make a kid happy, buy him a vintage reciever

TONEPUB

make a kid happy, buy him a vintage reciever
« on: 14 Feb 2007, 04:51 pm »
As much as I'd like to take credit for this idea, I actually got it from Michael Fremer a while ago in his column.  He suggested that a good way to get kids involved with music is to give them a vintage reciever!

I've taken up this quest and have given out about 6 recievers in the last year, including my daughter.

Perusing Ebay, I've managed to find some great stuff in the 35-50 dollar range.  A couple of Pioneer SX-636's 737's and the like.  Even the occasional Marantz 2015 will show up under a hundred bucks in remarkable shape.

So far all the recipients are enjoying music and usually their dads have a big smile when they see those big blue dials light up too....

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
Re: make a kid happy, buy him a vintage reciever
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2007, 05:32 pm »
I have both a Marantz 2238B and a Luxman R-1040 that will wind up in systems for my two sons when they start to show a real interest in music.  (They're 11 and 12, so they're just beginning...)

I love 70s receivers.  It reminds me of when I first got into this hobby...you know, "when receivers were king"!

Over the years I've owned the following:

Kenwood KR-9600
Concept 5.5
Sansui 8080DB
Kenwood KR-4400
Advent 300

I'd love to get a McIntosh MAC1500 or 1700 some time soon.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2007, 05:38 pm »
My dad gave me his Pioneer receiver from the 70's when he bought a new stereo in a box. RCA speakers I think.  Anyway, it wasn't hifi, but I still have a bit of nostalgia for the warm sound, kind of like my Sansui receiver in my basement.  SS, but you wouldn't really know it from the sound. 

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2007, 05:44 pm »
Keep in mind that while having cool old receivers is fun, they are old. They have old capacitors, perhaps freyed power cords and are filled with dust.

I would first inspect the recievers for any defects, especially with the power cord and switch for possible fire hazards.

Next, I would plug the receiver into an outlet strip that has a switch on it. That way, when your done listening to the vintage receiver, you can switch it safely out of the 120 volt outlet. I would never leave these old receivers plugged in as one day you may come home to smoldering ruins.

I'm glad the kids enjoy them. Now get them a turntable.  aa

W

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2007, 06:23 pm »
I can only be santa so far!

:)

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2007, 06:41 pm »
I've taken up this quest and have given out about 6 recievers in the last year, including my daughter.

Wow. Now THAT'S dedication!

But I'm curious. How long did your daughter stay with each of them? Or were you giving out more than one daughter? :green:

se

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2007, 06:53 pm »
I have a Kenwood KR-2090

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2007, 10:30 pm »
Onkyo TX-25 Tuner-Amp (aka, receiver), over 20 years old now, going strong (great FM reception, too)

Brad

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2007, 01:25 am »
I have a Scott 299a waiting for my boys to have enough room to set up a system.

The 9 year old hooked his jambox with aux out to a set of computer speakers I had (with a sub)
The sound is actually pretty nice.  He uses his iPod into the same set - there are 2 sets of inputs.

"That's my boy!"

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2007, 06:03 am »
I just got a 299 myself, it's a GREAT amp!

Toka

« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2007, 03:39 pm »
Vintage receivers can be the best bargain in audio...I'm partial to the bigger examples from Yamaha (CR-xx20) and Sansui (the big 'G' models) myself. The Yammies have an incredibly clean, clear sound, completely free of background noise even with the volume cranked all the way...and the Sansui's are warm and full, with tons of power.

I agree that *any* piece of equipment that is that old should be looked over, and probably could use some degree of work (even if its just a cap or two). Will benefit your ears, and more importantly, will be much safer.  :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2007, 05:19 am »
They are all fun.  Myself, I'd love a Marantz 2275.  That was the reciever I always wanted in high school...

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2007, 08:13 pm »
I may try to find one of those Concept 5.5 receivers I was talking about.  Then, I'll find a Dual CS-510 with a Shure V-15 Type III.  Then I'll find some AR-11 speakers.  Then it'll be 1977 again.  If I could find my high school girlfriend...

TONEPUB

« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2007, 01:39 pm »
Forget about the stereo, lets find the high school girlfriend...

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2007, 10:47 pm »
Be aware that almost all of the AR speakers have foam rot. Such nice speakers and a chemical blunder with a foam surround that wasn't ozone resistant. I'd like a pair of AR-5's but don't want the hassle or the chance of re-surrounding the drivers only to find out the "Q" of the system is all screwed up.

May I suggest a pair of Dyncao A25's or A25XL's. I have 2 pair of the XL's that will probably last another 40 years.

W

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #15 on: 10 Mar 2007, 01:43 am »
Be aware that almost all of the AR speakers have foam rot. Such nice speakers and a chemical blunder with a foam surround that wasn't ozone resistant. I'd like a pair of AR-5's but don't want the hassle or the chance of re-surrounding the drivers only to find out the "Q" of the system is all screwed up.

May I suggest a pair of Dyncao A25's or A25XL's. I have 2 pair of the XL's that will probably last another 40 years.

W

I know that vintage Dynacos are always a good bet when looking for used speakers.  Personally, I'm not sure if I would want those old ARs again, even if the cones were rebuilt.  It definitely wasn't one of the "classic" ARs, like a 3a.  When it comes to old speakers, I'm not sure if I'd want to go too far beyond a Spica TC-50 or a Spendor BC-1, or even a nice LS3/5a.

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 10 Mar 2007, 01:53 am »
I wish things could have been different. AR screwed things up and I feel the same way you do. :bawl:

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2007, 02:02 am »
I wish things could have been different. AR screwed things up and I feel the same way you do. :bawl:

I actually didn't keep them very long.  I had a good friend at the local Pacific Stereo, and he used to hook me up all the time.  I started off with a pair of Jennings Towers (anyone remember those?), which I bought on his day off. I had them for a few weeks when I got a call from him asking me why the heck I got the Jennings.  I was at the mercy of one of his fellow salesmen, that's why.  He told me to come in and return them, and he'd get me much better speakers for around the same amount of money.  I wound up with the AR-11s, but he wasn't thrilled with my choice, and after a couple of months, I wasn't either.  He called me back in when the Concept house brand (I already had the Concept 5.5 receiver, which in retrospect was very, very good) came out with their own line of speakers with Heil Air Transformers. Those were much better, so again he gave me a full refund for the Concepts.  I held onto that system for quite a while.

His name was Dennis Wright.  He was a real '70s guy, with long hair and beard, and never wore shoes in the store.  He was the first person to show me just how bad Bose 901s were.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2007, 09:35 pm »
Forget about the stereo, lets find the high school girlfriend...

I just found a picture of her not too long ago.  Boy was I stupid for breaking up with her.  She looked like a young Vivien Leigh... :drool:

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 10 Mar 2007, 09:58 pm »
I just restored a pair of Jennings Research towers for a neighbor. It had dual 6.5 woofers, a 2" midrange and a domed tweeter. The tweeter and midrange were sunk into the cabinet about 2". I thought they would sound terrible and not image very well. Boy, was I wrong. Jennings did some things very wrong (fuses and a goofy cross-over) but nice cabinets, nice drivers but the wrong surround material on the woofers.

W aa