Red Dead Redemption

Rclark

Red Dead Redemption
« on: 20 Feb 2013, 03:43 am »
Wow. That was unbelievable. Just finished it, and this is the first time I can say a video game was as good as any great literature or similar experience like an epic movie or tv series. That was quite an achievement. We've all played some great games recently, Mass Effect comes to mind, but this is far and away the most immersive and fully realized world I've ever seen.

Anyone else play this AAAA masterpiece of an old western? Was very much like a window into time or an old west simulator. And often just beautiful to look at..

Chazro

Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2013, 06:14 pm »
LOOOOVE RED DEAD!  A game that I keep coming back to.  Playing by yourself or on line vs. others (something I don't usually do) it's simply a blast.  I even went so far as to buy the guidebook, essential if you want to attempt the slew of challenges/games also offered within Red Dead! 

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm »
This truly was an epic game in its own right.  Great stories make the game in my opinion.  I agree that the Mass Effect series is awesome, the ending could not have been fleshed out by todays computers.  Just too many decisions with that many story arcs, ME just is paving the way.  Another great story that is not entirely in the game play is Halo, the books and the Halo 4 Spartan Ops truly make a great story as well. 
I for one want to get back into Tamariel and slay some dragons, and build a home.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2013, 10:47 pm »

Yeah, Red Dead is one of those products that really transcend the medium, I think we're going to see a lot more of this on the next machines. Anybody interested in the old west would love Red Dead, even older folks who've never really played video games.

And by transcend I mean I would place this game on the same pedestal as a great written work by Hemingway or Twain, or any great film. It's on equal footing.