Benchmark LA4 & AHB2 with Salk BEATS

artofaudio

Benchmark LA4 & AHB2 with Salk BEATS
« on: 19 Jul 2022, 03:42 am »
Has anyone tried a Benchmark LA4 pre-amp & AHB2 amplifier with Salk BEATS, especially running the AHB2’s in mono mode?  I’m thinking to trying this out to see how it stacks up agains what I have. 

JDoyle

Re: Benchmark LA4 & AHB2 with Salk BEATS
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2022, 12:41 am »
I run that setup with a DAC3 and a single amp for my Encore’s and am quite happy with it. Don’t feel the need to change it, although maybe I’d try the McGary tube amp Jim raved about someday.

Rich Carlson

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2022, 10:57 am »
I use a single AHB2 with the LA4 and a DAC3L, into Silk Monitors.  It's a great setup, and I hear no flaws.  I've been curious about adding a second AHB2, but not enough to spend the $$$

robink

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2022, 06:23 pm »
I use DAC3 directly into an AHB2 to power my HT2-TL.  I can only say it sounds amazing. I flirted with the idea of getting a second amp, but the one provides enough power for my listening levels. I almost never see the red light blink on the amp unless I am intentional push beyond my normal listening levels.

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2022, 06:40 pm »
I have another question for anyone using an AHB2-Salk combo. Is anyone using a Speakon to banana cable to hook up the speakers? Is there any advantage over regular banana to banana cables with this amp?

artofaudio

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2022, 08:47 pm »
@PSB Guy,

That’s a great question.  I plan to us the Speakon cable/connectors for my mains and the Channel 2 Speaker Binding Posts for my Salk/Rythmik sub (still in build phase). Benchmark said using this configuration should give me the best results.  The Benchmark cables are inexpensive so that would be a win! 

Thanks everyone for replying.  I hope I like the sound since I’m used to a warmer presentation of the Cary si3002d integrated.  Since I only stream music, I’m having a hard time paying 2500 bucks for a tone control.  Maybe I will compare it with a software tone control. 

newzooreview

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2022, 09:08 pm »
I have another question for anyone using an AHB2-Salk combo. Is anyone using a Speakon to banana cable to hook up the speakers? Is there any advantage over regular banana to banana cables with this amp?

Yes, I always used the Speakon connectors because Benchmark prefers them and they have a more direct connection internally. If you look inside the AHB2, the regular 5-way connectors have slip-on (not soldered) wires running to the output section while the Speakon connectors are hard wired via a five times shorter path.

I even had a pair of Zu audio cables made up with the Speakon connectors because the AHB2 Speakon output is the better signal path.

Both are for sale here in the Trading Post.

Rich Carlson

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2022, 10:08 am »

Yes, that's what I use.  I like the very solid and secure connection, and the Benchmark bananas are the best ones I've used.  I've also been impressed by how good the Benchmark cables sound compared to my Analysis Plus, Kimber, and DH Labs cables.

artofaudio

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2022, 03:01 pm »
I go back and for the between Bluejeans cable and NRG Custom cable.  I will try the Benchmark cables for sure when I buy the AHB2

PSB Guy

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2022, 06:55 pm »
I go back and for the between Bluejeans cable and NRG Custom cable.  I will try the Benchmark cables for sure when I buy the AHB2
That Benchmark cable looks to be made with Canare 4S11 cable stock and the same locking bananas that Blue Jeans uses. I use the same cable now, only with locking bananas on both ends. It's great speaker cable.
I do wonder why Blue Jeans doesn't offer Speakons as a termination choice?

Cornelis