"Roll off"

robcentola

"Roll off"
« on: 4 Jul 2014, 06:21 pm »
Still a newbie with all this, coupled with my obsession, I just don't know what "Roll-off" is. Can someone describe what this is? Maybe give an example?

Sorry about the lack of knowledge on this , but we all start somewhere, right? Might as well be here!  :thumb:

JohnR

Re: "Roll off"
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2014, 05:47 am »
Hi Rob, any speaker or speaker driver has a nominal pass band or frequency range within which it plays. Above and below this pass band the response "rolls off " I.e. output reduces more or less gradually.

With a crossover it's similar, the crossover point is where the output from each driver is 3 or 6 db down. Below or above that frequency the output continues to reduce or "roll off." The rate at which it reduces it usually called the slope and is expressed in db/octave.

The slope or rate of roll off in either case is important for various reasons. Suffice to say that when someone refers to a crossover frequency or frequency limit that is far from the whole story. Hope that helps, if not please provide some context for your question.

robcentola

Re: "Roll off"
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2014, 11:57 am »
Thank you John!