new STA-9X (MSRP $1195)

AllanS

Re: new STA-9X (MSRP $1195)
« Reply #40 on: 23 Dec 2022, 02:41 am »
STA-9X is priced too low for its performance. Even though it shares the almost the same model number as STA-9, you can tell from the circuit board that these are two very different designs.
I do appreciate that the site provides a view under the hood. I have little clue what I’m looking at most of the time but I still like to see.

HFfans

« Reply #41 on: 27 Jan 2023, 02:33 am »
I think you are looking for the amp with the largest current. That will be AMG STA.
Power = Current x Voltage
An amp could have more power than another but with less current.  AMG STA was specifically designed to deliver a very large current (10A is huge) even though ST-10 has slightly more power than AMG STA.

I am interested in ST-10 and STA-9X and am considering to purchase one of them, however I feel hesitatation to choose because although ST-10 cost higher, it was launched few years ago, technology-wise would be not updated as STA-9X ?  I like vocals and classical music, and am using a pair of JMR speakers (91dB sensitivity). 
Somebody told me that using amplifier of higher power output, it would over-damp the speakers, is it true for mine ?

Please let me know more about Nuprime amplifiers for choosing the right one.

rustydoglim

« Reply #42 on: 30 Jan 2023, 07:33 pm »
I am interested in ST-10 and STA-9X and am considering to purchase one of them, however I feel hesitatation to choose because although ST-10 cost higher, it was launched few years ago, technology-wise would be not updated as STA-9X ?  I like vocals and classical music, and am using a pair of JMR speakers (91dB sensitivity).
Somebody told me that using amplifier of higher power output, it would over-damp the speakers, is it true for mine ?

To decide between ST-10 and STA-9X, take a look at https://nuprimeaudio.com/guides/amp-comparison/
The amps won't over-damp your speaker, this has never been an issue with Nuprime amps.  You can see from the comparison table that STA-9X and ST-10 are at the same level with regards to bass, high freq, sound stage.
ST-10 is more neutral and more power than STA-9X. STA-9X has better resolution than ST-10 and is warmer.
Since you have a high efficiency speaker and prefer vocals, you should go with STA-9X.

HFfans

« Reply #43 on: 31 Jan 2023, 09:13 am »
 Thanks so much for your advice !
If so I would consider AMG STA, which should be a better choice for me.   :thumb: