Joule White at Newport Beach 2014

Don_S

Re: Joule White at Newport Beach 2014
« Reply #40 on: 5 Jun 2014, 04:39 pm »
Is your objection to a closed door structured demo or just not playing anything that comes in the door?

Both, although I might place limits on "anything" that comes through the door.  Personally if a door is closed when I get there I might not make it back to that room.  I also hate to be "locked in" for a set time period while someone babbles endlessly with too much self-importance. I have other places to be.

People who really want to hear a specific brand/speaker might tolerate a controlled performance to a degree then they will want to hear their own music. A big point is a closed room might miss some attendees that are not familiar with the brand but might become interested if they get to hear the speakers. I do not know about T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach but in 2013 there were over 240 hotel suites with audio gear at CES and T.H.E. Show Las Vegas.  The show was open four days.  Do the math.

But my point was not MY objection. I am not alone. Exhibitors have been sternly taken to task on this and other forums for demonstrations that were thought to be too controlled.

audioengr

« Reply #41 on: 5 Jun 2014, 05:05 pm »
We were more than willing to play music people brought in.  The problem is that when you run a server, it wants to rip the whole disk and collect all of the album art and tags from the web.  This can take 10 minutes easily.  People think it can be done in 30 seconds.

I believe we ripped about 10 disks and copied 5 or 6 thumb-drives for attendees.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

audioengr

« Reply #42 on: 5 Jun 2014, 05:06 pm »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #43 on: 5 Jun 2014, 05:42 pm »
You guys were great about playing the music I brought to RMAF 2013.  :thumb:

People who don't play attendees music generally won't be visited again in the future, you can't see every room and not playing the music I brought is a great way to get axed. I would guess T&P and many other show attendees/reviewers feel the same way.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #44 on: 5 Jun 2014, 06:04 pm »
Both, although I might place limits on "anything" that comes through the door.  Personally if a door is closed when I get there I might not make it back to that room.  I also hate to be "locked in" for a set time period while someone babbles endlessly with too much self-importance. I have other places to be.

People who really want to hear a specific brand/speaker might tolerate a controlled performance to a degree then they will want to hear their own music. A big point is a closed room might miss some attendees that are not familiar with the brand but might become interested if they get to hear the speakers. I do not know about T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach but in 2013 there were over 240 hotel suites with audio gear at CES and T.H.E. Show Las Vegas.  The show was open four days.  Do the math.

But my point was not MY objection. I am not alone. Exhibitors have been sternly taken to task on this and other forums for demonstrations that were thought to be too controlled.

Sorry I hope you don't think I'm singling you out as I'd really like to know what the balance is between just playing music in a room and some structure.  I don't enjoy rooms that don't move the music quickly so I can hear different types.  To your point there are 240 rooms and I want to hear something I like.  I don't enjoy rooms where the host just puts on music at the end of every cut and doesn't engage the audience.  I don't enjoy rooms where there is a personal cut of music being played and it sucks and it stays on for the duration of the cut.  I don't enjoy rooms that do not have some sort of structured time to engage and teach about their product.  I'd like to see the music available list on paper when I walk into a room.   Why do I have to bring music if I know what they have to play.  I could go on.         

audioengr

« Reply #45 on: 5 Jun 2014, 06:35 pm »
Sorry I hope you don't think I'm singling you out as I'd really like to know what the balance is between just playing music in a room and some structure.  I don't enjoy rooms that don't move the music quickly so I can hear different types.  To your point there are 240 rooms and I want to hear something I like.  I don't enjoy rooms where the host just puts on music at the end of every cut and doesn't engage the audience.  I don't enjoy rooms where there is a personal cut of music being played and it sucks and it stays on for the duration of the cut.  I don't enjoy rooms that do not have some sort of structured time to engage and teach about their product.  I'd like to see the music available list on paper when I walk into a room.   Why do I have to bring music if I know what they have to play.  I could go on.         

I am always torn about playing through an entire track.  Some people want it and others want to hear something different.  I usually try to find an inflexion point in the track and then switch to the next track to give people a variety that satisfies most in the shortest time interval.  I also ask practically everyone coming in what they would like to hear.  Most just shrug....

50% of the time the tracks that people bring are poorly recorded or they are strange choices, which reflects badly on the system and drives people from the room.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #46 on: 5 Jun 2014, 06:37 pm »

Cheeseboy

« Reply #47 on: 5 Jun 2014, 07:21 pm »
That's so true.  The person recorded it themselves and as it plays you can read peoples faces.  They all say "I'm outta Here",  Or it is their favorite marching band cut. 

pconley2

« Reply #48 on: 5 Jun 2014, 07:42 pm »
Interesting quote from Jason Victor Serinus of Stereophile, I have yet to see his review of Vapor-Empircal room, but he points out that Peachtree and Amarra used the DSP system that comes with Amarra to tame their room. The Dirac system is also available from Amarra for a couple of hundred dollars, all you need is a mike, which they can also sell, and you have a built in very capable room DSP system.  Ryan and Pete and whoever they partner with for the SF show in August should consider this small investment.  As I understand it, the same speakers will be at that show.

"Jonathan Derda of Peachtree showed me the microphone that he and the Amarra folks used to measure 9 different spots in the room and custom tune Amarra's four filters to create a very linear room response. "Once you're done measuring, you can tweak the system for warmth, or create your own filters," he said."

Jason goes on to comment, ironically enough about Ryan Speakers
 "The usual bass problems," I wrote about the Hilton's difficult-to-control rooms."

food for thought.

phil

simoon

« Reply #49 on: 5 Jun 2014, 07:44 pm »
Those of us that have attended quite a few shows, know ahead of time what to expect from the rooms.

It is quite easy to take that into consideration when listening, and listen past those issues.

Yes, in a perfect world, it would be nice to hear the product as it is meant to sound. But I have no problems subtracting the room effects from what I am hearing.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #50 on: 5 Jun 2014, 10:51 pm »
When I was a dealer back in the 80's, I was introduced to a man called Tom Goetz from Atlanta Georgia. He built speakers using the same drivers as all the other biggie companies out there, but had a very simple 6db per octave crossover. All he used was a coil and one capacitor for his crossover. The man could fine-tune every speaker by hand and ear, he was a genius. His speakers blew away everything by Thiel, Vandersteen, and Wilson made. Those were the a few of the biggies back then. So why don't you hear his name as a biggie today?

Goetz wanted more dealers, so a friend of mine offered to travel to the dealers and set them up. Even though the dealers heard how good they sounded, all they asked was where are the reviews? Without review,s all these dealers were not interested in carrying them.

So Tom boxed two pair up and sent them off to Stereophile and the TAS. Goetz even took out an ad in Stereophile that cost him hundreds of dollars. After three months of no word from the magazines, Goetz contacted the magazines. TAS boxed up their loaners and shipped them back to Goetz. Stereophile finally did the same thing, J. Gordon Holt wrote up a very damaging review that was never printed. He wrote that nobody could ever take these speakers seriously because they were a joke.

There were politics back then, politics going on even today. It is very tough to break the politics barrier with your components. Just because you make the very best in the world does not guarantee a favorable review with these reviewers. Tom Goetz was the perfect example.

You mean this Goetz? Read the reviews:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1289194539

I looked for Stereophile/TAS reviews but didn't find any...probably back issues from the 80's...

Best,
Anand.

OzarkTom

« Reply #51 on: 6 Jun 2014, 01:01 am »
You mean this Goetz? Read the reviews:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1289194539

I looked for Stereophile/TAS reviews but didn't find any...probably back issues from the 80's...

Best,
Anand.

No review anywhere even though Goetz sent them to three magazines for a review. Tom's early speakers were boxes but when he designed the open baffles there were no comparison between them and the boxes. The boxes sounded better than any Thiels, the open baffles sounded better than the Vandersteens. These OB's imaged like an omni, there were no sweet spots in any listening position.

