Best Buy

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Best Buy
« on: 27 May 2021, 10:37 am »
I'm pretty far out in the country and it's an hour to get to anywhere.  We have WalMart and a Kohl's here, but that's about it for department store shopping.  So when I went into the big shopping areas for an eye exam I took a chance to stop at Best Buy to look at the bargain audio stuff.  I walked around the store and couldn't find the audio section.  Where is the wall of receivers and bookshelf speakers?   When I asked I was directed to a short aisle with a couple of shelves holding three receivers and a couple computer speakers with something in a box, I think it was a Sony floor stander.  The kid got pissed when I said that's it?  Is it like this at BB in your area?  Now it's been decades since I bought anything audio at Best Buy, but I remember walls of infinity, Klipsch, Polk, speakers and racks of receivers.  They actually had a better selection of turntables than anything else.  So BB is no longer the C&C go to B&M?

Phil A

Re: Best Buy
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2021, 11:42 am »
In bigger markets, I believe Best Buy has a complete Magnolia audio section with a decent selection - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/store-locator?storeServices=magnolia-home-theater,magnolia-design-center   They have somewhat smaller Magnolia section in the Best Buy closest to me vs. a really big market but they still have some things.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2021, 12:21 pm »
And there a multiple levels of Magnolia 'stores' at BB. The deluxe Magnolia I went to had McIntosh, B&W 800 Diamond Series, and KEF blades as well as high end projectors.

NoDisco

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2021, 03:00 pm »
Bought some Vienna Acoustics and two REL subs on deep discounts there.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2021, 04:34 pm »
The BB in my town is a high end Magnolia selling top of the line Mac, KEF, Martin Logan, B&W, SVS, REL and several others.  They can also order just about anything.  They have a great return policy if you don't like the gear and you can even set up an appointment to bring in your electronic gear to try with speakers.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2021, 05:17 pm »
There are 4 stores an hour to 1.5 hrs hours away from me in each direction.
2 are as you describe, the other 2 are Magnolia stores, but they have very limited stock on hand.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2021, 05:55 pm »
Thanks to everyone for responding.  And the responses are as different as what each store carries, apperantly.  I wasn't looking for anything specific, I actually when to that end of the mall for the Barnes and Noble, but thought I might see if that Sony SS CS5 giant killer was on display.   Oh well, I caught the bad one.  Nothing looked good in there, the appliances, TVs, everything looked crappy.  The area is a formerly premier shopping destination spot that has fallen on hard times.  The giant mall and all the sundry strip malls are still there and full of open stores, but I wonder how long that will last.

fredgarvin

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2021, 03:50 pm »
The store nearest me is a mere shadow of what it once was. The electronics room is gone and appliances cover half of the floor space. There is a tiny 10 ft shelf where they have a pair of Klipsch econo towers and some other uninteresting pair, maybe cheaper Polks. A few cheap receivers.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2021, 09:20 pm »
Yup, the very description of the one I was in.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2021, 10:04 pm »
I live in the Twin Cities the home of Best Buy.  It seems that in the wealthier area's of town is where the Magnolia stores are located and the other area's have regular BB's.  Makes sense, no?  In my suburb of Woodbury, the BB and Magnolia carry top of the line stuff and the store is well kept and has been updated to a modern, clean look.  The median household income in Woodbury is $102,000.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2021, 06:16 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »

Phil_S

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2021, 01:00 pm »
It's all about the earn/turn ratio.  They tailor each store's offerings based on this ratio.  Smaller markets can't support high end stuff as it doesn't move quickly enough.  It's not about serving the customer but managing the bottom line.

hifitommy

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2021, 07:36 pm »
you may do better by ordering from BB online.  that doesn't allow for actually hearing the product prior to purchase but their return policy is generous.  you may be able to order online and return in-store if the component doesn't please you. 

for the budget speakers, the Pioneer series designed by Andrew Jones is excellent for the money.  i had a pair of the BS22 monitors and they were way better than they should be for the price.  a friend bought the equivalent tower after i recommended the BS22s.  they make a whole line of speakers to fill out the HT reqirements including center and sub.  good way to go. 

electronics like yamaha and sony will be adequate until you realize that separates may be a better idea.  another safe bet is the Fluance line of products online.  check them out too.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2021, 01:43 pm »
I didn't want to neccisarily buy anything, I wanted to hear the new Sony bookshelf with all the buzz.  You used to be able to do that at any BB whether they had a magnolia section or not.  I can buy anything I want to on Amazon or a zillion other outlets, I can listen to many different high end models at Butch's Sound Shack, but for cheap components I'll have to find a BB with magnolia displays.  Not undoable at all, if I feel like it I'll find one, I was just shocked at how much BB has changed their audio marketing.  Another typical old man rant about things changing.

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2021, 05:33 pm »
I used to work at a well-known electronics chain and once suggested Best Buy as a source for something we didn't have. His response was, "I'd rather have rectal surgery than shop at Best Buy."

twitch54

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2021, 06:31 pm »
Yep, standard Best Buy has little to anything worth mentioning. Magnolia stores I have found to be much better but still nothing like a top flight 'brick & mortar' store

JakeJ

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2021, 06:48 pm »
Yup, the very description of the one I was in.

I feel your pain, brother.  I live in SE Washington and the last B&M audio store left before the pandemic started and the local BB has never had anything other than a few obligatory home theater items (think HT-in-a-Box).  I have to go to Seattle or Portland to find any B&M with audio stuffs of any interest.

hifitommy

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2021, 08:47 pm »
when brick and mortar stores aren't available, one can buy online, listen to, and then return the item for refund, items that you don't like.  MANY items are available from BB that are not in the store.  the Andrew Jones-designed loudspeakers are fantastic bargains yet you are not obligated to keep them provided you return them in the prescribed time period. 

amazon has similar policies.  yes, i prefer to go hands-on, this is one way to go hands-on.  the other option is to travel to the audio stores or attend an audio show like Axpona in Chicago or whatever is closer and preferable to you.

Vince in TX

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2021, 09:52 pm »
My experience with Best Buy's Magnolia Design Center has been touch and go, really.    I started with them on my Home Theater design before I knew this place existed, and I had already ran the speaker wires they recommended before learning they weren't ideal.   They sold me AudioQuest 16/2 whereas I should have ran 14/4.   I'm trying to make the best of it.  I'm just saddened that even though I started the project from scratch (reclaimed attic space) that I now have to make compromises in quality unless I decide to open the walls back up, which I'm not planning to do anytime soon.     :(