.

SoundMind

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2022, 12:48 am »
It's good to welcome a fellow Georgian, Gil

Charlie in Savannah here, where are you located?

I'm up here in Cartersville.

Jazzman53

« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2022, 12:37 pm »
I'm up here in Cartersville.

You mentioned your interest in DIY OB speakers.  Well, if you ever visit Savannah, you have an open invitation to drop by and hear my homebuilt hybrid ESL's with OB bass.   
BTW, I have an extensive DIY speaker website.  My latest design is ridiculously labor-intensive to build but the sound is out of this world:  http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/

quattroman

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2022, 02:19 pm »
Hey Jazzman checked out your site very cool. I have really liked the few electrostatic speakers I have heard.
I am up in Charleston and like to visit Savannah now and again. My girlfriend does not get it, I Could imagine if I brought a set of those home  :lol:

SoundMind

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2022, 07:13 pm »
You mentioned your interest in DIY OB speakers.  Well, if you ever visit Savannah, you have an open invitation to drop by and hear my homebuilt hybrid ESL's with OB bass.   
BTW, I have an extensive DIY speaker website.  My latest design is ridiculously labor-intensive to build but the sound is out of this world:  http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/

Yes, I've always been a DIY type of guy. I believe that they are a lot of great designs in both amps and speakers if do the research and have the
time and skill to build them. Your speakers are beautiful. I listened to your speakers on Vimeo and they sound open and very musical. Your site
is full of good information and step-by-step instructions.

I grew up a fan of Bob Carver. I have a 30-year-old Carver Model M- 4.0t, it has been several years since it has been plugged in. The last time I
listened to it, it didn't sound very musical probably due to some capacitors going bad. Back in the mid 80's he really turned the Audio community
on its head with his Stereophile Magazine Challenge amp test. I wonder how his Magnetic Field power amps compare to today's amps.

Chriscorv58

« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2022, 08:42 pm »
Hi Gil, welcome to Audio Circle!

Jazzman53

« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2022, 11:42 pm »
Hey Jazzman checked out your site very cool. I have really liked the few electrostatic speakers I have heard.
I am up in Charleston and like to visit Savannah now and again. My girlfriend does not get it, I Could imagine if I brought a set of those home  :lol:

Hi Quattroman,

I'll tell you a little secret about speaker builders:  We love showing them off!   

You now have an open invitation to drop in for a listen anytime you're in Savannah.  I'm right across the river in Port Wentworth.  I will PM you my address & phone. 

Have a great day!

Jazzman53

« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2022, 12:00 am »
Yes, I've always been a DIY type of guy. I believe that they are a lot of great designs in both amps and speakers if do the research and have the
time and skill to build them. Your speakers are beautiful. I listened to your speakers on Vimeo and they sound open and very musical. Your site
is full of good information and step-by-step instructions.

I grew up a fan of Bob Carver. I have a 30-year-old Carver Model M- 4.0t, it has been several years since it has been plugged in. The last time I
listened to it, it didn't sound very musical probably due to some capacitors going bad. Back in the mid 80's he really turned the Audio community
on its head with his Stereophile Magazine Challenge amp test. I wonder how his Magnetic Field power amps compare to today's amps.

Hey, I'm a Carver owner and a big fan too.  The old Carver gear punched above its weight class for sure.
BTW, if you want to recap that M4.0t you can download the service manual and parts list on the Carversite forum. 

I'll be attending the annual CarverFest retreat in Bryson City, NC next month, as I do every year, and Bob will be there as usual.  He's getting up in age but still an active designer and enthusiastic as ever. 

The company previously licensed to build Bob's gear (Glass Audio) is now defunct, but Bob is now 100% owner of a brand new Carver Audio company and his manufacturing guys are former aerospace engineers.  The new gear is all tubes with aerospace quality construction in milled/anodized aluminum chassis.  Performance,  quality aesthetics are the best yet--- very sexy stuff!   Below is the new Carver V12 preamp:

« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2022, 03:23 pm by Jazzman53 »