Why do soundbars sound so shite?
« on: 9 Jun 2022, 03:27 pm »
And why don't people admit this?

Emporer's new clothes or what?

Over to debate.

djpk

Re: Why do soundbars sound so shite?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2022, 03:48 pm »
I have three ZVOX sound bases and I think they are great. The latest generation of the ZVOX units are particularly good. I have no interest in a full home theater speaker system because I am satisfied with my ZVOXs.

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2022, 04:00 pm »
why is it a mystery - even with a rudimentary understanding of how speakers make sound, how sound propogates in a room, why is it at all surprising?????  :roll: :duh:

Digi-G

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2022, 04:01 pm »
My main system is set up in my family room.  It doubles as my music system and HT system, complete with surround speakers, center channel and sub.  Yes, a sound bar is lesser.  Much lesser in my case.

BUT, for people who don't have a surround system (many/most people just don't care) a sound bar is a significant step up from TV speakers.  And considerably cheaper and less complicated than the full monty.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2022, 04:10 pm »
A few years back I gave my daughter and son in law a basic surround system with a Dennis Murphy modded Pioneer speaker system.  A year of so later they gave it back and put in a sound bar.  Obviously the improved sound wasn't worth the space or effort.   :dunno:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2022, 04:12 pm »
Theory Audio Design has been getting good press lately for their soundbars. Founded by speaker legend Paul Hales.

https://www.theoryaudiodesign.com/soundbars-1

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2022, 04:33 pm »
Devialet makes a sound bar called Dione that is getting rave reviews. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2022, 05:00 pm »
I’ll go out on a limb and say that MOST decently designed sound bars sound SIGNIFICANTLY better than the speakers that are built into TV’s. By a long shot.

And they pass the “WAF” (yes, I know. Outdated term, but easily understood), much easier than a full blown multi-channel speaker system that can completely overwhelm a room.

Thank goodness, my wife indulges me and I have a room that is completely overwhelmed by Speakers & Subs.  :thumb:

Samac

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2022, 05:03 pm »
Hmm, I’ve found many sound great. My Sonos Playbase is excellent for movies and music.

Cheers,

Scott

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2022, 07:08 pm »
We use a soundbar in the basement, as it was much easier than buying all the equipment for 5+ channels.  It's okay.  Relative to a real 5 channel system, it sucks, but it gets the job done. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2022, 07:10 pm »
Hmm, I’ve found many sound great. My Sonos Playbase is excellent for movies and music.

Cheers,

Scott
You obviously chose it over many other surround sound options, because they aren't inexpensive. 
$800 buys a lot of basic 5.1 surround sets.  Polk comes to mind. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2022, 08:04 pm »
Sound bars sound nice for móvies and some hip hop "music" and ever perfect tô action films, but some people are adicted in sound blast every minute.

in the past when there were  TV in my home I always prefered mono sound tô TV.

mrhyfy

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2022, 10:52 pm »
We use a soundbar in the basement, as it was much easier than buying all the equipment for 5+ channels.  It's okay.  Relative to a real 5 channel system, it sucks, but it gets the job done.

Well said. Generally sound bars are a huge improvement over "TV sound" and they are reliable for the non-audiophile user.
I got rid of my 7.1 setup and life has been so much easier.  No more, "there's no sound"!

mcgsxr

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2022, 01:38 pm »
For my family main floor 3.1 setup I run a passive soundbar.  An older Def Tech piece.  It does just fine with a Jamo sub for news, general TV, sports etc.

I leave the 5.1 setup for the basement.

The soundbar is OK, and that is exactly what I was looking for - visually not distracting, sounds better than just the TV, hangs on the mounted TV nicely, and simple to use. 

But it is in no way as satisfying as my 2 channel or 5.1 setups.  Knew that going in.

ctviggen

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2022, 05:18 pm »
I think soundbars can still have issues.  For instance, I needed to have a computer, amazon stick and game machine...but only one HDMI input.  So I had to buy an HDMI switcher, then a remote to control everything  And this one has Alexa, which is great and not so great. Sometimes if you're watching something and you're using Alexa, it loses synch.  Then it gets complex, as I'm using this for a projector.

A receiver would be better most likely, as then you already have a lot of inputs.  But then trying to route wires for 5+ speakers in an unfinished basement can be a pain. 

ratso

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2022, 03:32 pm »
in general I absolutely agree with your premise that soundbars are terrible. BUT at AXPONA, we heard the demo for the new devialet atmos one, and I have to tell you... it was outstanding. far better than I could have imagined. and yes, a completely realistic atmos effect.

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2022, 12:28 pm »
Long, skinny, low volume cabinets with limited frequency range drivers crammed under a large TV tend not to sound well. It's a difficult shortcoming to overcome.

richidoo

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun 2022, 04:18 pm »
Funny title  :thumb:

Any half decent soundbar will usually sound better than the internal TV speakers, and for most non-audiophiles that is enough.
Some people just want the appearance of tech savvy + conformity with decorating norms.
Of course there are high end soundbars that sound excellent. $
Like every other aspect of this hobby, looks and price are the only obstacles.