New owner of Daedalus Audio Ulysses speakers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New owner of Daedalus Audio Ulysses speakers
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2023, 08:51 am »
hello , an operational question, here in Italy it is now 9.40 AM , what is the time zone difference for the Daedalus Forum compared to my time ??
I ask to evaluate in which daily range it is better to write from here
thank you very much
Dario
You can post any time day or night you want,
Audio Circle are housed in Australia and online 24/7.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2023, 12:27 pm »
hello , an operational question, here in Italy it is now 9.40 AM , what is the time zone difference for the Daedalus Forum compared to my time ??
I ask to evaluate in which daily range it is better to write from here
thank you very much
Dario

Hi Dario,

Per Google "Italy is 9 hours ahead of Ferndale, WA".

Slush

Ulisse60

« Reply #22 on: 7 Mar 2023, 01:12 pm »
Hi Dario,

Per Google "Italy is 9 hours ahead of Ferndale, WA".

Slush
:thumb:
thanks Dario

Ulisse60

« Reply #23 on: 7 Mar 2023, 01:16 pm »
You can post any time day or night you want,
Audio Circle are housed in Australia and online 24/7.
Thank you, I guess it's always possible to write here, it was to understand in which time slot it was more logical to interact with other users, let's say more in real time !!
Dario

Ulisse60

« Reply #24 on: 7 Mar 2023, 01:27 pm »
Welcome to the board.

And no offense, but those speakers look waaaaay too big for that room.  IMO, the starting point to building a system is always to get a speaker that is appropriately sized for the room.
No offense, in all of Italy I think this is the only existing couple, of Daedalus, and it was in the house of Ugo, an enthusiast I had already met in the past, about 20 km from me. . .
When I saw his announcement for sale, my first thought was that they wouldn't work for me, too big and complete, but I went to listen to them anyway, and I fell in love with them in 1 hour. . .
My music room is on the upper floor and can be reached via a narrow spiral staircase, so I won't even tell you about the problems first with transport, then with installation and finally with the fear of having made a completely wrong choice. . .
Instead, they sound amazing, with some obvious limitations, but for me the benefits and great sound far outweigh the environmental limitations!!
greetings, Dario

rbbert

« Reply #25 on: 7 Mar 2023, 03:06 pm »
Fremer's ego and attitude surpass any speaker room combo I am aware of.

While I agree that MF's ego and attitude are the salient parts of his personality, I'm not sure why that means his opinions about speaker room combo are in any way invalid.

Personally I have heard systems sound very good with small speakers in large rooms and with large speakers in small rooms, and systems that sound poor regardless of "speaker room" matching.  It is important to be able to listen in a position that will allow the drivers of a multi-way system to "integrate", but beyond that I don't think there is any other parameter is of primary importance (regarding "speaker room combo").

Lou has posted the minimum listening distance for the Ulysses in the past, although I don't recall what he recommended.

Ulisse60

« Reply #26 on: 7 Mar 2023, 05:43 pm »
Personally I have heard systems sound very good with small speakers in large rooms and with large speakers in small rooms, and systems that sound poor regardless of "speaker room" matching.  It is important to be able to listen in a position that will allow the drivers of a multi-way system to "integrate", but beyond that I don't think there is any other parameter is of primary importance (regarding "speaker room combo").

Hi, I very much agree with your considerations, often in large rooms there are more environmental problems than in small ones, where the direct sound prevails over the reflected one . . .

Lou has posted the minimum listening distance for the Ulysses in the past, although I don't recall what he recommended.

I am very interested in this aspect, I have the tweeters about 2 meters away, but I think I should have at least 3, and in fact with my seat I find myself with the height of my ears above the 2 tweeters, and not in line with them, from here it would also be useful to know how to raise about 5 cm. further the floorstanding speakers without losing sound quality and firmness. . .
Thanks for your answers
Dario

rbbert

« Reply #27 on: 8 Mar 2023, 02:58 pm »
Reviewing some older posts in this forum, it would appear that close to 3m (10 ft) is the minimum listening distance for driver integration in the Ulysses; 2.7 - 2.8 meters might also work.

Ulisse60

« Reply #28 on: 8 Mar 2023, 03:53 pm »
Reviewing some older posts in this forum, it would appear that close to 3m (10 ft) is the minimum listening distance for driver integration in the Ulysses; 2.7 - 2.8 meters might also work.
Thanks, I imagined I was a little too near field, but I can't do otherwise for now, I'm satisfied with the splendid timbre, extension, detail and dynamics, for the stage and the coherence of emission, I'll wait for the installation in the next house !!
Dario

js1955

« Reply #29 on: 8 Mar 2023, 11:01 pm »

Which is exactly why you don't put a large multi-driver speaker in a small room.....can't get far enough away for proper driver integration.  Also, strong chance of bass overload problems.

