Skipping the preamp by using the Cherry DAC DAC (and related stuff)

RCduck7

Re: DAC DAC
« Reply #120 on: 3 May 2017, 07:24 pm »
I read the DAC DAC HS review on positive feedback and for part II the TL version will be reviewed. It's a while ago since the HS review. I wonder if the TL review is still going for a green light?
Jseipp on the forum prefered the the TL DAC, it was more vibrant, organic,... But i don't know what equipment he is using. But i like a black background without using a mains conditioner. And while most people prefered the HS DAC at RMAF on day one, i would go for that without a review.
You received more positive reactions on the HS versions it seems.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #121 on: 12 May 2017, 04:58 pm »
I read the DAC DAC HS review on positive feedback and for part II the TL version will be reviewed. It's a while ago since the HS review. I wonder if the TL review is still going for a green light?
Jseipp on the forum prefered the the TL DAC, it was more vibrant, organic,... But i don't know what equipment he is using. But i like a black background without using a mains conditioner. And while most people prefered the HS DAC at RMAF on day one, i would go for that without a review.
You received more positive reactions on the HS versions it seems.
We heard from Jeremy (the reviewer) that the TL review will be out in June.  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #122 on: 12 May 2017, 04:58 pm »
We'll soon be down to 24 hours left....

As rewards, we have amazing deals on:
    - Linear Power Supplies for Maraschino amps (new product)
    - DAC DAC (TL or HS)
    - KING Stereo Maraschino
    - MEGAschino and Classic-to-MEGAschino upgrades (new product)
    - Golden Cherry (top of the line Maraschino) and Golden Cherry Upgrade (for KING Maraschino owners)
    - Maraschino Module Development Kit (new product for OEMs and DIY)
    - USB to SPDIF Converter (new product)
    - Dual 60V 1kW Maraschino power supply upgrade
    - INSIDER White Paper (only $4)
    - In-Line Maraschino ("hanging" Cherry)
    - KING In-Line Maraschino ("hanging" Cherry)

Here's the link again:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/378044010/maraschino-video-series

DON'T MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY !  Thanks for your support.

-Tommy O

jseipp

« Reply #123 on: 13 May 2017, 12:53 am »
Hey RCduck7,

I'm sorry that it's taken me awhile to notice your post and reply.  The equipment I've used the DAC DACs with are a pair of inline Maraschinos with the 30V power supplies on a pair of GR Research Wedgies, and with the 60V supplies on a pair of Legacy Classics.

I suspect that I am a little odd in really desiring a palpable source of each sound in the soundstage.  The best way for me to describe it is that I like there to be size and density to each sound.  That may not even make sense to many listeners and so may not even enter their estimation of gear.

I will say that the HS DAC DAC blew me away in every sense, and then when the TL DAC DAC arrived it just additionally fulfilled that quality I tried to describe above in a way that I find to be especially personally satisfying.  Maybe a bit more "round and full" than "lean and clean."  The two editions are certainly cut from the same cloth soundwise, with just that little tweak in the sound that I feel is far more a personal preference than anything like an objective measure of their performance.  Matching the Maraschino power supplies to the respective speakers made a considerably bigger difference in my systems than swapping between the HS and the TL has.

For what it's worth, I've kept them both!  I hope that's a little helpful. :)

RCduck7

« Reply #124 on: 16 May 2017, 07:22 pm »
I think i can imagine what your preferences are. There are so many various parameters that play a role to each individual system also. I once had a cd player with a tube output stage and a solid state output stage. I remember i was switching a lot between the two leaving me confused. Some types of music i liked more with the tube output and others types with the solid state output. At the end i settled for the solid state output. The TL DAC DAC has no real tube output stage of course. But there is always something that has a benefit over the other and the other way around also something else i guess.
Thanks Jseipp.

