SVS Ultra Bookshelf is on Danny's table! Upgrade soon? !

AverageNiceGuy

Woohoo!
Danny put an SVS Ultra Bookshelf on his upgrade table!
https://youtu.be/Y3SRBFZx7Yc

The SVS Ultra Bookshelves were my first decent speakers.
Then I got and upgraded the Carnegie CST-1's that he offered.
Now the SVS Ultra's are second-best.
I am excited that he may soon offer an upgrade kit for the SVS Ultra Bookshelves!
 :popcorn:

Joey B.

Re: SVS Ultra Bookshelf is on Danny's table! Upgrade soon? !
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2021, 05:35 am »
I am shocked they have that Huangtai cheap yellow colored caps in there .
Nice bracing and driver though . But, almost all to waste because of those caps.

AverageNiceGuy

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2021, 02:08 pm »
Upgrade has been ordered!
Wooohooo!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2021, 03:07 pm »
Awesome! Looking forward to your thoughts on the upgrades!  :thumb:

AverageNiceGuy

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2021, 03:31 pm »
Will do,
I expect this upgrade to be much less painful than the Carnegie CST - 1's.
It's painful to push a human arm through a labyrinth.
 :duh:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2021, 03:39 pm »
Will do,

Having done that with an XStatik to harvest the insulation, i feel your pain.. I ended up having to remove a woofer to make it possible for the top sections  :lol:

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2021, 05:00 pm »
I ordered the Ultra bookshelf upgrade too!  Currently completing the Ultra center channel upgrade.

lincolnmat

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2021, 05:55 pm »
Will do,

There was one piece of NoRez that Danny recommended that I just never was able to get in due to the labyrinth of braces.

77SunsetStrip

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2021, 06:18 pm »
Amir over at ASR measured the SVS Ultra Bookshelf a while back.  FR graph pretty much the same as Danny found.  Amir did not like them even after EQ.  Similar listening impression as Danny.  Dennis Murphy measured, FR graph looks pretty much the same.  Dennis modified a pair, now for sale, correcting the same issues Danny fixed.  Dennis is thinking about putting his mods in the public domain.  Will be interesting to see what those mods turn out to be.  Would also be interesting to blind A-B test the mods by Danny and Dennis.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2021, 07:22 pm »
Amir over at ASR measured the SVS Ultra Bookshelf a while back.  FR graph pretty much the same as Danny found.  Amir did not like them even after EQ.  Similar listening impression as Danny.  Dennis Murphy measured, FR graph looks pretty much the same.  Dennis modified a pair, now for sale, correcting the same issues Danny fixed.  Dennis is thinking about putting his mods in the public domain.  Will be interesting to see what those mods turn out to be.  Would also be interesting to blind A-B test the mods by Danny and Dennis.

Going by what Ron at NRD recorded with the RP-600M upgrade, you'll get a more balanced sound, along with better clarity & detail with the addition of tube connectors.

Then considering the likely use of aluminum wiring & equally cheap components, theres a lot to be gained, even when going a budget route with mid-grade components, but if you're going in on the upgrades, might was well dive into the highest quality parts you can afford, be it Danny's recommended parts, or your own choices based on Murphy's crossover values.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2021, 01:38 am »
Ron at NRD and Sean at Zero Fidelity both thought well of the Ultra bookshelves.  I have a Parasound Halo A52+ (the speakers do need POWER) driving mine and couldn't be more pleased.  I don't care for Amir at ASR so I discounted his opinion.  I've completed the Center channel upgrade.  I like the upgraded parts and full copper wire used to tie all the parts from the source to the drivers.  Why not?  I use Bluejeans (12 gauge) copper speaker cable from my amplifier to the speakers

I've owned these speakers for about five years.  Best I could afford at the time and I still enjoy them today.  I may or may not "hear" a difference after the upgrade.  I don't know yet.  But, emotionally, I will know they have the best electronics and wiring available.  That will make me feel great!  Would I buy the same speakers today?  Probably not.  This is what I have and upgrading them is the right move for me.

Marcus
Las Vegas, NV

77SunsetStrip

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2021, 02:57 pm »
In my opinion Amir, Danny, and Dennis Murphy came up with very similar on axis Frequency Response graphs.  Digging deeper into off axis I think revealed potential for improvement.  In the end, set up in your listening room will have the largest impact on listening.  I do agree that upgrading to quality crossover components, wire, and terminals provide confidence those items will provide the best signal purity.

Being a DIY guy and inspired by Danny, upgraded my speakers.  Made a couple mistakes along the way trying tweaks to the crossover design.  Listening and measurement confirmation put me back on the right track.  The end result was clearer, cleaner, more dynamic, and better imaging from speakers had been happy with for quite a long time. 

AverageNiceGuy

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2021, 10:56 pm »
Thank you for the information gentleman. I know this little upgrade will not make these sound like $300,000 speakers, but at least it will be fun 🛠️

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2021, 11:27 pm »
FYI...  Danny emailed me yesterday that he is not sending out the bookshelf upgrade yet as he is waiting on delivery of tube connectors.

Marcus

Bradlose

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2021, 11:10 pm »
Got mine ordered!!!!

AverageNiceGuy

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2021, 11:13 pm »
FYI...  Danny emailed me yesterday that he is not sending out the bookshelf upgrade yet as he is waiting on delivery of tube connectors.
Marcus
Thanks for the info 👍

Stevenich

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2021, 01:54 am »
Woohoo!
Danny put an SVS Ultra Bookshelf on his upgrade table!
https://youtu.be/Y3SRBFZx7Yc

The SVS Ultra Bookshelves were my first decent speakers.
Then I got and upgraded the Carnegie CST-1's that he offered.
Now the SVS Ultra's are second-best.
I am excited that he may soon offer an upgrade kit for the SVS Ultra Bookshelves!
 :popcorn:

I enjoyed his comments on the SVS upgrade. I am ordering the update as well.

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 5 Feb 2021, 09:29 pm »
I think you guys are going to be pleasantly surprised with this upgrade.

And as upgrades and upgrades offered, there is a little more to it than just balancing the on axis response. The quality of the parts that come with this upgrade are what really take them to another level.

All of these kits ordered are already boxed up and awaiting more tube connectors to arrive. Hang in there with me guys. I can't get these things made fast enough. But I am having a LOT of them made. I'll have 10,000 units made before the end of the year.

AverageNiceGuy

« Reply #18 on: 5 Feb 2021, 10:04 pm »
 8)

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2021, 09:16 pm »
Whew!  10,000 upgrade units made by the end of the year.  But, I suspect SVS has sold a lot of the Ultra bookshelf speakers.  Let's hope the tube connectors come in next week as expected.  I'm anxious to get the upgrade completed and playing music.

Marcus