High bias hurts tubes, but what about low bias?

acresm22

High bias hurts tubes, but what about low bias?
« on: 30 Jan 2007, 12:48 am »
Quick question for the SET set out there...

I have an ASL 300B SET amp, and from what I've read the proper bias setting is somewhere between 600-700 mv. Now I know that if you bias the 300Bs higher than that you risk shortening the tube life. But is there a downside to running well under the specified range...said 300-400 mv? Should I hear some degradation in sound, or will that also potentially damage the tubes over time?
Thanks!

A.

JoshK

Re: High bias hurts tubes, but what about low bias?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2007, 02:50 pm »
When you run the tubes at a higher bias than specified for a given load, essentually you are over dissapating the tube which runs down the plate and cathode faster than normal.  There are a number of people who successfully run certain tubes past their rated dissapation but this is territory for experienced tube amp builders with experience and testing equipment for how to do so.  Chinese 300B's apparently need not apply to this role. 

When you run the tubes lower than designed for, you will probably lengthen life of the tubes but you have also changed the operating points and there is no gaurantee that you are running the tubes in their optimal sounding settings, unless you know how to read curves and set your own settings.  In this case though, there isn't an concern really for shortening the life of the tube. 

BobM

Re: High bias hurts tubes, but what about low bias?
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2007, 04:54 pm »
As for a degredation in sound when running a lower bias ... yes, you will hear distortion at bias settings that are very low. If you're talking within 5 points of optimal bias then perhaps not. You can certainly try adjusting bias +/- 5 points of the indicated setting ands see how that affects the sound in your system. This small amount of adjustment either way shouldn't hurt the tube.

Enjoy,
Bob