A fun speaker.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
A fun speaker.
« on: 6 May 2021, 06:12 pm »
Danny,
Have you ever thought about designing a speaker that’s not optimized for imaging and sound staging but still sounds musical and fun?  Ideally a 2-way or 3-way with bass down to 40Hz but also easy and relatively cheap to build.

Early B.

Re: A fun speaker.
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2021, 07:17 pm »
By "fun," do you mean a speaker you can rock out on? If so, that implies to me a box speaker with a large mid-bass driver. And to keep it in the family, it could be designed to sit on top of dual servo subs. It would be fun to glue up a flat pack, too.

corndog71

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2021, 07:36 pm »
Yes, a “rock out speaker”. Not necessarily made to be mated with $2500 stereo subs but you could I suppose.

jn316

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2021, 07:56 pm »
Danny always referred to the Super-V as a fun speaker.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2021, 08:23 pm »
Yes, a “rock out speaker”. Not necessarily made to be mated with $2500 stereo subs but you could I suppose.

Yeah -- just tryin' to give Danny an incentive to do it that fits with his current product line.

I  think it's a great idea. No need for a ruler flat frequency response or premium crossover parts. However, size matters. If you really want to rock out, 6.5" midrange drivers aren't gonna do it. You need big, dance hall sound that only 12" or 15" mid-drivers can provide (and huge subs to back them up, when possible).

jn316

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2021, 08:43 pm »
Something like the vintage Klipsch speakers (Heresy, Forte) but with better parts and half the cost.

zenfishbike

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2021, 09:14 pm »
Something like the vintage Klipsch speakers (Heresy, Forte) but with better parts and half the cost.

Now we're talk'n. Sign me up, I'd be in on something like this!  :P  (In addition to the NX-Otica/OB Subs rig I'm working towards)

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2021, 09:57 pm »
A party speaker. Something you can setup at a party, reunion.. or even the garage!? Something I would say ideally all in one.. no sub needed would be a cool ass factor. Simple setup full range party speaker! This sounds like a cool build.

More so easy build on the wood, easy cabinets.. easy crossovers. I again like this.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2021, 10:37 pm »
How about an ultra refined party speaker?  I'd be willing to pay good money for one of those.  How about something that uses these drivers:

Tweeter:

https://usspeaker.com/beyma%20tpl150h-1.htm

Midrange:

https://aespeakers.com/shop/td/td15m/

And a stereo pair of servo subs:

https://www.gr-research.com/store/p20/Servo_Sub_Kit_2.html

This would be a bruiser of a speaker from a power and fun factor, while still being very detailed and highly refined.  You could eat your cake and have it too.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2021, 10:53 pm »
How about an ultra refined party speaker?  I'd be willing to pay good money for one of those.  How about something that uses these drivers:

Tweeter: https://usspeaker.com/beyma%20tpl150h-1.htm

Midrange:https://aespeakers.com/shop/td/td15m/

A few months ago, this was the dream speaker I wanted to build.

ketchup

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2021, 10:55 pm »
This sounds like the prefect garage speaker.  It should fill a large room with close to full-range sound, be musically satisfying, can go up against a wall or in a corner, and be relatively cheap.  Good efficiency so I can play around with vintage tube amps would be a plus.  I would buy a pair.

corndog71

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2021, 11:57 pm »
This sounds like the prefect garage speaker.  It should fill a large room with close to full-range sound, be musically satisfying, can go up against a wall or in a corner, and be relatively cheap.  Good efficiency so I can play around with vintage tube amps would be a plus.  I would buy a pair.

Exactly. 

How about an ultra refined party speaker?

Kinda drifting away from my point.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2021, 12:22 am »
I am actually working on some new products using Radian drivers that will be sold through Radian and GR Research that are right along those lines.

tom739

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2021, 12:49 am »
Wow, interesting topic. I have thought about starting this topic many times over the last several months.

Straight to the point, I agree exactly with Tyson. Why not use Danny’s talents to the max. My current speakers are a diy pair using the TD15M Tyson has suggested. I use it with a Radian compression driver and 18Sound horn but would very much like to try the TPL-150H suggested. With Danny’s crossover these could be awesome speakers. It is my opinion many would prefer these to anything Danny is currently selling except maybe the NX-Otica or Extremes. The NX-Studio is great near field, desktop, like they were designed for. But in a big room, no match for the TD15M and that tweeter. Also, high efficiency and very low inductance woofer. Perfect for all the low wattage and tube guys. The TD15M excels in the upper bass and midrange. Nice paper cone. Does not store too much energy and has a very natural sound.  So, use your subs with these. I do. A pair of 2x12 open baffle servo.

Remember how much Tyson enjoyed the Klipsch after Danny’s mods?
Remember how much M. Lundy enjoyed the Pi 4 speakers he recently built for a client?

The speaker Tyson has suggested could be a better version of both. Now that is what I call fun!

Just saw Danny’s post as I was posting. Looking forward to these Radian designs.
Thanks.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2021, 12:52 am »
Exactly. 

Kinda drifting away from my point.

You're right - sorry!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2021, 12:53 am »
Why not build a pair of DML foam panel speaker you can hang a few inches from the walls?  :P

They're also pretty cheap to make with, with a couple sheets of 24x24" foamular board that are cut and sanded (and painted unless you like pink) and a datyon exciter attached to the back in the 2/5-3/5 position. Then just some decent subs to take over the low end below 200Hz.

No need for a box, baffle, or even crossovers! Maybe just a miniDSP to fix any major peakes/dips.

Early B.

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2021, 01:31 am »
I predict that if Danny offers this fun speaker as a DIY kit at a decent price (not sure what that would be), it will outsell almost everything else on his website. Even the HT enthusiasts and a few commercial users would grab a set.     

zenfishbike

« Reply #17 on: 7 May 2021, 03:07 am »
I predict that if Danny offers this fun speaker as a DIY kit at a decent price (not sure what that would be), it will outsell almost everything else on his website. Even the HT enthusiasts and a few commercial users would grab a set.   

And I'd bet it would be wholly additive to sales and not pirate sales away from existing offerings. Would attract a new, much larger, audience. Those of us who need a highly resolving system still need a highly resolving system. But many of us would also like to have a really good party speaker that rocks and makes those bad recordings from the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. fun again. I bought some vintage JBL 4310's in search of that but Danny's wizardry would far surpass this vintage gear. Plus, just think of it, we could have TWO dedicated listening rooms instead of one!

Early B.

« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2021, 03:45 am »
Those of us who need a highly resolving system still need a highly resolving system. But many of us would also like to have a really good party speaker that rocks and makes those bad recordings from the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. fun again. I bought some vintage JBL 4310's in search of that but Danny's wizardry would far surpass this vintage gear. Plus, just think of it, we could have TWO dedicated listening rooms instead of one!

I'm convinced that a single pair of speakers can be both fun and highly resolving. It would probably be an expensive DIY project, though.

CaptainBill

« Reply #19 on: 9 May 2021, 11:07 pm »
I’d be interested in a party speaker!  Radian compression driver(s) plus high efficiency, large woofer for SET amp please!  Still looking at Wayne’s 4pi if nothing turns up here.