RCduck7

« Reply #125 on: 14 Jul 2017, 03:07 pm »
I'm having both the TL-DAC and HS-DAC in my setup rightnow. I wasn't planning to have these both at my home but it turned out that way by some silly circumstances. But I'm glad now that i have the 2 DAC's though. Let me explain...

At first when the kickstarter project was running i mailed Tommy that i would like the TL version of the DAC DAC. In the following weeks i changed my mind and wanted to have the HS version. What i did not know is that the TL-DAC was allready sent to me not long after the kickstarter project ended. Tommy was very helpfull and wanted to send me the HS version to so i could compare both. I could keep the DAC DAC i liked  the most and sent the other one back. Since i also made a pledge for the Golden Cherry Upgrade he would let me sent my amps to do the upgrade to him together with the DAC DAC I'm not keeping. That way shipping costs would be more acceptable as i ship it together in one package. Thanks again to Tommy to put that kind of trust in me.
More about the differences of both versions of the DAC DAC  in my setup is going to follow.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2017, 08:11 pm by RCduck7 »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #126 on: 14 Jul 2017, 08:38 pm »
I'm having both the TL-DAC and HS-DAC in my setup rightnow. I wasn't planning to have these both at my home but it turned out that way by some silly circumstances. But I'm glad now that i have the 2 DAC's though. Let me explain...

At first when the kickstarter project was running i mailed Tommy that i would like the TL version of the DAC DAC. In the following weeks i changed my mind and wanted to have the HS version. What i did not know is that the TL-DAC was allready sent to me not long after the kickstarter project ended. Tommy was very helpfull and wanted to send me the HS version to so i could compare both. I could keep the DAC DAC i liked  the most and sent the other one back. Since i also made a pledge for the Golden Cherry Upgrade he would let me sent my amps to do the upgrade to him together with the DAC DAC I'm not keeping. That way shipping costs would be more acceptable as i ship it together in one package. Thanks again to Tommy to put that kind of trust in me.
More about the differences of both versions of the DAC DAC  in my setup is going to follow.  :wink:
I'm looking forward to your take on the two Cherry DAC "flavors"!  Please be sure to use quality wires (good shielding, good connectors) and AC power strips, if you use them.  Thanks for your kind post.

dburna

« Reply #127 on: 14 Jul 2017, 09:05 pm »
I'm looking forward to your take on the two Cherry DAC "flavors"!  Please be sure to use quality wires (good shielding, good connectors) and AC power strips, if you use them.  Thanks for your kind post.

I am curious -- why do you recommend using AC power strips?

-dB

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #128 on: 15 Jul 2017, 04:37 am »
I am curious -- why do you recommend using AC power strips?

-dB
I'm not necessarily recommending power strips, but I'm saying if you chose to use one, make sure it's a quality product. Power strips are sometimes handy with our 48V systems since that makes it easier to turn the amps off when leaving for vacation, for example.  Also handy for hooking the amps up and turning them on after everything else is up and running.  Auto sleep works well if the source is always on, but if not, it's recommended to turn the amps off instead of possibly subjecting them to preamp turn-on thumps and the like.  So, maybe I do recommend power strips for some setups.

Regarding AC power in general....  Current surges based on the audio need a good, solid AC connection.  I'm also a fan of quality power cords, but not the outrageously priced ones.  I guess quality over "fanciness" is another way to sum it up.  Thanks for your question.

RCduck7

« Reply #129 on: 15 Jul 2017, 10:00 pm »

I'm using an Auricle Audio Design cable for the digital domain. Silver foil interconnects that i bough from a DIYer. A Bada LB-5600 power conditioner... but i want to replace that with a good power strip. I recently found out that when i use my EVA II LDR based volume control on the filter section i have some noise coming through the speakers. While when i connect the volume control on the bypass section on the power conditioner the noise is as good as gone. Now that i know that I'm connecting most of my key components on the bypass section or directly on a wall socket. But a friend that also has the EVA II volume controller told me once that it is very sensitive to noise coming from the wall socket. He recommended to power it with a battery.

