Onix xcd 88 problem

django11

• Canuckistani
Onix xcd 88 problem
« on: 28 May 2011, 01:56 pm »
I picked up this unit a few years ago used. It worked one week and then the laser went. I fixed it myself (which was very challenging). It worked one week and then started skipping and hanging again. So I waited two years and had it repaired professionally. At first it skipped occasionally. The repair guy said that this unit was very sensitive and I had to recognize that the discs it skipped on were scratched. Now when I put a disc in the unit displays "disc" and does nothing. By now I am 500$ into this used cd player, it has worked reasonably for 3 times 1 week. I am getting very frustrated. I have a guarantee from the repair guy but still does anyone have any ideas (besides exorcism) ?

gnars

• Industry Participant
Re: Onix xcd 88 problem
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2011, 02:34 am »
Hi, Worked on a # of Onix CD's and they all use the same basic lazor transport by Philips. I found that the spindle motor or cd motor assy is the culprit. The plastic housing/platter the cd sits on get pussed down and the lazor can't focus properly any more.  This is in lew of that you just repaced the lazor it self and not the whole assembly which would include lazor, and spindle motor.

If you just replaced the lazor it's a easy fix. Pm me for more info if needed.

Gary

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2011, 04:35 pm »
FWIW I have a xcd-88, and it plays every disc I put in it....scratched, CDR, etc.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2011, 11:56 pm »
FWIW I have a xcd-88, and it plays every disc I put in it....scratched, CDR, etc.

That is good to know...