GregC

« Reply #30 on: 9 Mar 2023, 03:59 am »
I have a pair of Apollo 2 walnut speakers speakers I bought from Lou a couple years ago.  I have them in my medium sized living room setup.  I use them for a mixture of 2 channel listening as well as mains for my HT setup.  They are beautiful to look at, and I love how they are resolute without sounding too analytical.   I get compliments when people see their craftsmanship.  They sound even better than they look. 

For my setup I have them placed 4 feet from the wall behind them and 18 inches from each sidewall.  They form a 10 ft equilateral triangle (toed in towards the center listening position).   

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #31 on: 9 Mar 2023, 04:56 am »
I have a pair of Apollo 2 walnut speakers speakers I bought from Lou a couple years ago.  I have them in my medium sized living room setup.  I use them for a mixture of 2 channel listening as well as mains for my HT setup.  They are beautiful to look at, and I love how they are resolute without sounding too analytical.   I get compliments when people see their craftsmanship.  They sound even better than they look. 

For my setup I have them placed 4 feet from the wall behind them and 18 inches from each sidewall.  They form a 10 ft equilateral triangle (toed in towards the center listening position).

+1

My Apollos are positioned in much the same way as GregC's except that mine are 4 1/2 feet from the front wall. My listening position is ~10 feet from the speakers. Since I purchased them from Lou, I have had these speakers set up in 5(?) different sized rooms to date, and they have sounded wonderful regardless of room size or shape.

Dario,

Enjoy your Ulysses now, and anticipate even greater enjoyment once your new home is ready.  You've got a great pair of speakers. 8)

GregC

« Reply #32 on: 10 Mar 2023, 01:18 am »
+1

My Apollos are positioned in much the same way as GregC's except that mine are 4 1/2 feet from the front wall. My listening position is ~10 feet from the speakers. Since I purchased them from Lou, I have had these speakers set up in 5(?) different sized rooms to date, and they have sounded wonderful regardless of room size or shape.

Dario,

Enjoy your Ulysses now, and anticipate even greater enjoyment once your new home is ready.  You've got a great pair of speakers. 8)

Hi Michael,

My fireplace hearth stops me from moving the speakers further into the room or else I would.  The speakers are setup father apart than other speakers I have setup before, but they image well and the soundstage is engulfing without losing focus. 

Greg   

rbbert

« Reply #33 on: 10 Mar 2023, 03:29 pm »
FWIW, the Apollo series should be much more forgiving of placement, room size and optimal listening distances than the Ulysses.  That said, I love both.

GregC

« Reply #34 on: 11 Mar 2023, 02:20 am »
The Apollos are forgiving, but after lots of trial and error I found what I thought sounded the best given my room's constraints as a living space.   I believe the Muse Studio model is setup to be even more forgiving than Apollos.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #35 on: 11 Mar 2023, 06:19 am »
If Dario wish I would move this topic to the Daedalus Circle ?

Ulisse60

« Reply #36 on: 11 Mar 2023, 09:21 pm »
If Dario wish I would move this topic to the Daedalus Circle ?
Hi Fullrangeman , if you think it offers more visibility for the Ulysses discussion that's fine, thank you very much
Dario

Ulisse60

« Reply #37 on: 12 Mar 2023, 09:04 am »
Which is exactly why you don't put a large multi-driver speaker in a small room.....can't get far enough away for proper driver integration.  Also, strong chance of bass overload problems.
Hello
I can say that it was also my fear, the presence of out of control bass, with long tails and poor intelligibility, in reality none of this, I strongly believe in the value of the audio chain upstream of the loudspeakers and while making the Ulysses express themselves under their potential, due to the small room, what the electronics and cables do, which I have taken great care of, is to offer a sound of impact and quality, never previously had in terms of extension and dynamics. Nonetheless, as someone has written, a larger room in the future will enhance them to their fullest.
As regards the integration of the drivers, I perceive some small lack of homogeneity, but for now I have no alternatives for positioning the speakers and I live with the limits of the room
Dario

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 12 Mar 2023, 09:09 am »
Hi Fullrangeman , if you think it offers more visibility for the Ulysses discussion that's fine, thank you very much
Dario
OK, have just moved now.

jonbee

« Reply #39 on: 12 Mar 2023, 04:29 pm »
Congratulations on your choice.
Daedalus speakers I've heard sound more like live music, rather than just recordings. I've heard Ulysses, Athena and owned DA-RMa v2. All shared this engaging sonic presentation. I could never work out how this was enabled, but it is marvelous. The cabinetry is in a class of its own.
They should provide you with decades of joy.