For replacing the Bada power conditioner there are two power strips that caught my intrest...
One is a no nonsens Aluminium power strip with internally good quality wire that is star shaped connected. And it has a Lapp power cord attached with very thick copper wires. No conditioning here. Here's the link...
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Ultra-ALU-6-fache-Steckdosenleiste-Netzleiste-mit-1-5m-Netzkabel-Sternverdrahtet-/181471091235?hash=item2a40851a23

I'm also considering the Oehlbach Powersocket 907. It has 4 unfiltered plugs and 4 that are digital filtered. I'm wondering if some of my components may benefit from the filtering. On my Bada conditioner it was worse with my volume controller. But it good be that the Bada has a fault or it is getting to old/wear and tear to do the job. It is also convenient it has 2 usb sockets to load multimedia devices. But I'm not sure it is internally star-shaped connected inside like the powerstrip on Ebay. Link...
http://www.oehlbach.com/en/power/powersocket-907

What would be recommended? Or are both good choices? And what are actually the benefits of a star-shaped connection?

RCduck7

« Reply #130 on: 17 Jul 2017, 11:22 pm »
I'm ready to share my experiences with the TL-DAC vs HS-DAC which i have been listening to for days now.

First i briefly compared the TL-DAC with my Metrum Quad DAC that i have been using for a few years now. Immediately i got the impression the TL-DAC opened up the music a bit more. When the HS-DAC arrived i decided not to compare it to the Metrum DAC as i liked the TL-DAC from the start.

At first i noticed the TL-DAC was that little bit more organic and slightly fuller sounding then the HS-DAC. To pinpoint the differences i listened to some tracks 2 times or more until i knew a track very well. I listened to Jazz, Piano, Voices, Pop and Rock… This revealed enough to make one of the DAC DAC’s my DAC of choice.

The HS-DAC does things in resolution and speed better. The highs on the TL-DAC seemed to have a bit roll off compared to the HS-DAC, which makes that the TL-DAC has a bit more upper midrange, while the HS-DAC a bit more in the highs.
But the thing that was remarkable and important for me in my setup, is that the HS-DAC has more definition in the lower regions. And the starting and stopping of a sound was better. That makes it better suited to complex music. For instance piano notes that rapidly follow each other were a bit more articulate on the HS-DAC. It also helps that the HS-DAC has a blacker background. True the TL-DAC sounds a bit more organic and vibrant and i easily could live with it. Since both DAC’s can draw you into the music and are involving it made my choice not very difficult.

The HS-DAC will be my DAC of choice. :)
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2017, 09:30 am by RCduck7 »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #131 on: 18 Jul 2017, 04:51 pm »
I'm using an Auricle Audio Design cable for the digital domain. Silver foil interconnects that i bough from a DIYer. A Bada LB-5600 power conditioner... but i want to replace that with a good power strip. I recently found out that when i use my EVA II LDR based volume control on the filter section i have some noise coming through the speakers. While when i connect the volume control on the bypass section on the power conditioner the noise is as good as gone. Now that i know that I'm connecting most of my key components on the bypass section or directly on a wall socket. But a friend that also has the EVA II volume controller told me once that it is very sensitive to noise coming from the wall socket. He recommended to power it with a battery.

For replacing the Bada power conditioner there are two power strips that caught my intrest...
One is a no nonsens Aluminium power strip with internally good quality wire that is star shaped connected. And it has a Lapp power cord attached with very thick copper wires. No conditioning here. Here's the link...
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Ultra-ALU-6-fache-Steckdosenleiste-Netzleiste-mit-1-5m-Netzkabel-Sternverdrahtet-/181471091235?hash=item2a40851a23

I'm also considering the Oehlbach Powersocket 907. It has 4 unfiltered plugs and 4 that are digital filtered. I'm wondering if some of my components may benefit from the filtering. On my Bada conditioner it was worse with my volume controller. But it good be that the Bada has a fault or it is getting to old/wear and tear to do the job. It is also convenient it has 2 usb sockets to load multimedia devices. But I'm not sure it is internally star-shaped connected inside like the powerstrip on Ebay. Link...
http://www.oehlbach.com/en/power/powersocket-907

