Linked Events

• Melody Hi Fi / Angel City Audio Event: 15 Dec 2012

Melody Hi Fi / Angel City Audio Event

JoshK

Re: Melody Hi Fi / Angel City Audio Event
« Reply #40 on: 16 Dec 2012, 05:19 am »
Thanks.  I thought the gain might be a misprint, as that is really high.  In reality, it matters only if it works in the system in context.   

I was looking to see what participants thought on the gain of the preamp.  But many might not have played with it.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #41 on: 16 Dec 2012, 02:20 pm »
Ditto... what Sunil said... & it was great to finally meet saisunil!

Thanks to Deepak and his family once again for great hospitality!!!

I had a wonderful time... wish we lived closer & I could stay later... just got home 3 hours later...  :duh:

The Angel City / Melody gear was extremely musical and appeared to have fantastic build quality & definitely had Eye Appeal!!!  :thumb:

I was impressed with Hugh's prototype DAC & HAL's (Rich's) MS-1 (was very impressed at RMAF as well!)

It was great seeing everyone & we should do this more often!

Happy Holidays,
Pete

What is Hugh's prototype DAC?  :scratch:

ptmconsulting

« Reply #42 on: 16 Dec 2012, 03:18 pm »
Thanks again Deepak and Hugh. All that planning and preparation and shipping of equipment, and a 10 page thread leading up to the day ... then a sorry turnout. Where were all you NJ guys? There were more LI and CT people than anyone local! Shame on you.

OK, it's a busy season, I get it.

Anyway, we all had a great time. I made it about 1/10th of the way through the $1 bin at Princeton records and still racked up a nice stack of vinyl to clean and play over the holidays. Those Melody pre's and amps sura are nice looking. They sound great and at a reasonable price too. The digital setup with that $300 DAC upstairs with the big Zu's sounded very nice indeed. Far better than playing CD's through that rig. That little DAC sure tamed them. The main system downstairs had it's share of an audience too. Some of us fell asleep and added to the ambient noise (Campy!) but it was a mighty enjoyable time in a very comfy room.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas all.

mjosef

« Reply #43 on: 16 Dec 2012, 09:19 pm »

2. Upstairs - second bedroom had the most balanced sound for me - it was very easy to listen to this system without finding anything wrong -  Hugh's new prototype DAC ($299) has something to do with this I believe  :thumb: Nice sound from the Melody KT88 tube integrated. This was my favorite room.

Same here, but with the Toshiba doing cd playback(not with the 299 DAC)...this system reproduced my demo(Vol.6) music the best...with the best center seated position pulled forward one foot (closer to the speakers, inside of the driver's centered axis).

Downstairs I preferred the black preamp(cheaper one?) over the silver one in this particular system, had a bit more body in the midrange to my ears.

More photos here:http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=8145924025/a=13363173025_13363173025/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

shadowlight

« Reply #44 on: 18 Dec 2012, 04:26 pm »
Thanks everyone.  It was fun catching up with everyone and enjoying some tunes.

I like to thank Hugh, Rich (HAL), Dusty (CIAudio) and Pete (Triode Pete) for making the event a successful event by bring / shipping equipment.

Listening to the MS1 with Dusty's Transient DAC was an eye opener on how computer audio setup correctly will sound.  My current source is Logitech Touch with Soundcheck software mods.  Will seriously have to consider looking at computer audio in couple of months provided I find good source for hirez files for the type of music I listen to at reasonable price.

The highlight for me was listening to the M845 with both preamps.  The sound stage was wide and deep.  Just wish I had done a better job in getting rid of the bass bloom.  Should have stuck with carpet spikes instead of the putting granite tiles under the Soul Superfly.

Will post some pictures later today after I find the camera  :duh:

saisunil

« Reply #45 on: 18 Dec 2012, 05:30 pm »
Deepak if I were you - I'd keep MS1 and Transient DAC and rip existing music collection ...
Bass can be hard to tame ... I think you could benefit from corner traps and possibly even in the rear ceiling as it forms a well ... more $$$  :duh: :lol:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #46 on: 18 Dec 2012, 06:59 pm »
Deepak,
Glad to hear that you enjoyed you time with the MS-1.  The Transient MKII is a great sounding DAC with the MS-1 system.

shadowlight

« Reply #47 on: 18 Dec 2012, 07:07 pm »
Deepak if I were you - I'd keep MS1 and Transient DAC and rip existing music collection ...
Bass can be hard to tame ... I think you could benefit from corner traps and possibly even in the rear ceiling as it forms a well ... more $$$  :duh: :lol:

Yeah, the only problem is i can only afford to buy one of the two items and there is dependency between the two items  :lol:.  Also, have couple of other projects that are partially done which require the same play money (refurbishing empire turntable), maybe I can sneak it by the better half  :scratch:.

shadowlight

« Reply #48 on: 23 Dec 2012, 12:15 am »