At the time I sold Goetz, Acoustats, Spica, Celestion, Spendor, Rogers, Thiel, Vandersteens, KEF, VMPS, and Duntech speakers.

audioengr

« Reply #52 on: 6 Jun 2014, 01:27 am »
Interesting quote from Jason Victor Serinus of Stereophile, I have yet to see his review of Vapor-Empircal room, but he points out that Peachtree and Amarra used the DSP system that comes with Amarra to tame their room. The Dirac system is also available from Amarra for a couple of hundred dollars, all you need is a mike, which they can also sell, and you have a built in very capable room DSP system.  Ryan and Pete and whoever they partner with for the SF show in August should consider this small investment.  As I understand it, the same speakers will be at that show.

I did exactly this at the previous two or three shows, including Newport 2012 and 2013 with Vapor.  I have a mic and spectrum analyzer app. The problem is we wanted to use the excellent Antipodes server, which does not currently give us that option.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Cheeseboy

« Reply #53 on: 6 Jun 2014, 04:03 pm »
Steve,

Love to hear your insights into using a system like the Dual Core AntiMode and an upgrade DAC like yours.  How does one do this and not lose the benefits of the upgrade?   I just can't hang absorption and diffusion all over the house.  But I still want a Meaning of Life digital music system. 

Suggestions?

jhm731

« Reply #54 on: 6 Jun 2014, 04:56 pm »
Jason Victor Serinus liked your room:

"As I soon discovered in the Vapor Audio room, don't try to evaluate music sourced from the Antipodes DV music server ($3990) while it's in the midst of ripping files, because sound is compromised. Once the task was completed, a 24/192 reduction of Ivan Fischer's DSD recording of Mahler Symphony 4 exhibited fabulous depth and air, and Shelby Lynne's voice was again worth lovin'.

A listen to Reference Recordings' Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances also showcased the excellent, full-range sound and engaging depth produced by Vapor Audio Joule White loudspeakers ($12,995/pair). Also heard: Clayton Audio M300 monoblocks ($16,500/pair), DAC conversion via Empirical Audio's Overdrive ($6399) and Short Block USB filter ($199), a Final Drive Transformer Buffer ($2999), VH Audio Plasmatron power conditioning ($4000), cabling from Antipodes and Verastarr, and Hi-Fi Racks racks."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/show-2014-day-3-morning

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #55 on: 8 Jun 2014, 03:14 am »
Jason Victor Serinus liked your room:

"As I soon discovered in the Vapor Audio room, don't try to evaluate music sourced from the Antipodes DV music server ($3990) while it's in the midst of ripping files, because sound is compromised. Once the task was completed, a 24/192 reduction of Ivan Fischer's DSD recording of Mahler Symphony 4 exhibited fabulous depth and air, and Shelby Lynne's voice was again worth lovin'.

A listen to Reference Recordings' Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances also showcased the excellent, full-range sound and engaging depth produced by Vapor Audio Joule White loudspeakers ($12,995/pair). Also heard: Clayton Audio M300 monoblocks ($16,500/pair), DAC conversion via Empirical Audio's Overdrive ($6399) and Short Block USB filter ($199), a Final Drive Transformer Buffer ($2999), VH Audio Plasmatron power conditioning ($4000), cabling from Antipodes and Verastarr, and Hi-Fi Racks racks."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/show-2014-day-3-morning

Since Stereophile are the purveyors of credibility, does that mean you take back your prior rant? 

jhm731

« Reply #56 on: 8 Jun 2014, 04:03 am »
Since Stereophile are the purveyors of credibility, does that mean you take back your prior rant?
No.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #57 on: 8 Jun 2014, 04:27 am »
No.

Somehow I didn't think you would ... foot was inserted far too deep for easy removal. 

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 8 Jun 2014, 04:59 am »
Str8 trollage!!

soundofrockets

« Reply #59 on: 8 Jun 2014, 06:00 am »
Somehow I didn't think you would ... foot was inserted far too deep for easy removal.

With your post above......

And this is how you loose your personal creditability and future customers.  With this attitude of yours Ryan I wish you good luck!

No hard feelings.