Questions about the 1801C

fred

Questions about the 1801C
« on: 25 Aug 2007, 04:35 pm »
1. Will the 1801C use the same cabinet design and dimensions as the 1801b?
2. Are you planning to have a prototype at the Rocky Mountain show in October?

fajimr

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Re: Questions about the 1801C
« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2007, 09:17 am »
1. Will the 1801C use the same cabinet design and dimensions as the 1801b?

I... am not completely certain yet.  I have a couple thoughts.

1.  I need to get this done fast.
2.  I have spent time with Martin King's MATHCAD worksheets this past week.   Some of this looks appealing, but the ideal cabinets are friggin huge.  Doing this correctly will result is a profoundly big and heavy cabinet.  There are also several possibly viable configurations.  Experimenting with all of them in the very near future won't be possible.  I don't have time to accomplish all of this before the show in October.  There might be something special in this information. 

However, for now, the cabinet configuration present at RMAF will be a floorstanding version of the 1801C.

For the distant future, I would like to experiment with some of Martin King's models and listen to them in the 1801C.  They look decent on paper, but I remain skeptical.   I have been less than impressed with the few Transmission Line speakers I have auditioned.  I also notice there are profoundly few commercial designs using a transmission line configuration.  I believe there is some truth in this last piece of information.  If cost weren't a consideration it would seem logical that the very best speakers would all use some type of transmission line - right??

Dave

pardales

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2008, 01:12 pm »
Any information coming about the 1801C. Pics? etc.

BrianM

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2008, 02:03 pm »
And: what changes if any have been made to the enclosure.

David Ellis

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2008, 02:42 pm »
And: what changes if any have been made to the enclosure.

Generally, none.  It will work just dandy in the same enclosure. 

However, the very last experiment I want to accomplish is to see whether it sounds better in the stand-mounted enclosure with a 1 1/2" roundover.  I should have been finished with this about 1 week ago  :oops: .

Dave

David Ellis

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2008, 02:44 pm »
Any information coming about the 1801C. Pics? etc. 

The appearance will be VERY similar to the 1801B.

The objective information will be extremely similar too. The only significant difference is the 1801C will be about 2db more sensitive and have slightly less bass extension - perhaps 43hz f3.

Dave

BrianM

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2008, 03:02 pm »
 :smoke:

hubert

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2008, 08:39 pm »
Quote from: dave
The only significant difference is the 1801C will be about 2db more sensitive and have slightly less bass extension - perhaps 43hz f3.
Far not a significant issue, quality of the bass range and up IS indeed the main issue. :wink: