Cable Modem diagnosing

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Cable Modem diagnosing
« on: 21 Dec 2021, 02:29 am »
I have recently had intermittent internet service. I think I narrowed it down to my cable modem, speed test showed 20 Mbs download and 6 Mbs upload, the Docsis 3.0 cable modem was rated at 120 Mbs down and 10 Mbs up. My neighbors weren't having problems with the same service provider.

Most of my listening is background music streamed from internet stations. Critical listening is flac files from my music server, what I've predominantly done recently.

I replaced the modem with a new Docsis 3.1 modem, upgraded my legacy cable plan with a new plan able to support the new modem. Unfortunately, my internet still drops out, although maybe not as frequently.

Any suggestions for further checking to resolve this problem?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Cable Modem diagnosing
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2021, 02:45 am »
I'm having the same situation with my Linksys router as well. Speed tests will show 4mb down and 16 up (my Comcast plan is 600 down, 15 up). After a restart to the router, it will go back to full speed. It's intermittent enough to where it's only a mild annoyance right now, but soon enough I'll be going full Office Space on this thing if it doesn't fix itself with an update soon. I've seen it before where the manufacturer will push an update that'll seriously go glitchy only to push another one 2 weeks later that "fix the problem". Seems to only be an issue with internet traffic, not in any of the data transferring between my network. If anyone else has some ideas to a real solution, hopefully they chime in.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2021, 03:14 am »
Two cable modems, same problem, sounds to me like not a cable modem issue. Do you have a wifi router in the picture or is your machine hard wired to the cable modem. If you have a wifi router the isssue might be with the wifi router. If you are using a wifi router make sure it has the latest firmware.

It could also be a physical connection issue. Tighten all connections between you and the pole or box outside that you can get to. If you have any splitters in the system the splitter might be going bad. If have a distribution amp that could be the problem as well.

This link might be helpful for troubleshooting.

https://www.howtogeek.com/240575/how-to-read-your-cable-modems-diagnostic-page-when-something-goes-wrong/

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2021, 04:09 am »
Can tech support do a remote diagnostic on the line? I have Century Link 80 Mbps DSL and when I log in to my account online I have a few diagnostic options so I don't have to call tech support.
Calling tech support is pretty fast, in my experience intermittent or slow connections are usually line related. Once I had to let them know a modem in their server room was bad because I knew my modem was good and the line was solid so the only option remaining was at their end.