a quickie power conditioner

BobM

a quickie power conditioner
« on: 22 Mar 2007, 12:15 pm »
Occam,

I have a leftover Axon 630V 1.5uF polypropylene and tin foil cap lying around (actually 2 of them). I am finally going to be mounting my new Panny plasma on the wall in the living room, and I was considering making a quick power conditioner for it with this bad boy. 1.5uF is a bit high, what do you think? I'm looking for something I can quickly hook up to the basic surge surpressor strip that I am plugging it and the DVD player into.

I know I can simply insert it into a socket, like an Auricap bypass, but I am wondering if I can do something a wee bit more sophisticated (and behind a fuse). Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob

Occam

Re: a quickie power conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2007, 03:26 pm »
Hey Bob,

I've not used the Axon (SCR,Solen?) film and foils. My caution would be that foil caps lack the self healing capabilities of metalized film caps, which are what is typically used in X2 caps. Auricaps and other non X2 caps I've used in this role, have all had metalized film construction, and share this self healing feature. My limited experience with foil caps (a 600v Relcap) used in X, 'across the line', resulted in a loud pop, and smoke.
There are film and foils specifically made for high stress use, IGBT snubber caps with AC ratings >1000vac, but these are quite expensive and I've no experience with them.

FWIW,
Paul

Mike B.

Re: a quickie power conditioner
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2007, 03:55 pm »
I use several cheap tweaks to improve the picture on my LCD. The biggest improvement was a 7 henry inductor across the hot and neutral. I also made up a bunch of plug in filters like you are describing. I put them in a small plastic project box and use the face of a AC plug protruding at a 90 degree angle from the box. They then plug in like a wall wort. I have used the 630 V Axons with no ill effects or failures. A snap on Iron pipe type RF filter on the power cord helps also. You can get one at Radio Shack.