What would be recommended? Or are both good choices? And what are actually the benefits of a star-shaped connection?
Both of the ones you provided links for appear to be excellent quality.  We don't recommend specific power strips because offerings are constantly changing, and pretty much any high quality power strip should do the job.  It's nice to have an on/off switch, though!  Thanks for your kind post and review.
-Tommy O

RCduck7

« Reply #132 on: 2 Aug 2017, 08:20 pm »
After my comparison to sum things up of my experience with the TL-DAC and HS-DAC...

The TL-DAC sounds amazing from the start, organic, vibrant and full sounding and a great mid to to upper midrange that makes tube fans happy without having actually a tube DAC. But still, resolution is good!

The HS-DAC has a solid black background, no noise and great resolution from top to bottom, sparkling highs to surprisingly very good definition in the lower registers. It offers speed that makes the starting and stopping of sounds of complex music easier to follow.

Either DAC, TL or HS are a very involving experience, you can't go wrong

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Audio Beatnik review of DAC DAC ---- HS vs TL
« Reply #133 on: 2 Aug 2017, 11:31 pm »
DAC DAC review comparing HS vs TL versions in the Audio Beatnik.  Check it out!
http://theaudiobeatnik.com/index.php/2017/08/02/comparing-high-spec-version-tube-like-version-digital-amplifier-company-dac-dac/

"I think both the HS and TL versions of the DAC DAC are simply remarkable. These hot-rodded DACs don’t give you any frills, but they give you really great sound for a reasonable price. I know there are a lot of little DACs for under $300, but I haven’t heard one that can touch either of these two."
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2017, 07:53 am by AmpDesigner333 »

RCduck7

« Reply #134 on: 10 Aug 2017, 08:28 pm »
This review describes it very good. I also experienced the good qualities of the TL-DAC when it comes to warmth, especially on guitar strings and violin. But overall i found the HS-DAC better suited to my needs.

LarryD56

« Reply #135 on: 3 Sep 2017, 05:11 am »
I had my reservations concerning the HS dac since I easily get fatigued if the upper midrange is overly accentuated (which is usually the case whenever someone says there is great detail heard in their product), but with the HS DAC DAC I have had no problems with it's sound. It gives me the fullness of the music and the detail I love, without the fatigue.
I'm a tube guy. Always loved their sound, but I'm very happy with the HS dac. I am curious about the TL dac, but not curious enough to buy one yet, so I can't give you a comparison. I just wanted to give a two thumbs up for the HS version from a guy with touchy ears.

Larry D.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #136 on: 8 Dec 2017, 03:56 pm »

Early B.

« Reply #137 on: 13 Jan 2018, 05:11 am »
I received my DAC DAC HS three days ago and I'm thoroughly impressed by this magical little box. Along with my Maraschino amps, the sound is resplendent. As most others have already mentioned, the key features are a blacker than black background, super detailed, and very dynamic. I had no plans to trade out most of my system, but you can't go wrong with Tommy's designs. It's a major upgrade for me, and prices are very reasonable. 

« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2018, 11:09 pm by Early B. »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
We are honored to receive this award from the audio beatnik:
    Digital Product of the Year ---- DAC DAC High-Spec Version

http://theaudiobeatnik.com/audio-beatniks-best-2017-awards/

KLH007

« Reply #139 on: 16 Jan 2018, 02:54 pm »
Congratulations Tommy, I know Jeremy Kipnis (Positive Feedback), also loves his DAC DAC and Maraschino amps. I'll have to hear one or both versions of your DAC soon. I thought the Inline Maraschinos were the best Class D amps I ever auditioned in my system, superior bass definition and control, beautiful mids and vocals, and most importantly extended yet sweet top end that yielded gorgeous string tone and accurate delicate percussion.