The Mechanic- Streamed

Mag

The Mechanic- Streamed
« on: 7 Mar 2022, 03:23 pm »
   Having a subscription to MGM on Amazon Prime I noticed the movie The Mechanic was recently released for viewing. So last night I watched it with the purpose of comparing the Streamed version to my memory of watching my dvd version upscaled to 1080p on my Sony NS9100ES dvd player comparing it to the Streamed version using the Geforce GTX 1660 Super graphics card viewed on my 4k TV.

Assuming my memory recall is correct my Sony NS9100ES presented a slightly better picture upscaled. The difference wasn't huge as the Streamed version displayed similar detail in the opening assassination scene of the hotel room where Bronson scouts out the man in the building across the street. As I recall the Streamed version although it had similar detail was not as sharp in displaying brick detail and the wood framing of the window.

So there you have it, the hard copy with appropriate upscaling has actually a better picture at 1080p than Streamed version at 4k, IMO. :smoke:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: The Mechanic- Streamed
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2022, 03:49 pm »
I've seen this several times before where a " " lesser quality hardcopy is better than 4K streamed. The big difference lies in the audio tracks though. Most streaming will compress the living crap out of a movie audio tracks, where the DVD will be for superior. If downloading them (legally or illegally we won't discuss) I always choose the huge 20+GB BR versions because they will be unaltered audio tracks where the 3-10GB web stream versions will have crap compressed lossy audio.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: The Mechanic- Streamed
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2022, 04:14 pm »
I've seen this several times before where a " " lesser quality hardcopy is better than 4K streamed. The big difference lies in the audio tracks though. Most streaming will compress the living crap out of a movie audio tracks, where the DVD will be for superior. If downloading them (legally or illegally we won't discuss) I always choose the huge 20+GB BR versions because they will be unaltered audio tracks where the 3-10GB web stream versions will have crap compressed lossy audio.

Well said!

When ripping UHD movies, they usually are 40-80GB in size!

Also, the bit rate is substantially higher.

For example, yesterday I watched Mad Max Fury Road...the UHD (4k) version is over 43GB in size with a bitrate of 48Mbps, while the Blu-ray is 22GB in size, with a bitrate of 25Mbps.

We you talk streaming from most of the services, the difference is even greater!

All of that said...you still can get some good looking and sounding titles...they just aren't as good as the UHD disc or a proper ripping of it.

George